• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

New to DC and need some suggestions

CombatRock319

How do I comic book?
Reaction score
I've been reading Marvel Comics since 3rd grade and am pretty much a walking encyclopedia. Recently however I've gained an interest to begin reading DC. I've been reading Dark Horse, Image and tons of indie stuff but the problem with getting into DC Comics is the years of continuity to catch up on. I've read a decent amount of Batman classics (Killing Joke, Dark Knight Returns etc.) but Id really like to start reading Green Lantern, Teen Titans, JLA, Batman, and a lot more on a more constant basis. I was wondering if I could get some suggestions of hallmark DC comic arcs and series that i could read to begin to capture the DC universe.

I'm honestly looking for anything. Hopefully I could get some suggestions for some graphic novels or simply some good arcs. Thanks in advance for anything you can offer.

Get the Emperor Joker trade of Superman, they've got it in most Barnes and Nobles and such places. And everything Joe Kelly wrote for JLA.

Morisson's run on JLA, Animal man, Doom Patrol, Allstar Supes One
Waids run on Flash, JLA, Kingdome Come, Brave and the Bold, Legion of Super heroes, Birthright
Geoff Johns ; Flash, JSA run, Green Lantern (Rebirth, etc)
Jeoph Loebs; Long Halloween, Hush, Superman and Batman volumes 1 and 2.
Alan Moores : Stories of D.C., Killing Joke
Frank Milllers; Dark Knight returns, Dark Knight strikes back, Batman year one
Identity Crisis; Metzlers
Gail Simones; Birds of Prey, Secret Six,
Warren Ellis; JLA (new maps of hell).

I haven't read Teen Titans, Hawkman,

Hawkman: Geoff Johns put Hawkman back on the map by setting his continuity straight and making Hawkman the hero he is. Rags Morales did a great job with the artwork.

Plastic Man: Kyle Baker, the series won an award and fits the character and is drawn perfectly

Wrath of the Spectre: Michael Fleisher; An oldie but a goodie that truly shows the awesomeness of the Spectre.

Identity Crisis: Meltzer, I second it. It really showed realistic side of the DC universe. Rag Morales really drew the characters with emotion.

Like Yahman said,
DC Universe: The Stores of Alan Moore. A collection of stores varying from the Killing Joke, Mogo and the Blackest Night Prophecy seen in the collection and is featured in the current Green Lantern comics, Superman in the "For the Man Who has Everything", Swamp Thing, and few more stories that stand the test of time.

Kingdom Come: Mark Waid. I would read this last, so you can appreciate all of the DC universe cameos seen in the book.

Teen Titans: A Kid's Game: Geoff Johns got me into liking the Titans again and this trade is his first arc in the series.

NEW Teen Titans: The Judas Contract: Marv Wolfman. The trade has the origin of Deathstroke and a great Titans story even if its not the current Titans.

The Flash: Geoff Johns hooked me onto the character and his supporting cast and villains.

Black Adam: The Dark Age. Peter Tomasi. Made Black Adam an awesome anti-hero and I can't recommend this book enough. The trade paper back comes out in June 3rd.

Green lantern Corps: To Be A Lantern: Dave Gibbons. The Green Lantern universe comes to life and is further detailed in this series. Tons of supporting cast get to shine in this series including Guy Gardner, Kilowog, Natu and other lanterns. It really shows the behind the scenes work of being an Lantern and the interaction with other fellow lanterns and it makes the Green Lantern Corps like a police department, which is great.

Watchmen: Alan Moore

Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight #50, Year One, OMAC Project
Superman: Superman-Batman Public Enemies, Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow (might be in the Alan Moore collection)
Wonder Woman: Anything from Rucka's run on the title
Flash: Anything from Johns' run on the title, but I think the introduction of the new Zoom or the Rogue War were the best
Green Lantern: Emerald Twilight, Final Night, GL Rebirth, Sinestro Corps War, the currently running Secret Origins arc
Martian Manhunter: Best defined by the Morrison/Waid JLA run, I think.
Aquaman: In terms of catching up with where DC is right now, read the post-Veitch issues of the most recent Aquaman book.
The Spectre: Wrath of the Spectre, Spectre Vol. 3, Spectre Vol. 4, Tales of the Unexpected Vol. 2
DC Universe: the Alan Moore collection, Animal Man 1-26, DC Universe #0, Infinite Crisis, 52, Rann/Thanagar War
JLA: Morrison/Waid JLA
JSA: Johns JSA
Black Adam: Johns JSA
Hawkman: Johns JSA and Johns Hawkman
Dr. Fate: Johns JSA
Starman: Robinson's Starman
Kingdom Come
...and Gaiman's Sandman, for no other reason than that it's ****ing awesome.

Wonder Woman: Anything from Rucka's run on the title

and Gaiman's Sandman, for no other reason than that it's ****ing awesome.

I definitely need to try Sandman. I picked up Sandman Mystery Threatre trades, but I realize Gaiman's Sandman is a whole another different character.

I will try Rucka's Wonder Woman. I never really read WW, but I will be willing to give it a try.

Can anyone suggest good Legion of Superheroes comics or trades from any legion besides Waid's version, I've read them all, nothing against Waid. I have the LEGION OF SUPER-HEROES: THE GREAT DARKNESS SAGA, read the recent Legion in Action Comics where they can be currently be seen, and LOSH: An Eye for An Eye. I think that's the silver age version of LOSH. Thanks for any suggestions ahead of time.

Not much else that's out in trades, really.

What made me start reading DC seriously was Teen Titans. Pick up their current comics, and give New Teen Titans a try.

Afterwards, I also moved onto Superman/Batman, JSA, JLA, & Blue Beetle. Give any of those a try.

I'd possibly start with Kelly's JLA. That and Johns' Teen Titans are both pretty newb-friendly.

wow.

thats awesome thank you so much.

now to find all the money...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"