• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) We may experience a temporary downtime. Thanks for the patience.

Logan Dafne Keen as X-23

What do yall think Laura's fascination with horses was? She was riding on the horse carousel, she was petting the Munson's family horses, and there's a scene where she's holding a toy horse (which I assume she stole from the convenience store).

What do yall think Laura's fascination with horses was? She was riding on the horse carousel, she was petting the Munson's family horses, and there's a scene where she's holding a toy horse (which I assume she stole from the convenience store).
She grew up in a lab, so I presume she's never seen horses before and was fascinated by them. I thought it was really cute, plus there's good character beats where Logan notices her fascination with horses.

She grew up in a lab, so I presume she's never seen horses before and was fascinated by them. I thought it was really cute, plus there's good character beats where Logan notices her fascination with horses.

Yep, some great moments there. Laura also had me rolling in the dinner scene, with Logan having to show her dinner table etiquette.

Hmm...I'm thinking that it's part of a larger theme related to vehicles, although i'm not completely clear on that theme. Horses were vehicles back in the Shane days, and certainly as mentioned elsewhere on these boards, both Logan and Laura have an affinity for animals that highlights their feral natures.

I loved the scene that contrasted horses with driverless trucks -- the vehicles of the past vs. the vehicles of the future -- both somewhat mindless in their own way.

Speaking of vehicles, I thought that when Logan was trying to drive out of the desert compound in the first act, his car ends up being a surrogate for himself, with claws on the front (the razor wire from the fence stuck to the front of the car).

I got the feeling that although Logan worked as a driver, he was the one being taken for a ride at least in the beginning -- not really captain of his fate. Which reminds me that the Professor's vehicle avatar was a boat!

Not sure how I can wrap this up - thoughts, anyone?

Dafne hasn't said much in interviews in English, but she gave a slightly longer one in Spanish a few days ago (http://www.fotogramas.es/Cinefilia/Dafne-Keen-las-nuevas-garras-de-Lobezno). A couple of takeaways--she "100% wants" to be an actress now, before she had thought of being a chemist or biologist or veterinarian but now she's decided she'd prefer acting because she doesn't like math. And she is expecting to make an independent movie in Puerto Rico this summer, tentatively called "Ana".

It seems to me that turning the Laura character into a franchise certainly could work, but in many ways it would have to resemble Harry Potter more than a conventional superhero movie. That is, the series would have to be in large part about the kids growing up, so you would need one or more adult authority/surrogate parent figures for Laura and the other mutants. Dafne was the same age when she made Logan that Daniel Radcliffe was when he made the first Potter movie.

Oops, I forgot about Captain Marvel! BW just wouldn't be as Disney friendly, but hopefully Fox will capitalize on the Laura train and get a female solo film in the works sooner, rather than later.
If they shifted focus to Laura right away it would take the spotlight away from Jackman (and Stewart), which is not their intention right now.

It seems to me that turning the Laura character into a franchise certainly could work, but in many ways it would have to resemble Harry Potter more than a conventional superhero movie. That is, the series would have to be in large part about the kids growing up, so you would need one or more adult authority/surrogate parent figures for Laura and the other mutants. Dafne was the same age when she made Logan that Daniel Radcliffe was when he made the first Potter movie.
There's Laura's extended family on her mother's side - which hasn't been elaborated on, not to mention adult villains like Kimura that could be used. Gambit could also be used with Laura too, if we're rather daring. If she interacts with member of the X-Force through time travel shenanigans, then that'll be its own dynamic too. Plenty of flexibility in terms of who Laura can be with.

Laura is her own character though, wouldn't necessarily say focusing on her would shift the focus away from Hugh and Patrick. I think if anything a solo Laura film would actually dwell with the aftermath of how Laura feels, being responsible for both of their deaths and keep those actors lingering around our consciousness a bit longer.

Yes, bring back Liev! Sabertooth also has history with characters like Deadpool, so I can definitely see him becoming a big villain in the R-rated corner of the X-verse. It'd be frightening to see an R-rated Sabertooth!

I hope we get to see more of X-23 in future films, and preferably with the same actress.

She was fantastic in this film and I'd hate for this to be her only appearance.

Translation of what Laura was yelling in the car when she first started talking. "Why would I speak to you. You have been rude and insulting and tried to leave me twice."

Not an exact translation but paraphrasing.

Also when she hits Logan in the face, she yells Vamanos, which means "let's go."

Victor Creed could always pop back up as well.

giphy.gif

PS PM me about what you thought about my podcast LOGAN review.

Translation of what Laura was yelling in the car when she first started talking. "Why would I speak to you. You have been rude and insulting and tried to leave me twice."

Not an exact translation but paraphrasing.

Also when she hits Logan in the face, she yells Vamanos, which means "let's go."
The funniest part is that Jim cut the most vulgar of her lines according to Dafne.

I don't know if this has been posted before, but Simon Kinberg said this back in February:
Again, the real criteria is always to find a story that can really be unique, distinct, compelling, surprising, bold… all of that. She’s an amazing character, and Dafne does a great job launching the character in the film, so I think there’s a good chance you’ll see something of that kind down the line… at least I hope so.
So an X-23 movie might well happen. :chd:

Dafne's audition tape with Hugh has been uploaded on 20th Century Fox's channel.

Late to this, but ...

I think it was to remind the audience that despite the combat skills and the killing, she's still just a young girl.

Lots of young girls go through their "horse/pony" phase. That's why something like My Little Pony got so popular back in the 80's.

Plus, you know ... Horses fit into the whole "western thing."

Hutch Parker on X23

IGN: There’s been chatter about Dafne Keen returning in some capacity as X-23 and Mangold hasn’t ruled it out. But do you think that bringing her back could in some way diminish the effect of Logan as a film? Because Logan has such a sort of finality to it.

Hutch Parker: I don't. I don't think so, because it goes back to the same bottom line which is -- and this is where Jim is sort of a brilliant custodian of these characters and a brilliant storyteller -- the impetus for him to make a movie is that he really feel passionately and strongly that he has a story that's worth telling. And you know he's as far from a cynical filmmaker as you can get. He's as passionate and as committed and as invested as you can imagine, and as a result it's its own guarantor if you will as to what an X-23 movie or a Laura movie would be. It's another way of saying he wouldn't do it just to do it. He will only do it if he finds a story that he thinks is worthy of standing on its own and where the X-23 character and the story being told is one that will compel and excite audiences, not in the same way as Logan because I think it will be different, but that will be successful in its own right, by its own measure, by the assessment of its own qualities and for the audience to embrace as something unique and sort of contained to itself. So I do think there is room for that, but it is incumbent on us to make sure that we find a story that really meets that criteria.

IGN: So you don't see it as being the kind of thing where she suddenly shows up in The New Mutants or something? You see it as more of a continuation of the Mangold version of the character?

HP: Yeah, I mean, look -- I don't know definitively, but in terms of the stuff we've been talking about, it's not sort of slipping her into the background of another movie. It's looking at that character, which is a great character and has a pretty interesting run within the comics, to find a story that we think she could carry or certainly be kind of majorly significant within. That's the only kind of thing that Jim as a storyteller, a filmmaker… that's the way his sort of process works. And the way his mind works in terms of what he would aspire to. Which isn’t to say that the studio couldn’t have a conversation about something else, but the one that we've been kind of discussing loosely and kicking around is more likely to be its own film.

IGN: Deadpool wound up being a huge success while you were still making Logan, so did that make it easier for you guys to go fully R-rated?

HP: In many ways, it would probably be a more interesting story if I told you yes, because it would imply challenges which are always more interesting than successes. But the truth is we had a tremendous amount of support from Fox about Logan from the very beginning. And you know it was Jim's desire kind of from the outset that it be R, and not for any arbitrary reason or because he had any obsession with making an R-rated movie, but because the story he was interested in telling was best told with the flexibility an R gave us -- that you were telling a story that required consequence, that you felt the results and the potential dangers of the world in which Logan and Laura and Charles find themselves in, and that you were achieving the appropriate emotional impact and achieving the appropriate sort of either tragedy or victory, depending on how you see some of these moments. That was dependent on being able to put the audience in this state of mind. And so pretty much from the beginning that was the intention and Fox was supportive of it, and I think we've been really lucky because Fox has realized that. It goes back a ways obviously, because you know it was something we were talking about coming off of The Wolverine, the previous film in Japan.

It's indicative of the movement Fox has made towards bold filmmakers and bold storytelling, both within the genre, but I feel pretty strongly looking at the slate kind of outside of the genre too. And so it really is part of their philosophical and strategic mandate. And I think that's probably what made both Deadpool and Logan easier experiences than they could have been. You have a company that had decided, we're going to bank on boldness and filmmakers, on originality, and that that seems like a better strategy for a more challenging marketplace than doing what's been done before. And I believe they’re right, and right as evidenced by The Martian, right as evidenced by Hidden Figures, right as evidenced by any number of films they've done over the last four or five years. So you know, that helps too. When a studio is having success with a certain methodology, they can lean into that more successfully and I definitely think that's been my experience these last four or five years at Fox.

IGN: This is kind of a nerdy question I guess, but the thing about Logan too is that you guys even went so far as to kill all the X-Men. James Mangold recently told me that in an earlier version of the script the film actually opened with a scene showing their deaths. Can you speak a bit about that and the decision to ultimately not depict that scene?

HP: Yes, it was going to depict certain characters. And yet we realized as we were kind of conceiving the movie and the approach that as much as that felt like an important incident, the deeper we got into the telling of the Logan story the more we realized it was sort of background. It was actually a background context for why they’re living the way they're living and didn't feel like it warranted depiction. We wanted to stay closer to Logan and keep it to being a much more intimate and directly connected story rather than reaching outside of the time in which the movie takes place to do a flashback or that sort of a conceit. So it really grew more out of just a decision that Jim was making on how best to tell this story than anything else, and I think in hindsight it was the right decision. And if you listen to the newscast that describes that [in the movie], it actually says some of the X-Men were killed. It doesn't kill all of them. So we left ourselves a little wiggle room!

Last edited:
The choice not to include the 'incident' was brilliant. The whole scope and emotional weight of the movie would be messed up beyond saving if they showed that scene.

I hope we get to see more of X-23 in future films, and preferably with the same actress.

She was fantastic in this film and I'd hate for this to be her only appearance.

Impossible to get X-23 in X-men movies or spin-off setting in present or past, she is a future characrter!

Or they will make another Laura present day like we had and 2nd Emma in FC or a 2nd Deadpool

Its really a mayhem this franchise

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"