Damn you DC

Eros said:
But saying kon-el dieing is worse then dick Grayson, a character that is pure classic is little over the top.
No, I'd say it's just about even with the top. It and the top are juxtaposed snugly, in fact.
fifthfiend said:
Meaningful except they bled all the meaning out of his character and then sent him off to die.

He got mind-****ed by Luthor, sulked a bunch, got the **** slapped out of him by Emoboy, and then he got beaten to death, in the process of not actually beating Emoboy. What ****ing kind of meaning is that? It's like they gave him a three-act character arc, got two acts in, and said **** it, we're just gonna kill him right here.

Oh well. 'Least he finally got to nail Cassie.

Although even that's a bunch of crap, cause they never should've killed off Tana Moon.:mad:
Seriously. They should've let Conner lead the Legion or the modern-day heroes or someone in the final battle that took down Super***** Prime. If Conner was being offered up as a sacrificial lamb for the sake of shock value anyway, the very least they could've done is allow him to go out in a blaze of glory, bringing the bastard who killed him down, instead of in a pathetic and ultimately pointless whimper.

Just to throw this out there, but I was just thinking -

If DC were to write off the current suck-ass Supergirl as an evil clone, then have her be set upon by the just-appeared Real Supergirl, with said Real Supergirl written basically as a total, unabashed ripoff of the DCAU Supergirl

- would that be the most fantastic thing ever, or just one of the most fantastic things ever?

I was watching some Justice League the other day and it just hits me hey look at that, Supergirl is youthful and rebellious and of no mind to take all too much bull**** from her older cousin, yet in a way that does not make her utterly loathesome on every level, and, instead, a charming and likeable character both as a counterpoint to Superman and in her own right. It was like hey look at that, I guess that wasn't so impossible to do after all.

Dan Didido is an Idiot. In ten years we'll be cursing his name just like we do Lifeld. Killing Superboy, Blue Beetle, Firestorm, Sue Dibney and Booster Gold is unforgivable. I want his head on a stick.

Phatman said:
Dan Didido is an Idiot. In ten years we'll be cursing his name just like we do Lifeld. Killing Superboy, Blue Beetle, Firestorm, Sue Dibney and Booster Gold is unforgivable. I want his head on a stick.
Is spelling his name wrong supposed to be subtle jab at him, or can you just not spell?

fifthfiend said:

If DC were to write off the current suck-ass Supergirl as an evil clone, then have her be set upon by the just-appeared Real Supergirl, with said Real Supergirl written basically as a total, unabashed ripoff of the DCAU Supergirl

- would that be the most fantastic thing ever, or just one of the most fantastic things ever?

I was watching some Justice League the other day and it just hits me hey look at that, Supergirl is youthful and rebellious and of no mind to take all too much bull**** from her older cousin, yet in a way that does not make her utterly loathesome on every level, and, instead, a charming and likeable character both as a counterpoint to Superman and in her own right. It was like hey look at that, I guess that wasn't so impossible to do after all.
The animated Supergirl never really held my interest either. Still, she wasn't anywhere near as annoying as the current Supergirl in the comics is, so I suppose it'd be some improvement.

I still like Matrix. I always liked the '90s/'00s Superman family, especially the part where none of them were really relatives of Clark. It created a nice sense that although he was an orphan, he'd taken these others who were each orphans in their own way and forged a real family.

F*** DCAU Supergirl. Bring back Matrix. She's the only one that ever mattered.

She had fire wings. How many of these Supergirl posers can say the same? None, that's how many. There, I did your counting for you.

TheCorpulent1 said:
No, I'd say it's just about even with the top. It and the top are juxtaposed snugly, in fact.

Seriously. They should've let Conner lead the Legion or the modern-day heroes or someone in the final battle that took down Super***** Prime. If Conner was being offered up as a sacrificial lamb for the sake of shock value anyway, the very least they could've done is allow him to go out in a blaze of glory, bringing the bastard who killed him down, instead of in a pathetic and ultimately pointless whimper.
Pointless? Are you kidding? If the tower stands, Alex succeeds! Alex himself can be heard saying that Superboy wrecked his plans, shortly before SBP destroys his worldview.

Phatman said:
Right, because any comics fan who respects the genre as a mature medium of storytelling is SO missing Blue Beetle and Booster Gold right now. And gosh, Mr. and Mrs. Elongated Man sure brought a real-world seriousness that made stories interesting, yes sir.

I just know that all you people mourning Kon's death are the same ones who were *****ing about him when he was introduced.

TheCorpulent1 said:
She had fire wings. How many of these Supergirl posers can say the same? None, that's how many. There, I did your counting for you.
F**K Matrix. Give me back the REAL Kara. Who the f**k cares about fire wings, the original Kara was a HERO.

The original Kara was a semi-****** who Kal shipped off to an orphanage and then she spent all her time trying to sublimate the creepy incest-crush they both had on each other by setting him up with orange-sun Supergirls she thought he should bang.

I'd stake my firstborn on the fact that if Nightwing had died instead of Superboy, there'd be just as much whining from the fans as there are people whining right now that Superboy died instead. I mean, come on with this whimsy about how Superboy's death ruined so many more characters than Nightwing's death would have; those are flat-out assumptions. If that anti-matter blast had left Nightwing as a mangled corpse at Batman's feet, everyone would still be btching up the wall about how awful a decision it was and how DC totally made the wrong choice and ruined everything and etc etc etc.

If DC had killed both of them, it would have been too depressing. If DC had killed neither of them, there would have been no emotional stakes other than the sacrificing of a few random D and F-listers. Ultimately and personally, I think they made the right choice. Superboy's death made much more sense within the narrative and within the characters' own arcs leading up to IC.

It's really too bad that there weren't nearly enough issues to carry out the Legion idea that Johns had; that would have been badass. Although, I'm not sure why people are getting the impression that Superboy would have survived if only they had gone forward with this idea; there's no indication of that, and they never suggested it. The only reason Johns and Jimenez cited for this plan not coming across is due to lack of time and space, not because they all of a sudden decided that Superboy needed to die. Conner could have died fighting Superboy-Prime just as easily with the Legion or without, so long as it was the story that they wanted to tell. And, obviously, it was.

BrianWilly said:
I'd stake my firstborn on the fact that if Nightwing had died instead of Superboy, there'd be just as much whining from the fans as there are people whining right now that Superboy died instead.

Why are you saying that like it's something in dispute here? Pretty much the conversation thus far has been to the effect of whether killing Nightwing would have been a more or less ****ty decision than killing Kon-El, I'm pretty sure most people here agree that both constitute ****ty, pointless decisions.

If DC had killed neither of them, there would have been no emotional stakes other than the sacrificing of a few random D and F-listers.

Because god forbid DC manage to tell an emotionally resonant story without using character slaughter as a plot crutch, I mean it's not like anyone in the entire history of literature ever managed that before.

Ultimately and personally, I think they made the right choice.

I'm sorry, I was too busy watching you calling everyone who disagrees with you a whiner to notice why I'm supposed to give two ****s about what you personally think is the right choice.:up:

Should I have called you "constructive criticizers" instead? Fans whine. It's not news. I whine. You whine. Everyone here has been whining. That was my whole point: you're never going to please everyone, because someone is always going to find something to whine about. Hell, Nightwing survived, and people are still somehow unhappy about that! And then y'all somehow gained psychic powers and are telling me that it would have been much better if Nightwing had died instead of Superboy? Please. You have absolutely no way of knowing that. That counts as whining in my book.

Meanwhile, I must have imagined all those posts throughout the months, some of them in this very thread, stating that Conner's death was well-executed and meaningful. Or did you just completely ignore every opinion in this thread that didn't coincide with your own and claim that yours was the sole majority? Nah, that couldn't be it.

Death is a powerful narrative tool. You want to rag on DC for using it, you might as well rag on every single other story in every single artistic medium that has ever used it as well. Call Kara Zor-El and Barry Allen's deaths in the original Crisis a "plot crutch." Tell Chris Claremont he was just arbitrarily slaughtering a character when Jean Grey committed suicide to save the world from her. It's never going to be a flawless tool, but I'd argue that there are times when killing a character off is a bit more appropriate than others. In my opinion, Conner's death was one of those times. Oh I'm sorry, you don't give a **** about my personal opinions. Maybe I should just keep quiet from now on, just to make you happy:rolleyes:.

Sloth7d said:
If Nightwing died then Jason Todd would have nothing that makes him special.
Not so. He'd still have his own special brand of suck.

Green Lantern said:
F**K Matrix. Give me back the REAL Kara. Who the f**k cares about fire wings, the original Kara was a HERO.
Who cares about fire wings? Awesome people. Who else.

BrianWilly said:
Meanwhile, I must have imagined all those posts throughout the months, some of them in this very thread, stating that Conner's death was well-executed and meaningful.

Okay, I'm gonna have to take a minute here to teach you to count.

There was, let's all look now... one.

And um...

Yeah, there was the one.

Now a quick grammar lesson, the word 'some'? That's what we call a plural word, which refers to a quantity more than one.

... oh yeah and that one? Even he thought the bit with the Flashes was stupid.

And then y'all somehow gained psychic powers and are telling me that it would have been much better if Nightwing had died instead of Superboy? Please. You have absolutely no way of knowing that.

So you think it takes psychic powers to be capable of rendering a judgment or making a prediction? Okay yeah, you've been reading way too many comic books.

Maybe I should just keep quiet from now on, just to make you happy.

Um, I'm not the one who won't stop *****ing about other people's whining.

I mean dang, sorry there's one thread on the internet where everyone didn't enjoy Superboy's ****ty, meaningless death. Could you please work up some mental torque and get over yourself, now?

fifthfiend said:

And then I was like, "Hey look at that, another example of people giving the DCAU way more than its due! Another person who has clearly forgotten that this is the same team that gave us the BTAS episode where Bruce gets lost in some old-west mining slave camp, and the other one with the guy turning the other guy into the cat." Seriously, folks, the Timmverse/Diniverse/DCAU was great. For awhile, I enjoyed it more than the DCU. But it had its flaws. Supergirl was not perfect. I don't mind the DCU's Supergirl. She acts like a ****ing teenage girl would! What's wrong with that? Why do all Kryptonians have to be [insert gender] Scouts?

BrianWilly said:
Meanwhile, I must have imagined all those posts throughout the months, some of them in this very thread, stating that Conner's death was well-executed and meaningful. Or did you just completely ignore every opinion in this thread that didn't coincide with your own and claim that yours was the sole majority? Nah, that couldn't be it.
They don't listen to me. They think I'm a fanboy because my metafictional philosophy is that what happens within a fictive universe should be treated not as if it was a creation, but as if it were a universe in its own right; therefore, writers and companies are rarely to be blamed, except in cases of egregious failure to respect previous continuity and character history, and I do mean EGREGIOUS (a very very very big reason I hate Marvel so much); rather, characters should be held responsible for their own actions.

But since everything gets oversimplified here, people translate that in my being a fanboy who accepts whatever DC feeds me.

fifthfiend said:
Now a quick grammar lesson, the word 'some'? That's what we call a plural word, which refers to a quantity more than one.
Quick reading lesson, he was talking about the entire board, and only said "including in this thread." Not "only in this thread."

fifthfiend said:
Actually, he didn't. He thought it was sad. He wishes that Wally could come back somehow in a way that didn't demean and cheapen all the obvious foreshadowing of his departure in the Flash book. But it wasn't necessarily stupid. At least, he didn't think so.

fifthfiend said:
Oh yeah, well you started it man! No you did! No you did!

Blehrg. If we can't express displeasure at what can genuinely be called whining (what you're doing with regard to Superboy's death is whining) without being accused of whining ourselves, we might as well never talk about conversations or personal interactions again.

fifthfiend said:
Okay, I'm gonna have to take a minute here to teach you to count.

There was, let's all look now... one.

And um...

Yeah, there was the one.

Btching about grammar and semantics is a surefire way to make yourself sound more correct. Really.

:rolleyes:

You know what I was saying. Given the nature of a character dying, which would be odd if it did make everyone happy, there are probably more people who didn't appreciate Superboy's death than there are those who did. But that doesn't nearly mean that you're somehow in the overwhelming majority or something, and you know it. So don't act like like what I'm saying is just so indignant or offensive or whatever or that I'm the only one who's ever said it.

And what the hell does anything about the Flashes have anything to do with anything I was saying:confused:?
fifthfiend said:
So you think it takes psychic powers to be capable of rendering a judgment or making a prediction? Okay yeah, you've been reading way too many comic books.
Do I think it takes psychic powers to make a prediction about a nonexistent plotline?? Hell yes. You have no idea what would have happened if Superboy had survived and Nightwing had died. This is the fact. And yet, you are still using that nonexistent plot as a crutch to somehow complain more about the plot that actually exists.

That counts as whining in my book.

fifthfiend said:
I made a total of one -- maybe two if you stretch it -- comment about there's always going to be whining no matter what actually happens in the plot before you angrily jumped all over me for lord knows what reason. I mean sure, I guess one or two comments count as an inability to stop btching...if you have absolutely no idea what those terms mean.

I mean dang, sorry there's one post in the thread where everyone didn't hate Superboy's well-executed, meaningful death. Could you please work up some mental torque and get over yourself, now?

To this very moment you've been more interested in attacking me personally than actually responding to the points I've made. Well, I'm not interested. If you're not going to be able to handle differing opinions on a message board, could you just let me know now so I don't waste more of my time on this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"