DC animation/DC live-action

Milk Tray Guy

70s Man of Action
Reaction score
I've seen it suggested by some fans that WB/DC should give their current live-action CBMs a rest for a few years and just focus on animated movies. Thing is, when you look into the reasoning behind a lot of those comments it seems to come from the appeal/successful world-building of the original Bruce Timm and Paul Dini DCAU - which hasn't been 'a thing' now for over ten years (other than last year's poorly received Batman and Harley Quinn movie which may or may not be canon to the DCAU).

So looking at the more recent DC Universe Animated Original Movies...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DC_Universe_Animated_Original_Movies

... do you think focusing on those is a viable, even advisable option for WB/DC? Should they let the dust settle for a while before relaunching the live-action CBMs? Or should they just push on and keep trying to course-correct their current live-action?

I think WB just needs to lay low-when they fail, it' not living up to Marvel, and when they succeed, they're copying Marvel.

Ideally, WB should just hire the writers of the animated works to do the live action, and maybe only hire proven directors for superhero movies (unfair, I know).

Maybe they should focus more on trying to crack open the video game genre-maybe a Metal Gear Solid movie or something. But if they try to play ball in the superhero genre, maybe a Batman-oriented Justice League-ala Towel of Babel would be a good way to go. And getting George Miller back could only help PR, even if the movie doesn't quite work.

I've seen it suggested by some fans that WB/DC should give their current live-action CBMs a rest for a few years and just focus on animated movies. Thing is, when you look into the reasoning behind a lot of those comments it seems to come from the appeal/successful world-building of the original Bruce Timm and Paul Dini DCAU - which hasn't been 'a thing' now for over ten years (other than last year's poorly received Batman and Harley Quinn movie which may or may not be canon to the DCAU).

So looking at the more recent DC Universe Animated Original Movies...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DC_Universe_Animated_Original_Movies

... do you think focusing on those is a viable, even advisable option for WB/DC? Should they let the dust settle for a while before relaunching the live-action CBMs? Or should they just push on and keep trying to course-correct their current live-action?

Have you been watching Justice League Action at all?
Almost every generation since BTAS there's a great DC-related animated series on tv. JLA, I hear is coming to end...so I certainly wouldn't mind taking those directors & writers to the big screen.

Have you been watching Justice League Action at all?
Almost every generation since BTAS there's a great DC-related animated series on tv. JLA, I hear is coming to end...so I certainly wouldn't mind taking those directors & writers to the big screen.

I haven't caught Justice League Action. You obviously recommend it!

I think WB just needs to lay low-when they fail, it' not living up to Marvel, and when they succeed, they're copying Marvel.

Ideally, WB should just hire the writers of the animated works to do the live action, and maybe only hire proven directors for superhero movies (unfair, I know).

Maybe they should focus more on trying to crack open the video game genre-maybe a Metal Gear Solid movie or something. But if they try to play ball in the superhero genre, maybe a Batman-oriented Justice League-ala Towel of Babel would be a good way to go. And getting George Miller back could only help PR, even if the movie doesn't quite work.

I certainly wouldn't mind seeing that.

more humor, more action and more showing of abilities and powers used in a funny or cool way and more political and human-alien problems.

more humor, more action and more showing of abilities and powers used in a funny or cool way and more political and human-alien problems.

But in live-action, or in animation?

i kind of like the Anmited movies better then the live aciton! Especially like the Anmited of justice league movies! i think the Anmited movies of justice league it better then the live action justice league movie!! ! maybe expect for the original batman movies & the original super man movies staring christopher reeves!! i also enjoyed super man returns!!

I'm with you. The original Batman series, the first two Superman movies, and TDKT are all impeccable, but beyond that, I definitely prefer DC animation to the movies.

Comparing DC animation to the DCEU

The Last Son of Krypton (first 3 episodes of STAS)>Man of Steel

Batman/Superman: World's Finest>Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

Batman: Assault on Arkham>Suicide Squad

Wonder Woman=Wonder Woman (I think the animated version was just as good. I liked that it had more mythical elements)

Justice League: Secret Origin>Justice League

and yeah Dini should've had full creative control from the beginning

Comparing DC animation to the DCEU

The Last Son of Krypton (first 3 episodes of STAS)>Man of Steel

Batman/Superman: World's Finest>Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

Batman: Assault on Arkham>Suicide Squad

Wonder Woman=Wonder Woman (I think the animated version was just as good. I liked that it had more mythical elements)

Justice League: Secret Origin>Justice League

I like the DCEU but yeah, pretty much. The only change I'd make is The Last Son of Krypton = Man of Steel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"