What Is It That Distinguishes A Misc. Comics Film If No Marvel Or DC Logo?

Yowza

Sidekick
Reaction score
I was looking through various entries pertaining to superhero films that aren't Marvel or DC Based. There's quite a few suggestions that really could be argued as not pertaining to being a miscellaneous comic based film.

For instance, if one were to look up superhero films on wikipedia they don't necessarily need to be comic or graphic novel based:List of American superhero films - Wikipedia Conversely, there are many films that are based on a graphic novel or comic books that has nothing to do with superheros but still relate to being a misc. comics based film...

You just has to google search comic films not DC or Marvel and a myriad of suggestions come up on misc. comics based films that probably shouldn't belong in this category. In some cases though, the lines become blurred when many companies like Dark Horse take videogames or popular genre based properties from literature or other mediums/products and convert them to comic or graphic novel based form to such a degree this becomes part of the IP's identity somewhat.

I'm interested in getting a database going for Misc. Comics based films and wondering what framework should be made to distinguish such?

Last edited:
While thinking of this, I think to keep things as all encompassing numerous categories would help for purposes relating to added distinguishment. I have color coded the categories of comic films below. The point to this is if anyone here finds online a list of "Misc. Comics Films" organized by release year, all you have to do is copy/paste said list into Microsoft word and assign a color code matching the color used for below categories of "Misc. Comics Film".

Categories of Comic Films:
Section A: Films Originating In Graphic Novel or Comic Format could include:
1A) Films that are an adaptation of a Graphic Novel or Comic

*Example: Hellboy

2A) Films that derive from a Graphic Novel or Comic but is moreso it's own independent thing (Therefore, commonly regarded more so as a genre film than a comic film as a result)

*Example: "The Matrix"

3a) Films that derive from certain Graphic Novel or Comic source material that falls outside of what's commonly regarded as the comics industry

*Example: "Blue is the Warmest Color"; or other films more from artsy niche areas

Section B: Didn't Originate in Graphic Novel or Comic Format (Genre Crossover Scenarios):
1b) Film in an IP Franchise that doesn't originally derive from a Comic or Graphic Novel but later film entries do (In other words, a franchise's popularity spawns comics and a later film entry is based on said comics)

*Example: Alien vs. Predator videogame/comics inspired the Alien vs. Predator films (more so only the first one while 2nd utilizes the idea but moreso a meshing of film franchises)

*Tougher Example: The 1994 film entry of "The Shadow" borrowed some elements from the comics although only parts.

****2b) Film in an IP Franchise that doesn't derive from Comic or Graphic Novels at all but are re-labelled as being "Misc. Comics Films" in past tense (In other words, a franchise's popularity spawns comics so that earlier films are seen as being directly connected even though actually aren't)
****Special Rule: Category 1c takes precedence to this category if film can also be there.

*Example: The Robocop films was the start of this I.P. from what I recall. As a result, the comics and graphic novel content afterwards referenced these original films themselves to make them subsequently seen in the past tense as being "Misc. Comic Films" even though when originally came out they seemingly weren't for the most part.

*Example: Star Wars were also the start of an I.P. Subsequent comics therefore often referenced these films like the Robocop franchise (well at least as far as the original trilogy goes; later films perhaps could be in section 3b).

3b) Film that doesn't derive from a Comic or Graphic Novels and isn't technically a "Misc. Comics Films" but shares similar characteristics to be commonly regarded as (In other words, similar film genre's, books, games, or products):

*Example: "Last Action Hero"

*Tougher Example: "Red Sonja" and "Remo Williams" in 1985 both are films stemming from IP's that didn't originate in Graphic Novels/Comics. Both IP's have had comics associated with them at a later point so I maybe could've put in section 2B above. I didn't as from what I can gather the later comics didn't really relate to these films themselves but instead the general IP.

*Tougher Example: The Conan films seem to fall under the same scenario as Red Sonja from what I can gather so perhaps should be included in this section as well instead of 2B...

4b) Film didn't originate in Graphic Novel or Comic Format but moreso in the Manga/Anime Category but commonly considered a "Misc. Comics Film" regardless

*Example: Some anime or magna infiltrating into the comics industry is probably top of the list in this category with the rest pertaining moreso purely to Manga or Anime perhaps.

Section C: Didn't Originate in Comics/Graphic Novels but a Commentary On or Original Take:
1C) Didn't Originate in Graphic Novel or Comic Format; the film is moreso a response to comic genre films either a parody, documentary of someone in the industry, or it's own original thing seemingly inspired by the comics industry

*Example: Incredibles, My Super Ex-Girlfreind, Skyhigh, Superhero Movie

*Tougher Example: Darkman could be put under 2B section above since has had comics spun-off of after the release. I had to write-in "special rule" favoring this category as it could go in either one.

2C) Same as category 1c above but low brow and low budget to extent deserves a separate category

*Example: Flood gates wide open here with some Troma based content as an example

It's perhaps easiest to have 1 overall list going first simply by release year. The next step would be simply color coding (or highlighting each text) utilizing the color formats from the categories above to indicate which category each film name one considers a particular "Misc. Comics Film" to fall under.

If one chooses not to color code or utilize different types of categories or color schemes then that's an idea too. Above is just my idea been working on for a while for a quick insightful reference point on Misc. Comics Films.

Last edited:
I think the categories above are helpful but by no means a concrete definition as I was just searching for one after going through a Reddit thread discussing misc. comics films that aren't DC or Marvel here: h ttps://www.reddit.com/r/movies/ comments/8gyy49/what_are _some_good_non_marvel_or _dc_superhero/ As you can see, there's a lot of suggestions that were all over the place...

I also found a pretty comprehensive list of all films deriving from different sources here: Lists of films - Wikipedia and I've attached a picture showing the relevant links from this webpage to this post.

Looking through the links in the picture, I was able to see if I could apply most of them to the categories in the post I created above (a subjective framework can apply one's own opinions within to various movies if so inclined) and saw that most fell within Section A while a few here and there could be considered outside Section A at times (like section 1B for instance).

As a result, there are also a lot of other films regarded as "Misc. Comics Films" that can be seen on various forums throughout the net (or even the superhero film listings derived from the weblink in 1st post of this thread) that can be argued as being "Misc. Comics Films" as well which is the reason I created sections 2B, 3B, 4B, 1C, and 2C in above post.

source area.JPG

Last edited:
I edited some of above posts to make more coherent applicable sense.

The 2nd post I cleaned up and added color coding to the categories along with an explanation of applicability for this color coding if one were to apply it to a chronological listing of Misc. Comics entries.

In the 3rd post I just made a bit more clear as to the "Misc. Comics Film" entries themselves.

RedWideeyedEquine-size_restricted.gif

I can always delete the posts as just copied/pasted most of the content anyway then just edited onto over time. I don't see why most people will be wierded out by it but I can delete it if bothers others too.

It's just my own personal random idea to categorize different films with the weblinks being the overall thing to reference. If someone says a misc. comic film for instance:
1980: Hero at Large, Super Fuzz; Flash Gordon
1981: Condor Man; Time Bandits
1985: Remo Williams:The Adventure Begins; *Red Sonja

The main purpose doesn't have to be to quantify everything (I just weblinked as could tell) but just a personal idea to assign a reference point to different films.

Of course other ideas can be used too but just some idea...

Last edited:
I could also just use common sense and say... "Is this material based on either characters and concepts owned by either DC or Marvel?"

I could also just use common sense and say... "Is this material based on either characters and concepts owned by either DC or Marvel?"

My purpose was to differentiate Misc. comics films from each other while distinguishing from genre overlap and films not originating in a comic or graphic novel medium but later linked to in various ways or borrowing from the genre.

I ruled out Marvel and DC as I can just recite them off the top of my head and the label itself essentially puts it on the radar.

1987: Robocop: Leonard Part 6 (not recommending and haven't seen); The Spirit
1990: Robocop 2; Darkman; Dr. Mordid
1991: The Rocketeer

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"