• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

DC Comics Advice

JediMasterConor

Civilian
Reaction score
So I recently gotten back into comic buying with some Marvel stuff. I'd like to get into DC. Any recommendations on good stuff/story arcs that are running right now? I'm into Superman and Batman mainly and a little JLA

A pretty good two-parter just started in Detective, so that's a nice place if you want to start picking up Batman.
And the next issue of JLA is a good place to start with that series, seeing as it's the first issue on McDuffie's run.

I recommend reading a few recents trades to see if you're really ready to get back into the DCU. Because, to be honest, most books are pretty heavy on the tie-in continuity right now.

Detective Comics being one of a few exceptions. Pick up the TPB called Batman: Detective. It's the beginning of Paul Dini's current run on the title, and they are almost all stand alone/mystery stories written very well. :up:

Avoid Countdown as if it were the plague. :ninja:

Is it really that bad? I've kind of gotten out of the big stuff and only reading what I like (Flash, JSA, JLA, Detective Comics and Green Arrow)

The first 4 issues of Grant Morrison's JLA.

Is it really that bad? I've kind of gotten out of the big stuff and only reading what I like (Flash, JSA, JLA, Detective Comics and Green Arrow)

It's a mish mosh of stories that has horrible timing. It may have been a better series if they had worked out the timing issues with other tie-ins.

I recommend asking advice and taking it. The DCU is very complicated right now, there's ALOT of mix ups going on that will be confusing if you've been away for awhile. If you like the Justice League, just pick up any trade by Grant Morrison or Mark Waid for a decent, self contained read

I find, generally, when people ask for upended advice like you're doing, the recommendations just get horribly, horribly varied and confusing. Honestly, I suggest you going out, just taking a look around maybe DC's website or whatever, and coming back to us and just telling us what you'd be interesting in reading. What type of story and character you seem drawn to. JLA, Batman, whatever. Then we can give you some more concrete and specific recommendations.

And then, after you're actually used to DC stuff, you can start asking for off the way recommendations like Animal Man or Doom Patrol or whatever.

Countdown isn't horrible. It just nowhere near as good as 52 was. Nor is it really that great either. On the bright side, it's at least getting better.

Do you buy trades, or strictly monthlies? because I can recommend Batman/Superman/JLA trades that will blow away everything you probably read before.

But if you're set on finding a current DC monthly, I gave em up myself.

As for the advice, go with what most people are saying, trades. They're the best option right now.

If you do want some ongoings, Batman and Superman are good pickings, especially since you like those characters. Morrison's run on Batman has been pretty damn good (You can't beat ninja man-bats and having an illegitimate child with Talia!) and so has Busiek's run on Superman. The Sinestro Corps War on Green Lantern is freaking awesome!

McDuffie (of Justice League Unlimited) is starting his run on Justice League of America with issue 12, Waid is comming back onto Flash next issue, Simone will be on Wonder Woman with issue 12. These are guaranteed to be awesome!

So I recently gotten back into comic buying with some Marvel stuff. I'd like to get into DC. Any recommendations on good stuff/story arcs that are running right now? I'm into Superman and Batman mainly and a little JLA

Probably the title I'm most enjoying right now is Justice Society of America. If you do not care about the Lightning War Saga (JLA/JSA crossover), then I highly...highly highly highly...recommend you pick up issues #1-4 and issues #7,8.

Also, are you interested in going backwards in time a bit? Because I personally loved Identity Crisis and Crisis of Conscience (those are two JLA stories and you said you liked JLA a little). Another must to me is read Alex Ross' Justice for another great JLA story (just recently ended not too long ago).

I don't really read Superman so I cannot help you there.

I'm a Batman fan as well...but it all depends on how far back you want to go. I could list the essentials but I don't know how far back was the last time you read so you probably would've already read the list I would've put up.

Batman and 'Tec are good.

Superman and Action have been terribly abismal since the fillers started. And all this Jimmy Olsen **** is annoying.

Try Final Night that was a awesome comic from start to finish

Detective Comics has been great recently.
That and the previous two issues of Batman Confidential have been really good (new "before-the-joker" story-arc started two issues ago)

then theres always the death of Superman arc

That was the comic that featured the redemption of Hal Jordan ending his reign as Parallax when he sacrifices himself to save Earth

if you didnt pick it up you should it was good

I didn't think it was anything special, personally

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"