Dark Avengers: Who would you put in the lineup?

Ross has been present in multiple films though and far more recently. As a character he has had more build and exposure. Abomination hasn't been seen in over a decade.

The Ross we’ve seen recently is barely the same character as the one he originally appeared as and his connection and motivations regarding the Hulk have been all but dropped. I think it would come across as quite sudden and out of the blue for him to suddenly become a Hulk on his own.

I think it’s far simpler to just have them use the evil Hulk they already have and just go with it there. At least with Blonsky his motivations and character arc don’t need to be given a great amount of time; the guy’s just a monster. Ross and his transformation into Red Hulk is a far more complex character to depict.

The Ross we’ve seen recently is barely the same character as the one he originally appeared as and his connection and motivations regarding the Hulk have been all but dropped. I think it would come across as quite sudden and out of the blue for him to suddenly become a Hulk on his own.

I think it’s far simpler to just have them use the evil Hulk they already have and just go with it there. At least with Blonsky his motivations and character arc don’t need to be given a great amount of time; the guy’s just a monster. Ross and his transformation into Red Hulk is a far more complex character to depict.

I agree about Thaddeus Ross, but I also think that the MCU Abomination has less substance than the comic book version and if they use him he's only going to be muscle, basically like Kurse in Thor:TDW. I don't even see him as a character that needs their alter-ego to have backstory any more.
Elliot Ross for MCU Red Hulk :)

In no situation or circumstance would I expect either Abomination or Red Hulk to fill any role other than “evil Hulk” on a Dark Avengers team, so I think it’s a moot point. At least with Abomination it’s what it says on the tin and they don’t have to struggle to justify the character’s actions.

In no situation or circumstance would I expect either Abomination or Red Hulk to fill any role other than “evil Hulk” on a Dark Avengers team, so I think it’s a moot point. At least with Abomination it’s what it says on the tin and they don’t have to struggle to justify the character’s actions.

Ross could double as the director if they can't use Osborn due to rights issues. Either way, Ross is far from just being dumb muscle.

Last edited:
Ross could double as the director if they can't use Osborne due to rights issues. Either way, Ross is far from just being dumb muscle.

Hell, Abomination is more than dumb muscle but I don’t expect in any situation that they’d depict any variation of Hulk-expy as anything more than that.

In a Dark Avengers/Thunderbolts set up, it’s Osborne or Zemo, or Moonstone or Bullseye who would drive the story. Ross’ development into Red Hulk requires more narrative real estate than a villain team up film would allow.

They would need to figure out what they want the premise to be first, because a Zemo led DA/Thunderbolts would be very different from the Osborn-led one from the comics (and was if you compare their two groups in the comics). Osborn was a high ranking government official (head of a revamped SHIELD). MCU Zemo is a criminal terrorist sitting in prison. The two aren't interchangeable at all. Zemo cannot be the director of a Dark Avengers working for the government without it being completely unbelievable. Field leader, sure. But he would need some sort of handler or head of the program above him. A truly Zemo led team would have to work outside of the government, like the original Thunderbolts.

That's why I suggested Thunderbolt Ross. Assuming they go with the Osborn version of the story, Osborn was a corrupt top government official with a deranged, superpowered alter-ego. MCU Ross is an established corrupt top government official (Secretary of State) and as Red Hulk would have a deranged, super-powered alter-ego. They are similar enough that you could plug Ross in without completely re-writing the character and story.

Last edited:
My assumption is that if the Thunderbolts project happens, it will be Zemo 'recruited' by Ross to lead the team Ross creates, but Zemo of course goes rogue somehow.

For the DA, though, you'd pretty much have to have Osborn, imo, and I don't see Zemo and Osborn working well in the same movie, nor Ross and Osborn.

My assumption is that if the Thunderbolts project happens, it will be Zemo 'recruited' by Ross to lead the team Ross creates, but Zemo of course goes rogue somehow.

For the DA, though, you'd pretty much have to have Osborn, imo, and I don't see Zemo and Osborn working well in the same movie, nor Ross and Osborn.

It depends on Sony. If Sony tells Marvel that they can't use Osborn, then they have to have Plan B.

It depends on Sony. If Sony tells Marvel that they can't use Osborn, then they have to have Plan B.

I don't think they will, though. Of all the Spider characters, Osborn is by far the most intertwined with Spider-man. He'd be utterly useless without him, so he clearly belongs wherever Spider-man is - and that's the MCU at the moment.

Now, if the deal goes off before these hypothetical movies happen, then that's a problem, yeah. But I think at that point you just don't do the Dark Avengers. Thunderbolts are a perfectly solid alternative.

I'd like to see a trilogy that goes something like...

Dark Avengers
Dark Avengers: Thunderbolts
Thunderbolts: Code Red.

Thunderbolts by Ben Wheatley (Free Fire)

In the years following 'The Blip', General Ross & the US government initiated a covert team of operatives to act on the behalf of the United States in a world missing 50% of its population. With resources scattered and the intelligence community reeling, Norman Osborn steps in to back the Thunderbolt Initiative w/ all of Oscorp and its assets now at their disposal. Not a moment too soon as an old ghost from Ross's past emerges as The Leader...

cast of characters.

us government.

Secretary of State Thaddeus "Thunderbolt" Ross - William Hurt, 69
Thunderbolt-Ross-WHurt-IncHulk.jpg

Everett K. Ross - Martin Freeman, 47
75092-1532336916.jpg

thunderbolts.

Director Norman Osborn - Dan Stevens, 36
dan-stevens.jpg

Helmut Zemo - Daniel Bruhl, 41
Daniel-Bruhl-Fifth-Estate-645x370.jpg

Karla Sofen / Moonstone - Kristen Stewart, 29

Ava Starr / Ghost - Hannah John-Kamen, 29
Ant-Man-and-the-Wasp-Hannah-John-Kamen-interview-700x300.jpg

Justin Hammer / Crimson Dynamo - Sam Rockwell, 50
z3ttpigy84n21.jpg

Emil Blonsky / Abomination - Tim Roth, 58
26216.jpg

villain.

Samuel Sterns / The Leader - Tim Blake Nelson, 55
gettyimages-159729493_copy_-_h_2017.jpg

misc.

Bill Foster - Laurence Fisburne, 57
8613dc0f3a65a110-600x338.jpg

G.W. Bridge - David Oyelowo, 47
david-oyelowo-rise-of-the-apes-img.jpg

Christine Everhart - Leslie Bibb, 44
fhd010MNO_Leslie_Bibb_002.jpg

And it is now time for Plan B.

I still like the idea of using Thunderbolt Ross/Red Hulk in Osborn's role.

I think at this point you just go with the Thunderbolts. The two teams have both had similar styles in the comics, so what's the point in using the Dark Avengers name if you can't even get Osborn to create them as his Dark Avengers?

I really like William Hurt and hope we‘ll get to see him as Red Hulk...though he turns 70 soon and won‘t be able to do much action scenes

I really like William Hurt and hope we‘ll get to see him as Red Hulk...though he turns 70 soon and won‘t be able to do much action scenes

As long as he can wear a mo-cap suit it shouldn't be a big deal. The action scenes would be mostly CGI with a double in the suit during those times he'd mostly need to be in it for the more poignant close ups so they can get his facial expressions.

As long as he can wear a mo-cap suit it shouldn't be a big deal. The action scenes would be mostly CGI with a double in the suit during those times he'd mostly need to be in it for the more poignant close ups so they can get his facial expressions.

Yeah, Hulk is a CGI character anyways so unless Hurt is too old to be very mobile at all (probably 15-20 years away), I don't see it being an issue.

I was thinking maybe Abomination, Ghost, Taskmaster, The Mandarin, Killmonger, and maybe Norman Osborn if Marvel and Sony decide to

You know what. I could totally see the Mandarin replacing Norman as the head of the Dark Avengers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Holopaxume
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"