Daily Planet Reporter Clark Kent, do you still want to see him?

ManWithNoName18

Sidekick
Reaction score
With the end of BVS, Clark Kent has an obituary in the newspaper. And in the ultimate cut people from the Daily Planet show up to his funeral.

Is Clark gone from the DCEU?
Will Kal El be Superman full time when he returns?
How will this affect his story going forward?

Or do you want some weird science/magic/retcon thing to explain Clark Kent coming back?

Find a way to bring him back. The Clark/Superman dynamic is one my favorite things about the character.

Yes. Clark Kent is the soul of Superman.

I don't even think Clark's return needs to be explained in depth.

Something as simple as Clark having a meeting with Perry who tries to explain his abscence. Perry, naturally, doesn't let him explain by making sarcastically outlandish guesses which can be played for laughs (sabbatical in a Brazilian brothel? backpacking with Tibetan monks?). At the end of his rant Perry says he doesn't want to know (he clearly knows Clark is Superman?) and threatens to fire him if he ever disappears like that again.

And there you go. Clark Kent, mild mannered reporter of the Daily Planet, is back.

Last edited:
Yes. Clark Kent is the soul of Superman.

I don't even think Clark's return needs to be explained in depth.

Something as simple as Clark having a meeting with Perry who tries to explain his abscence. Perry, naturally, doesn't let him explain by making sarcastically outlandish guesses which can be played for laughs (sabbatical in a Brazilian brothel? backpacking with Tibetan monks?). At the end of his rant Perry says he doesn't want to know (he clearly knows Clark is Superman?) and threatens to fire him if he ever disappears like that again.

And there you go. Clark Kent, mild mannered reporter of the Daily Planet, is back.

Good ideas.

Yeah I definitely want more Clark Kent, Daily Planet reporter going forward. It's so integral to the Superman mythos.

I'm thinking maybe they thought, in this grounded Universe, that it was a little too ridiculous having Clark Kent walking around unrecognized just because of a pair of glasses. So they decided to stay true to that aspect of the mythology, but just get it out of the way, discard it, and move forward without that aspect of the character. Maybe he comes back and reveals that he was Clark Kent, and just goes full time Kal El, without a secret identity. All a big part of their attempts to mature the story, make Superman "grow up". They straight killed Superman's Pal Jimmy Olsen, basically saying "This ain't your grandaddy's Superman!" So I wouldn't be surprised if they felt the mild mannered reporter angle could go out the window as well.

But Idk, I still want more of the reporter Kent, I feel like we didn't get enough in the Theatrical Cut, and it's such an essential part of the character.

If Batman is the dominant persona of Bruce Wayne/Batman dichotomy then Clark Kent is the dominant persona of Clark Kent/Superman dichotomy.

Killing off Clark Kent is killing off Superman IMO.

Taking a page from the Doomsday story, they can have a Cyborg Clark Kent replace him now: it will simply be a journalism bot that does the writing for him. :o

At the moment, I do think if Snyder wants a fully established, fully formed Super world, he needs to bring back Clark. Not completely sure how he does that though. The only way I can see is if the people at the Smallville funeral know Clark's secret and decide to keep it. With the Daily Planet then doing an article saying Clark was presumed dead, but he's since been found.

Save his return for MOS 2 with someone else in charge.

Must find a way to bring him back. Kent is integral to Superman's story.

Yes! I think Supes as Clark the reporter is one of the best ways Supes can help humanity. His powers and endurance would let him go after really dangerous stories and bring them to light.

Gawd yes, I want him back. Not only was it interesting to see but its also where Clark gets his normal human friends.

I have full faith they will bring him back, I think it's easier said than people think aswell. His new buddy Bruce is a resourceful man.

If Batman is the dominant persona of Bruce Wayne/Batman dichotomy then Clark Kent is the dominant persona of Clark Kent/Superman dichotomy.
No thanks, I hate the whole "Clark Kent is the real person, Superman is a mask" interpretation.

I don't think the reporter identity is that important.

But I do want Clark to have a secret identity.

The Daily Planet Reporter Clark Kent secret identity is vital to Superman, as both an icon and a character. Without that aspect of him, you have a lesser character.

Bring him back.

No thanks, I hate the whole "Clark Kent is the real person, Superman is a mask" interpretation.

Indeed, because "Clark Kent is who I am, Superman is what I can do" is Byrne era nonsense that fundamentally misses the point of the whole character.

He can't really try and live a normal life without his Clark Kent identity. It throws out much of the relationship dynamics people want to see. People want to see the Clark Kent who rushes into an alley, phonebooth or anywhere out of sight to change into Superman.

The Daily Planet Reporter Clark Kent secret identity is vital to Superman, as both an icon and a character. Without that aspect of him, you have a lesser character.

Bring him back.

Indeed, because "Clark Kent is who I am, Superman is what I can do" is Byrne era nonsense that fundamentally misses the point of the whole character.

Couldn't have said it better. :up:

Bring him back, and as others are saying, it wouldn't take much to bring him back.

They can keep him dead as far as I care, wasn't much to the character anyways. I'd rather just see 2 hours of mindless action rather than what we've seen in the last 2 instalments.

Of course I want to see Daily Planet reporter Clark. I think with some clever writing, they can easily have him back at the Planet. Just make it so Perry knows Clark is Superman, but he doesn't treat him any different and generally acts like he doesn't know.

Clark working at the Planet is one of the biggest aspects of the character, getting rid of that does a huge disservice to Superman's alter ego, and basically makes his superhero side the only interesting aspect.

Definitely not. It was an open casket. His character arc is a boy growing up with no real friends and misrepresenting himself to every human being except his parents. Then he tells Lois.
Not from a comic point of view but from a narrative that I think makes sense, he should be who he is. He's gonna keep going missing on random weekdays and come up with an excuse every time? With everything else trying to stay grounded( in a world with living gods lol) I'd be happy to lose the silly glasses disguise.

Good ideas.

Yeah I definitely want more Clark Kent, Daily Planet reporter going forward. It's so integral to the Superman mythos.

I'm thinking maybe they thought, in this grounded Universe, that it was a little too ridiculous having Clark Kent walking around unrecognized just because of a pair of glasses. So they decided to stay true to that aspect of the mythology, but just get it out of the way, discard it, and move forward without that aspect of the character. Maybe he comes back and reveals that he was Clark Kent, and just goes full time Kal El, without a secret identity. All a big part of their attempts to mature the story, make Superman "grow up". They straight killed Superman's Pal Jimmy Olsen, basically saying "This ain't your grandaddy's Superman!" So I wouldn't be surprised if they felt the mild mannered reporter angle could go out the window as well.

But Idk, I still want more of the reporter Kent, I feel like we didn't get enough in the Theatrical Cut, and it's such an essential part of the character.

This. It makes sense. But due to backlash they'd receive he'll be brought back in a ridiculous way and then THAT will get bashed. It will likely deserve it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"