Here's a Thought: Bring the Timmverse crew onto Live Action DC Projects

CFE

The never-ending battle
Reaction score
Now you can take this idea any way you want.

Hypothetical...Wishful thinking.

But the idea, to me, seems rather obvious.

Bring Bruce Timm, Alan Burnett, Paul Dini, Glen Murakami and the crew involved with the "DCAU" in to work on the live action projects for 'Superman,' 'Flash,' 'Justice League' or any number of DC characters.

I know most of thes guys are hard at work on the DCUniverse Animated Movies...not to mention the fact that they've probably had their fill of the DCU having worked with these characters for the last 16 years since "Batman: TAS."

But, particularly based on their work with the Cadmus storyline in "Justice League Unlimited" I could definately see Dwayne MacDuffie or Stan Berkowitz penning a draft for a "Justice League" script.

I know Burnett and Dini had been brought in to work on a live action "Batman Beyond" prior to Warners going with Nolan to renew the Batman property.

In short, these guys KNOW the DCU and do justice to these characters. If given the live action reigns, we all know that they'd come up with something incredible...IMO anyway.

Sure Nolan has successfully brought Batman back two times over, but I'm confident in my stand that the Timmverse crew has done some of the best media work with thes characters...ever.

Now I'm not saying leave it all in their hands. We've seen what they can do on their own already, and live action ventures open it up for different creative teams to showcase how they'd approach the material.

But given the sheer quality of the "DCAU," I could totally see this team coming in as creative consultants or 'punch-up' writers brought in to beef up or lean out any given script based on their knowledge and appreciation of the DCU...

Thoughts? Agree? Disagree?

CFE

Last edited:
Yea i would totally love if they were attached to said products as writers or at less consulants or something.

It seems like WB turned down actual comic writers for Superman. I imagine it would be the same for Dini and Co.

See that would make sense to...Comic writers, what a concept!

Except Jeph Loeb. I have a feeling he's too jaded by "Smallville" and "HEROES" to be sufficient.

That and his writing is horribly cliche and what I like to call "Cookie-Cutter-Cool."

CFE

So no one feels like this is a decent idea?

CFE

His take on the Justice League would be successful if done live action IMO. Oh and Timmverse Batman > Nolanverse Batman.

I always thought that Bruce Timm and crew (and maybe Alex Ross) should be brought onto the DC movies as creative consultants. I don't know if they can handle a big budget live-action movie over 2 hours in length; that's a different medium than the work they usually do. That's why I won't say that DC should just hand over such a movie for Bruce Timm to direct. However these are guys who not only understand and respect the core concepts of DC's iconic characters, but know how to adapt them to the screen in cool and creative ways. You certainly wouldn't have crap like Superman being a deadbeat dad, or any of the lousy stuff in the now cancelled Justice League movie.

Just because they know how to handle the DC universe in the animated world, doesn't always mean that there ideas will translate well to live action.

Definitely as writers and consultants.

Just because they know how to handle the DC universe in the animated world, doesn't always mean that there ideas will translate well to live action.

I don't get this...

So, for example:

[YT]Noedf3JhFYA[/YT]

You don't think their idea of making Superman a bad ass would work in live action?

Seriously, this is a perfect representation of both how Superman should move and fight...THIS is what the live action films need.

Timm and Co. know the DCU like the back of their hand...you don't think they would have a positive impact as consultants on the live action films?

CFE

Last edited:
I'm all for this idea as well as comic book writers. They know these characters and what makes them tick. Why bring in some guy that's probably never even heard of these people before and wants to change everything (Catwoman)?

See that would make sense to...Comic writers, what a concept!

Except Jeph Loeb. I have a feeling he's too jaded by "Smallville" and "HEROES" to be sufficient.

That and his writing is horribly cliche and what I like to call "Cookie-Cutter-Cool."

CFE

Well, his stuff with Tim Sale and his first two arcs on Superman/Batman was all great, but since his move to Marvel, I dont dig his writing.

Well a long time ago they were talking about Dini and Timm collaborating with Boaz Yakin to do a Batman Beyond movie. That kind of fell apart before it ultimately ended up turning into Batman Begins.

Dwayne McDuffie's JL is considered mostly to suck.
Paul Dini couldn't keep Countdown from sucking. I personally enjoy his Detective Comics but it's hardly lighting the world on fire.
Paul DeMatteo(sp?) and the other guy tanked the Flash reboot.

Just because someone has worked in one medium doesn't mean they can handle the character in a seperate medium under different considerations.

I think one of the best Timm scenes was from the Batman/Superman team up "World's Finest". In their first meeting Supes uses his x-ray vision to see who Bats is. The next scene we see Clark changing out of his costume to go to bed in his apartment. He notices a small tracking device. He looks out his window and uses his supervision and looks about 4 blocks away to see Bats looking at him through binoculars. And says "touche".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"