Dark Avengers: Who would you put in the lineup?

godisawesome

Sidekick
Reaction score
There were some quiet rumors about this team as a possible film-headliner, and admittedly, if you wanted to play with the heroic legacy of the original MCU Avengers and get some cheap heat on new villains, this would be an easy way to do it.

So, if you were in charge of making a Dark Avengers lineup, who’s on it?

Osborne as Iron Patriot, or some other codename?

Black Widow II, since we know she’s showing up in the solo film?

Red Hulk, since they apparently considered the idea for one film?

Abomination, Red Hulk, Ghost, Winter Soldier, Iron Patriot, and Killmonger..................bring him back from the dead some how.

Supposedly the source for the DA rumor is the same one that said there'd be a Thunderbolts movie with Red Hulk, Ghost, Abomination, Zemo and Justin Hammer.

Assuming for the discussion that's all true, I'll guess the Dark Avengers lineup would not have any crossover, so I'll say:

Osborne/Iron Patriot
Klaue (reborn as living sound)
Mac Gargan (preferrably as Venom, but Scorpion is fine if Sony objects)
Mordo
Black Widow II

It’s a shame they couldn’t use bullseye.

Moonstone is a must

There is no reason they can't. IF a Dark Reign/Dark Avengers film or arc is going to be made (And it is still very much an IF...) then by the time they would get around to it the now less than two years hands off phase for the Netflix stable of characters will have long passed. Whether they recast/reboot or go with the same actor as in DD season 3 they can use Bullseye.

The big difference between Dark Avengers and Thunderbolts is that the lineup very specifically should be counterparts to the actual Avengers characters for Dark Avengers. So we should be seeing characters like Iron Patriot, Moonstone, Red Hulk, Venom, Baron Mordo, etc. Thunderbolts doesn't have that restriction.

There is no reason they can't. IF a Dark Reign/Dark Avengers film or arc is going to be made (And it is still very much an IF...) then by the time they would get around to it the now less than two years hands off phase for the Netflix stable of characters will have long passed. Whether they recast/reboot or go with the same actor as in DD season 3 they can use Bullseye.
There is a big reason they cant. Its a marvel tv production and feige had nothing to do with it. That pretty much puts a stop in it.

The big difference between Dark Avengers and Thunderbolts is that the lineup very specifically should be counterparts to the actual Avengers characters for Dark Avengers. So we should be seeing characters like Iron Patriot, Moonstone, Red Hulk, Venom, Baron Mordo, etc. Thunderbolts doesn't have that restriction.

Dark Avengers first evolving into a Thunderbolts team later could be what we get, but there's a few possibilities...

"Director" = Norman Osborn
Iron Patriot = Zemo
US Agent = John Walker (introduced in Falcon & Winter Soldier)
Black Widow II = Yelena Belova
Taskmaster (filling in for Hawkeye in the absence of Bullseye)

...but then it's who to have in place of Hulk and Thor?

Abomination OR Red Hulk?
I'd like to see Martin Freeman's Elliot Ross be the MCU's Red Hulk rather than General Thaddeus Ross and if they don't introduce Ares then throw in Mordo as a Dr Strange counterpart instead.

There's also Ghost and Goliath that could work on the team as counterparts to Ant-Man and Wasp.

Sadly i don't think we'll get a Mac Gargan Venom which is the one character I would love to see.

There is a big reason they cant. Its a marvel tv production and feige had nothing to do with it. That pretty much puts a stop in it.
That has zero to do with anything. They cannot use the Netflix characters due two contracts for two years since the cease of production. That is the only thing stopping them. After that period is over they can use any of those characters in any fashion they want. They may roll them over using the same actors, they may reboot (as I stated already) but they can use them after that two year period.

I don't like Zemo as Iron Patriot. He should be a Captain America counterpart, not an Iron Man one. Leaving him as Citizen V is fine.

Osborne depends on rights issues. Ideally, I would like to have him. But if they can't use him, then Thunderbolt Ross would make a lot of sense as the leader of the group. Maybe with Justin Hammer as Iron Patriot.

I don't like Zemo as Iron Patriot. He should be a Captain America counterpart, not an Iron Man one. Leaving him as Citizen V is fine.

Osborne depends on rights issues. Ideally, I would like to have him. But if they can't use him, then Thunderbolt Ross would make a lot of sense as the leader of the group. Maybe with Justin Hammer as Iron Patriot.

I was thinking in terms of having a character closer to Cap than Citizen V and what to do with Zemo in that instance...
...on top of which I find Justin Hammer laughable as an armoured super hero/villain

That has zero to do with anything. They cannot use the Netflix characters due two contracts for two years since the cease of production. That is the only thing stopping them. After that period is over they can use any of those characters in any fashion they want. They may roll them over using the same actors, they may reboot (as I stated already) but they can use them after that two year period.

I thought with Netflix having "series rights" and Marvel retaining "character rights" that Marvel can't make more series of DD, JJ, LK, IF, Defenders and Punisher for two years after the respective series' cancellation but they can still use the characters? ...... Similar to how Hulk can appear in Avengers and other MCU titles without Universal's rights to distribute standalone Hulk films being an issue?

I was thinking in terms of having a character closer to Cap than Citizen V and what to do with Zemo in that instance...
...on top of which I find Justin Hammer laughable as an armoured super hero/villain

It seems totally in character for the MCU version of Hammer though. He's always been jealous of Tony Stark and has sought to imitate him.

The Thunderbolts could have a *lot* more flexibility in terms of their roster, though I don’t think an MCU Dark Avengers would necessarily need as much of a 1-to-1 ration of Avengers counterparts, but would need equivalent powerhouses and sufficient heroic identities to believably frame themselves as successors to the Snap-ending Avengers, rather than impersonating the original members. That way, you can build into an in-universe narrative of them trying to run a long con with fewer outright deceptions.

Red Hulk feels like a gimme to me, just because he’s a decent evil counterpart who could still masquerade as a hero “honoring” Banner’s legacy. I don’t know if I’d have Ross turn into him, though, but if he did, I’d be up for a dramatically different physique for Red Hulk along with his heat-based power-set: maybe he’s got a more lean and veiny build, and he’s bald.

Black Widow II also feels like a gimme, since you could again just have her deliberately play herself up as Nat’s successor.

I really like the idea of Taskmaster instead of Bullseye for the badass normal character, at least in part because a strictly professional mercenary seems like a better fit than a psychopath who kills people for fun, and I’d enjoy having someone as uncomplicated as Tasky to contrast with everyone else on the team. Plus, they could believably make “Taskmaster” his public “heroic” identity; it might even be funny if he despises all the pageantry or super-villainy and super-heroics and has to put up with it.

I feel like Moonstone should be introduced and made into a Captain Marvel counterpart right now, just to bolster the team’s power and bring up their gender imbalance by taking Thor’s spot on the roster. However, since I think “successors” should be the pitch their giving the public, maybe she goes with just Moonstone or Photon or something?

It’s Cap and Tony whose counterparts feel a bit more difficult to me; I actually don’t want Iron Patriot, partially because Iron Man 3 already used the suit, but partially because I’d rather have Osborne try and become the Nick Fury counterpart and just have Green Goblin be his powerful alter-ego.

So how’s about this for the counterparts for Cap and Iron Man?

For Cap: of course, USAgent provides the framework for how to replace him, but I’d actually like it if they went with the more obnoxious “Super-Patriot” identity, and maybe kept the USAgent identity for a more self-aware and inherently more cynical would-be-Cap character for Falcon and Bucky’s TV show. So... I’d say John Walker as USAgent for a more morally ambiguous character (who could maybe join the Thunderbolts after being set right by Sam and Bucky), and then William Burnside as Super Patriot... or even just have him have the balls to insist he’s the new Captain America.

Okay, here’s the crazy one: to replace Tony Stark?

Doctor Doom.

Now, no duh, he wouldn’t call himself that, but consider how good of a twist that would be: the replacement for Stark is also a counterpart for Doctor Strange and for Black Panther. And that could be how you’d introduce the Fantastic Four elements.

Red Hulk feels like a gimme to me, just because he’s a decent evil counterpart who could still masquerade as a hero “honoring” Banner’s legacy. I don’t know if I’d have Ross turn into him, though, but if he did, I’d be up for a dramatically different physique for Red Hulk along with his heat-based power-set: maybe he’s got a more lean and veiny build, and he’s bald.

Are you suggesting Dwayne Johnson for Rulk there?

Okay, here’s the crazy one: to replace Tony Stark?

Doctor Doom.

Now, no duh, he wouldn’t call himself that, but consider how good of a twist that would be: the replacement for Stark is also a counterpart for Doctor Strange and for Black Panther. And that could be how you’d introduce the Fantastic Four elements.

If the team was made up of a roster more reminiscent of the Cabal maybe but i don't think Doom would serve under Osborne as a member of Dark Avengers or Thunderbolts, he's his own man with his own agenda.

Yeah if you did Doom, he’d have to clearly be playing Osborne and Ross for fools.

Still, if you wanted to establish a hierarchy with Doom as one of the most dangerous villains of Marvel, that’d be a quick way to do it.

Oh, i dont disagree that they will use them eventually. My point is that when they do it wont be the netflix versions. Its pretty evident feige doesnt include characters in the main mcu that he hasnt hasnt overseen

Abomination makes more immediate sense than Red Hulk to me. He’s already on the table, ready to use without any real need to explain him or set him up.

They could say abomination has mutated and become red hulk

Or similar to the comic some of the DA are being given treatments to make them appear in forms that more readily mimic the heroes they are replacing and to stabilise they personalities like with the Gargan version of Venom.

Abomination makes more immediate sense than Red Hulk to me. He’s already on the table, ready to use without any real need to explain him or set him up.

Ross has been present in multiple films though and far more recently. As a character he has had more build and exposure. Abomination hasn't been seen in over a decade.

Ross has been present in multiple films though and far more recently. As a character he has had more build and exposure. Abomination hasn't been seen in over a decade.

I still think General Ross as Red Hulk could be what we're going to be led to expect and then as a twist they'll make Elliot Ross the Red Hulk. It would be a great move to make use of Martin Freeman's character that way and age-wise he's probably more up to the demands of playing a bigger role... Sam Elliot's 75

I still think General Ross as Red Hulk could be what we're going to be led to expect and then as a twist they'll make Elliot Ross the Red Hulk. It would be a great move to make use of Martin Freeman's character that way and age-wise he's probably more up to the demands of playing a bigger role... Sam Elliot's 75

William Hurt is 69. Sam Elliot played Ross in the Ang Lee version. Hurt is actually younger than Samuel L Jackson is, and unlike Jackson in films like Captain Marvel, almost all of his action would be CGI anyways.

William Hurt is 69. Sam Elliot played Ross in the Ang Lee version. Hurt is actually younger than Samuel L Jackson is, and unlike Jackson in films like Captain Marvel, almost all of his action would be CGI anyways.
Haha yeah
It's weird, I've watched the films over and over but when I walk away from em i still remember Elliot as Ross ..... My brain just wants to retcon it for some reason I guess
:p

... anyway, the point was, an actor Freeman's age would be better for Rulk if we're wanting another decade of appearances in a role more prominent than Ross has had so far, and despite the fact he's not had a great deal to do so far, I think Elliot Ross has got potential to be a key figure in the MCUs earthbound phase 4 stories.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"