• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

Help a fanboy out

CombatRock319

How do I comic book?
Reaction score
i love reading marvel and dc superhero stories. ive been reading various superhero comics for the past 5 years such as x-men and JLA but ive recently begun picking up non superhero related comics such as v for vendetta, sin city, and DMZ. ive discovered that comic books do not have to be superhero related to be fantastic and so i really want to get into some non-marvel/dc-mainstream comics. ive already gotten the suggestions from friends to start reading the authority and hellboy. is there anything else i should read. seriously just tell me what you love that isnt part of the big two's universe's. id love to get some suggestions. thanks:woot:

The Walking Dead - A fantastic zombie comic although it's on issue 32 right now, so pick up the tpb's.

Bendis and Mike Oeming's Powers (Though technically now a Marvel Book, it started out with Image), Girls, If you want some non-Big-two superhero action try Invincible. Walking Dead as previously suggested. Sandman, Blankets, Johnny the Homicidal Maniac, Black Hole, Anything by Adrian Tommine. American Splendor, tons of stuff. Check out the Official recommendations thread. That should help you out big time.

how about hellblazer where would i start off to get into constantine?

how about hellblazer where would i start off to get into constantine?

I don't know. I kinda started reading Hellblazer in no particular order. Dangerous Habits is a good place to start. Particularly if you've only seen the movie because it's kinda based on that. (Heavy on the Kinda)

Fables is also a great, great read.

The Authority is Superheroes...

anyway, virtually anything from DC Vertigo, which DMZ and V For Vendetta are published under, the essentials being

Sandman
Preacher
Transmetropolitan
Fables
Y-the Last Man
100 Bullets

There's dozen of Mature Readers titles with write-ups in the Official Recommendations Thread. Look through here: http://superherohype.com/forums/showthread.php?t=186190

I highly recommend anything written by Warren Ellis, along with Garth Ennis, Brian K. Vaughan, Neil Gaiman, and Alan Moore

It's not a running title, but you sound like someone who would appreciate Frank Miller's Sin City series.

Parker said:
It's not a running title, but you sound like someone who would appreciate Frank Miller's Sin City series.
yes, he does, especially since in his first post, he specficly says:
CombatRock319 said:
ive recently begun picking up non superhero related comics such as v for vendetta, sin city, and DMZ.
:oldrazz:

Oh, and some other material I think you'd like. V for Vendetta, DMZ, Hellboy and the Authority.

Also, don't start reading the monthly Authority as it's not as good anymore. The original stories - the first four trades - by Warren Ellis and Mark Millar are the good stuff, it goes downhill after that. Actually, some people feel it went downhill with Millar, but I liked his stuff.

but Morrison, Brubaker, the Coup D'Etat crossover - none were really that good. Even Ennis' Authority/Kev minis were pretty bad, IMO

I wouldn't go that far. Brubaker's Revolution was pretty damn good, and Morrison's run just started.

wow thanks a million

whats the premise for preacher, fables and 100 bullets? ive heard of them im just curious what the deal is.

Fables is by far my favorite of all those mentioned.

It's the story of storybook characters from various fairy tales who are exiled from their land and brought to our mundane world.

The story is amazing and you'll love every single character, even those from stories you didn't give a **** about as a kid.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"