Looking for a good DC read

NickNitro

Extra Terrestrial
Reaction score
I am by no means a comic book expert but I do love reading them. Ive read comics like Blackest Night, Civil War, Secret Invasion, Kingdom Come, and others.

I was looking for another great read. I do enjoy DC but I want to get away from the generic Batman/Batman villains comics.

I was hoping you DC fans could give me some suggestions on some good reads. I last read Kingdom Come and have to say really enjoyed it. Alex Ross's incredible artwork of course helped :D

Some of my personal favorites are The Killing Joke, Long Halloween, Death and Return of Superman, Green Lantern Rebirth, The Sinestro Corps War, and Nightwing Freefall and The Great Leap.

Awesome thanks guys. No I never read Watchmen, just saw the movie.

Also what is Sandman? Is it Based off the Spidey Villain or something completely different?

The Latter.

It's the story of, you know, the Sandman. Morpheous. The Lord of Dreams. Dudes got a lot of names.....suffice it to say, it is one of those stories that elevate comics as an art form. It's the epic story of the living embodiment of dreams, his family, his friends, how he's touched the world we live in, and ultimately, his doomed fate. It's one of the greatest comics ever made.

That said, it ain't for everybody. Just like Watchmen. Some people don't get it. Some people find it boring. I'm not saying you're dumb if you don't like it, but I'm not not saying it. :o

Also Alan Moore's Swamp Thing, Superman Secret Identity, Darwyn Cooke's DC New Frontier, and James Robinson's Starman. Must reads.

I recommend Grant Morrison's Animal Man run, Infinite Crisis/52 and All-Star Superman. Plus everything else suggested in the posts above me.

James Robinson's Starman,. Pick up the hardcover omnibuses if possible because they include content that was pretty much left out from the original trades for one reason or another.

Animal Man is also another good recommendation.

Batman: A Death in the Family is pretty cool and The Dark Knight Returns as well.

Awesome guys thanks I appreciate the feedback. I have my work cut out for me!

Edit: MMMM...Dounuts.....creepiest avatar I've seen yet lol

Sandman actually sounds pretty awesome. That may be my next read. I loved All-Star Superman the movie.

I have to say Ive never heard of Animal Man/Infinite Crisis/Starman Ill have to do some research.

Just looked up Sandman on Amazon....holy crud are there a lot of books! Author Neil Gaiman correct?

Last edited:
Yeah.

There's also the Death spin offs, which are great.

Lucifer is also a spin off. Haven't read it myself, but I've heard it's pretty damn awesome as well.

I am by no means a comic book expert but I do love reading them. Ive read comics like Blackest Night, Civil War, Secret Invasion, Kingdom Come, and others.

I was looking for another great read. I do enjoy DC but I want to get away from the generic Batman/Batman villains comics.

I was hoping you DC fans could give me some suggestions on some good reads. I last read Kingdom Come and have to say really enjoyed it. Alex Ross's incredible artwork of course helped :D
Give the Earth One lines a shot I really like them. Also All-Star Superman and Geoff Johns whole Superman run from Last Son to War of the Supermen. Superman: For Tomorrow as well.

Thanks Dangerman, Ill have to take all of these into consideration but I think my next reads will be The Sandman. Don't want to overwhelm myself with too much awesome at once.

Infinite Crisis, Green Lantern: Rebirth, Sinestro Corps War. Probably my 3 favorite books at this point. Basically any of the Green Lantern books after Rebirth are dope though well, up until Blackest Night. After that they're ok.

I've also thought about getting into Sandman but it just seems really arduous and not like a comic I could just jump in at any point like I could with most Marvel or DC stuff

Blackest Night, Brightest Day, V for Vendetta, The Flash Rebirth, Ronin, theres many more lol

I've also thought about getting into Sandman but it just seems really arduous and not like a comic I could just jump in at any point like I could with most Marvel or DC stuff

I tried to get into that but there are so many books and im to young to get into The Sandman right now but i did read the first book and i have to say, Neil Gaiman is awesome.

You know Nick, I was about to write up a long list of my favourite DC/Vertigo stuff but if you've just read Kingdom Come and want to follow up on that, then Justice is probably for you:

absolutejustice.jpg

It's the really rather fantastic, self-contained story about all of DC's big villains joining together to stop the JLA once and for all, and it features basically every character you'd want to see in a DC book.
Jim Krueger writes and Alex Ross paints every page too so it's really nice to look at.

Batman: The Long Halloween is one of my favorite DC stories ever. And I'm more of a Superman fan than Batman anyday.

If you like westerns or badass bounty hunter's definitely check out Jonah Hex. Easy to jump into, not continuity heavy.

If you liked Blackest Night, I would also check out Green Lantern Corps: Blackest Night. It's a very fun read and ties into the main Blackest Night story really well. I would also recommend Wonder Woman: The Blood and Wonder Woman: The Guts. They're great Wonder Woman stories that deal with Greek mythology.

Superman by John Byrne, I'm reading through the trades right now and really enjoying them. Pick them up if you're interested in reading Superman.

You know Nick, I was about to write up a long list of my favourite DC/Vertigo stuff but if you've just read Kingdom Come and want to follow up on that, then Justice is probably for you:

absolutejustice.jpg

It's the really rather fantastic, self-contained story about all of DC's big villains joining together to stop the JLA once and for all, and it features basically every character you'd want to see in a DC book.
Jim Krueger writes and Alex Ross paints every page too so it's really nice to look at.

It's amazing :up: I think this has the basis for a movie tbh, they should just slime down the characters and make the JL movie from this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"