IESB Exclusive - Live Action Wonder Woman Picking Up Speed

Steelsheen

Head Geek of Nerdtopia
Reaction score
from http://www.iesb.net/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=6486&Itemid=99

IESB Superhero Update Exclusive - Live Action Wonder Woman Picking Up Speed
Written by IESB Staff
Thursday, 12 March 2009

IESB is hearing the dormant Amazonian Princess is picking up speed over at Warner Bros. and Silver Pictures.

There was a regime change late last year over at Silver Pictures, Andrew Roma is now the man in charge and will be the man spearheading the live action Wonder Woman project along with mega producer Joel Silver.

Sources in the Burbank studios have confirmed there is quite a bit of movement on the WW front. With Green Lantern going into production this year, it looks like Princess Diana may finally get the go ahead from WB.

WB and Silver Pictures are in the early stages but they are eager to get started on the movie. Sources tell IESB that WB is looking for new writers on the project and have been taking pitches the last few weeks.

Created during World War II, the character was initially depicted fighting the Axis military forces, as well as an assortment of supervillains and supervillainesses. In later decades, some writers and their editors preferred to retain the World War II setting, while others updated the series to reflect an ongoing "present day."

Wonder Woman has also regularly appeared in the team books Justice Society (from 1941) and Justice League (from 1960). Arguably the most popular and iconic superheroine in comics, she is informally grouped with Superman and Batman as one of a "Trinity" of DC characters who are regarded as especially important, both within their fictional universe and without.

I knew those two writers(Jension and Strickland) weren't still on the project.

Picking up speed in Hollywood is a snail's pace unless it's been fastracked.

Maybe this will follow GL for Holiday 2011??? Who knows...

Eh, picking up speed on this project is like saying it's not dead, but it's got multiple gunshots and is on life-support. :funny:

Let's get some writers and a director on-board before we can actually say this project has gained steam.

oh please oh please oh please LET THIS COME TRUE! :ww:

mods, apolgies if this was already posted elsewhere

I knew those two writers(Jension and Strickland) weren't still on the project.

Picking up speed in Hollywood is a snail's pace unless it's been fastracked.

yeah but any news about WW is amazing in itself. many around here considered her dead after Whedon left :whatever:

i've heard a couple of things about the Jenison/ Strickland involvement up to this point, its well known that their spec script was bought by WB ending their involvement with the WW project right there whereas others have said that they've been asked to tweak it up a bit more.

i'm guessing they've tweaked it as far as they are able to (or at least as far as WB would approve of storywise) and now WB is looking for a more "high profile" writer to polish it up. happened with lotsa screenplays, ie: the Mr and Mrs Smith screenplay has Simon Kinberg credited for writing but the original scriptment from which most of the movie was based on was from Kieran and Michelle Mulroney.

So, I guess the latest script by the guys that did the WW2 period script wasn't up to scratch? That's good news to me as that script didn't seem to grasp the character of Wonder Woman very well (the animated movie WW seemed much more true to character).

As for "picking up speed". Well, seems like any film would still be years away. I hope they don't try to rush a movie into production based on some lame script that is cobbled together in a few weeks.

As an aside, it's quite amusing that Andrew Roma is involved. He was the head honcho we Xena fans petitioned to green-light a "Xena: Warrior Princess" film back when he was part of Rogue Pictures (or whatever it is called now). Of course, the budget never came together on that project so it never happened. I guess that experience didn't scare him away from warrior princesses entirely.

Cheers.

Eh, picking up speed on this project is like saying it's not dead, but it's got multiple gunshots and is on life-support. :funny:

Let's get some writers and a director on-board before we can actually say this project has gained steam.

Although it's definitely worth noting about it picking up steam in the talks/discussions phase, you're 100% on the $$$.

Perhaps he saw the animted Wonder Woman and finally saw WW's potential in live action?

Agreed.

Edit: The media really needs to let go of WW's ties to the 40's. The only reason she had adventures there was because she was created in that era, like many heroes were.

Last edited:
Yeah, yeah. That's all well, and good, but I've heard this song and dance about other movies. To be quite blunt, if the movie was a delicious supper, we're at the point where the cooks know they want a delicious supper, and I'll only care if they at least have the ingredients.

Taking pitches eh? Interesting.

Still not getting my hopes up.
Perhaps he saw the animted Wonder Woman and finally saw WW's potential in live action?

I wouldn't bank on that being the case.

At least it's something. Now, is there any agents out there who want to help me get my script to Silver? :grin:

Picking up speed, eh? So production has moved past glacier speed and now going at arthritic turtle covered in tar speed. :cool:

I'm just going to remain cautiously optimistic, and hope something finally comes of it :)

From the same people who gave you the scoop on "Justice League: Mortal".

Which at the time was happening.

From the same people who gave you the scoop on "Justice League: Mortal".

My memory is a little fuzzy about that, but I do remember one crazy fake script review that used the un-scipt like term "looking like the Hall of Justice in the old cartoon". Tsk tsk tsk.

from http://www.iesb.net/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=6486&Itemid=99

IESB Superhero Update Exclusive - Live Action Wonder Woman Picking Up Speed
Written by IESB Staff
Thursday, 12 March 2009

IESB is hearing the dormant Amazonian Princess is picking up speed over at Warner Bros. and Silver Pictures.

There was a regime change late last year over at Silver Pictures, Andrew Roma is now the man in charge and will be the man spearheading the live action Wonder Woman project along with mega producer Joel Silver.

Sources in the Burbank studios have confirmed there is quite a bit of movement on the WW front. With Green Lantern going into production this year, it looks like Princess Diana may finally get the go ahead from WB.

WB and Silver Pictures are in the early stages but they are eager to get started on the movie. Sources tell IESB that WB is looking for new writers on the project and have been taking pitches the last few weeks.

Created during World War II, the character was initially depicted fighting the Axis military forces, as well as an assortment of supervillains and supervillainesses. In later decades, some writers and their editors preferred to retain the World War II setting, while others updated the series to reflect an ongoing "present day."

Wonder Woman has also regularly appeared in the team books Justice Society (from 1941) and Justice League (from 1960). Arguably the most popular and iconic superheroine in comics, she is informally grouped with Superman and Batman as one of a "Trinity" of DC characters who are regarded as especially important, both within their fictional universe and without.

^^^Good news....lets hope they use the WW book Gods and Mortals to write a script treatment or at least get inspiration from!

At least it's something. Now, is there any agents out there who want to help me get my script to Silver? :grin:

Send it in, you got nothing to lose.

I'll think about it, okay thought about, no. :o

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"