Deadpool's Down Two Books Bought/Though Spoilerific Thread

Glad you took a chance on both. The entire BIG TIME run of ASM so far has been great, IMO. Hasn't been a below average issue of the bunch to me, since Dan Slott became the sole writer (he'd shared duties on ASM with 2-3 other writers since 2008). This was the first ASM issue that dealt with Johnny's death; the prior 2-3 issues had been dealing with the death of another member of Peter's supporting cast, as well as the birth of a new Venom.

I'll have to check out the BIG TIME arc. The Spider-Slayers arc sounds pretty cool, too. With DC publishing 2 books that I'm interested in, Detective and American Vampire, my pull lists have been getting smaller and smaller. Adding Spidey and FF, I think, will make for nice additions.

In the new Spidey issue, Susan thanks Peter for talking to Franklin. If it was shown, was it in a Spidey book or a Fantastic Four book?

I'll have to check out the BIG TIME arc. The Spider-Slayers arc sounds pretty cool, too. With DC publishing 2 books that I'm interested in, Detective and American Vampire, my pull lists have been getting smaller and smaller. Adding Spidey and FF, I think, will make for nice additions.

In the new Spidey issue, Susan thanks Peter for talking to Franklin. If it was shown, was it in a Spidey book or a Fantastic Four book?

It was in FANTASTIC FOUR #588.

So, in getting righteous with the beginning of Butcher Baker, Righteous Maker, I realized that Joe Casey has to be among the most underrated writers in comics today. I know he's known and all, but it seems he's really not held up there among the greats of today. This comic shows why he should be. Unfortunately, I think this series will mainly be remembered for its crazy teaser campaign, which, while kind of funny as a parody of the whole still image teaser craze of the mainstream industry right now, really wore out being funny and probably exhausted people more than anything.

Under someone else, I'm fairly convinced this would be another boring pseudo-deconstruction of the genre like we've been seeing on and off in the post-Watchmen industry. But under Casey's pen we get something fun and crazy as well as commenting on the idea of the patriot hero stuck in a time when he'd outdated. This isn't a humorless drag through the mud, but has more substance than an Ennis-inspire ripping down of the concept.

The issue serves as a bit of a set-up and origin to the main character. We have a lot of things being thrown at us (Jay Leno and Dick Cheney getting him out of retirement, apparently a President of Reality that Butcher's worked for in the past, a whole jail of super powered villains that he's blown up to kill them off), so Casey is showing us a lot that's bound to come of the run. Huddleston's art is fantastic, giving it a really hectic and crazy feel (the chase scene between Baker's rig and the cop car has to be the best car chase scene I've ever seen illustrated in a superhero comic, seriously), and the red, white and blue color tones top it all off for the feel of the book.

It's a great book, filled with all that extreme mentality that a lot of people try to inject into the genre to be 'more mature', but Casey pulls it off with sharp writing and a distinct, humorous feeling that it's not all just pointless shock like so much else like it. One issue in, and I'm pretty hooked. If Casey continues in this manner, we might be onto something pretty special here.

In the proper state to talk about this but this was the best book of the week/ever Casey once again proves that he is one of the best in the business. Butcher Baker is seems like it's going to be one of the funniest and funnest books out there. Nothing but Fear and Loathing, hardcore road-trip, superhero adventure shot with a massive amount of Casey's psychedelic. This is going to be Image's newest Casanova. An original book with amazing art. Hopefully it lasts.

....Seriously friends shouldn't let inebriated friends go on the internet. Well I still stand my drunken rambling of one of my favorite new books. :oldrazz:

Last edited:
Deadpool.... what can we say.... he's no Wolverine in over exposure longevity.

Anyhow... my reviews. I picked up seven comics this week, 2 of them unexpected. While I was doing my comic cutting a week or two ago I didn't add in Wolverine as a book I collect but I wanted to and just couldn't make it work. I decided to bite the bullet and bought the new issue and the previous one anyway. My wife says I cut it down lower than she expected so I can pick up a few extra issues to try things or even add a $4 comic being that several others are ending very soon.

Wolverine 6 & 7 - I haven't read the frist 5 issues with him in Hell but this story takes place after that. His mind is freed from hell but his body is still controled by demons and he's raging war with himself while fighting Damian Hellstorm, both Ghost Riders, his girlfriend (who I didn't know he had), and the X-Men. I was very impressed with this story so far and was really into it. I WILL be getting caught up on this title and collecting the book again if this is what I can get from Aaron on the title. Kinda wish I'd started on his Weapon X run but oh well.

As for these issues themselves, fantastic. Acuna's art works here and the demons in Wolverine's mind are interesting. I really liked when one of the demons recognized Magneto and we learn he was in the mind of a nazi who tormented him as a child. Good stuff :up: I'm eager to continue on this storyline.

X-23 8 - This begins the Collision crossover with Daken and it was pretty good. Between Daken's last issue and this one I'm starting to grow curious about him. I didn't read much of Wolverine: Origins and all my knowedge of Daken is from Dark Avengers, which didn't make me like or hate the character one way or the other. I'm definately curious how all this plays out. As for X-23's comic itself... I feel it's the lesser of the 2 books but hopefully it'll get better once it gets to the Weapon X stuff.

Avengers 11 - Now there's an ending I wasn't expecting (if it isn't a sham or something). Hood has a pretty good throwdown with Thor, Namor, and Red Hulk (Rulk getting a pretty good showing in it) and loses a gem to them, making it 2 gems for Hood and 2 gems for the Avengers. Hood then gets to the ruins of the X-Mansion and picks up the 5th gem. He then goes after the final gem, which is hidden on the Astral Plane, and there, just as Hood's about to get it... someone else desparate for the gems claims it.... THANOS BABY!!!

Now if this is his return after the end of Thanos Imperative then that'd be cool, though I have a feeling this is some sort of scam by Dr. Strange or Iron Man. We'll see how it plays out.

Amazing Spider-Man 657 - I wasn't very impressed with this issue... enough to call it probably the weakest issue of Slott's run so far. Not that it was bad, but it wasn't anything special. I liked the cover, the two panels containing the toilet paper joke, Caselli's art for his few pages, and the final 2 pages with Johnny's hologram. I was mostly indifferent to Ben's story, didn't like Sue's story at all, and was bored of Reed's story. The inbetween scenes were decent but not enough to carry the story. This issue wasn't worth the $4 and I'd even say a $3 price tag.

Honestly, 655 saved me from dropping the book. Issues like this make me question that decision. Hopefully it'll get better.

Green Lantern: Emerald Warriors 8 - Probably the best issue of the series so far and that's likely due to the crossover than the title itself. Hal coming in helped and, like in GLC, the fight between the two lanterns (Hal and Guy) is shortlived and they move on. I like that there's a rivalry and it's addressed but I felt the fight was out of nowhere. They came to their senses and get rid of their rings... and now I feel the story can begin. We got the obligatory Earth Lantern fights out of the way, the initial plot has begun, now I'm ready for the story to commense. Hopefully it'll get really good now.

Echo 29 - Second to last issue and I'm glad. This title was so great for most of it's run but I feel like these last 5 to 10 issues could have been condensed by near half. It's just dragging to its final. I mean, this issue does NOTHING for the story. They head somewhere, find it, and go in... and that's about it. If this were an ongoing I'd likely have cut it during my cuts but since it's ending next issue I've decided to stick with it. It's been good enough for that at least. It's only dragged a bit in the end here. The rest has been great.

Best and worst of the week

Best: Avengers 11 - I think Thanos in the end makes this issue the best for me. I don't believe that it's him but it was enough to make me go "Whoa" and that seldom ever happens. No matter how it plays out, aces to Bendis for making me excited for the next issue.

Worst: Amazing Spider-Man 657 - I think I explained this one in the review. I just didn't give a crap about the issue. I wanted to since I love the Spidey/Torch duo, and as I said, it wasn't bad, but I felt like it was just trying too hard. And I'm not as big on Martin's art as other people seem to be. He worked for the more abstract 655 but I've not cared for him as much these past two issues.

Thanos at the end did not make me go "Whoa" it made me go "Wait a minute, shouldn't Thanos be dead? Considering that the Cancerverse was destroyed." Bendis yet again ignores what goes on in books that aren't his own.

A "death" without a body isn't a death at all. We all, every one of us, KNOW that Thanos, Nova, and Starlord will be back... it's just a matter of when and how. I don't believe the Cancerverse was destroyed one ioda.

So no, it isn't Bendis ignoring what happened at all but either A) he's writing Thanos's escape, or B) it's a scam to fool the Hood.

If Abnett and Lanning wrote this exact same story I guarentee you people would be ecstatic about this ending.

Because we'd have more faith in Abnett and Lanning giving a proper explanation. Bendis has a history of just doing whatever the **** he wants :o

The most "important" characters Abnett & Lanning are allowed to write that will effect them in any way will be the NEW MUTANTS, who have the distinction of outliving GENERATION X (or most of 'em). While you stated it could be a trick, it also is irrelevant. Bendis writes what he wants because he's the #1 guy and everyone else writes and edits around him. If he wants Thanos back and after the gems, Thanos is back and after the gems. It'll be up to other writers or the Handbook staff to make sense of it, like they had to with his "origin of the Beyonder" issue of ILLUMINATI. Most Handbook Bio's go with the, "Beyonder was confused and convinced himself he was an Inhuman mutant for a while" angle.

What we on Hype feel about Bendis is also irrelevant. He can sleepwalk through a script and it will sell better than something else that is better. I think even Bendis knows it, which is why he's trying to escape his rut with more creator owned material. I haven't read TAKIO, but I'd bet it's better than years worth of NEW AVENGERS stories I have owned.

I liked this week's ASM, but I can see how some might not be impressed by the antholog style. In a way, Slott has to compete with himself and I'M WITH STUPID almost every time he wants to do a Spidey/Torch sort of thing, and that's rough. I actually liked the angle of the normally proper and "by the rules" Sue being caught in some minor police trouble and Johnny being there for her. I am curious what sort of Foundation adventure Slott comes up with next issue.

HEY ALL!

I just got back from vacation, and wanted to drop in and say how much I missed not getting my comics on Wednesday. (Not to mention that I missed out on a couple comics I wanted that weren't available when I walked into my shop this afternoon.) I drove from Washington to San Diego..and, I found the most AWESOME comic shop I've ever been in. I ended up spending over $500.00 there, and walked out with a good size small box of comics...plus about a fourth more. They had such a great deal on some Silver Age books; plus, I got to look at some real gems that just made me stop in my tracks and stare. (They had some awesome Timely Comics. And, they were actually pretty reasonably priced, if anyone wanted to buy them.) It was great to get so many comics from the early 70's. Plus, for the first time, I was able to get a good start on my Tomb Of Dracula collection. I think I picked up 22 of the 70 issue run. Those old Marvel Monster books are hella expensive!

Tomorrow, I have to hunt down Butcher Baker; but, did anyone see what Undying Love is about?

What we on Hype feel about Bendis is also irrelevant. He can sleepwalk through a script and it will sell better than something else that is better. I think even Bendis knows it, which is why he's trying to escape his rut with more creator owned material. I haven't read TAKIO, but I'd bet it's better than years worth of NEW AVENGERS stories I have owned.

That's how I feel about Amazing Spider-Man. I guess we're pretty opposite that way. I think Bendis's Avengers are pretty good and handled well while Slott's Amazing Spider-Man, while not bad, is definately overrated and not worth the praise it's getting (issue 655 aside).

I liked this week's ASM, but I can see how some might not be impressed by the antholog style. In a way, Slott has to compete with himself and I'M WITH STUPID almost every time he wants to do a Spidey/Torch sort of thing, and that's rough. I actually liked the angle of the normally proper and "by the rules" Sue being caught in some minor police trouble and Johnny being there for her. I am curious what sort of Foundation adventure Slott comes up with next issue.

Oh, I like anthologies... I just don't think he did well with the comic. A couple jokes in Ben's story was decent enough but I felt the Sue story could have been written by a twelve year old and was by far one of the most rediculous things I've read all year. Reed's story as the father figure was okay but nothing special. The issue just wasn't any good in my opinion.

And I've never read Slott's Spidey/Torch mini so it certainly wasn't a comparison issue... and if this is how he writes the Spidey/Torch stuff I'm not sure I'd be interested in even checking it out.

Hey, I just noticed that I didn't see Age of X: Universe #1 at my shop. Did anyone else get this or was it delayed?

That's how I feel about Amazing Spider-Man. I guess we're pretty opposite that way. I think Bendis's Avengers are pretty good and handled well while Slott's Amazing Spider-Man, while not bad, is definately overrated and not worth the praise it's getting (issue 655 aside).

Given how well Bendis' AVENGERS sells, I'm glad someone around here is buying it because they enjoy it, not because its "important". :)

Oh, I like anthologies... I just don't think he did well with the comic. A couple jokes in Ben's story was decent enough but I felt the Sue story could have been written by a twelve year old and was by far one of the most rediculous things I've read all year. Reed's story as the father figure was okay but nothing special. The issue just wasn't any good in my opinion.

And I've never read Slott's Spidey/Torch mini so it certainly wasn't a comparison issue... and if this is how he writes the Spidey/Torch stuff I'm not sure I'd be interested in even checking it out.

SPIDER-MAN/HUMAN TORCH: I'M WITH STUPID from 2005 is one of the best things Dan Slott has written, with great art by Ty Templeton. It can be had fairly cheaply if you want the digest, but the trade shouldn't set you back much.

I wouldn't say ASM #587 was the best ASM issue I've read, even under BIG TIME, but I enjoyed it. It was a slow week, though. I only got 5 books, and that was including a book from last week.

Hey, I just noticed that I didn't see Age of X: Universe #1 at my shop. Did anyone else get this or was it delayed?

My shop in NYC had it. I didn't buy it.

Given how well Bendis' AVENGERS sells, I'm glad someone around here is buying it because they enjoy it, not because its "important". :)

The only book I buy without really enjoying because of importance is Uncanny X-Men. Being the huge X-Men fan that I am I just couldn't break myself from that book during Fraction's run despite the fact that I just about hated every issue. It was, unfortunately, the book that modeled the rest of the X-Universe so I felt I had to read it. Fortunately, Fraction's gone and Gillen is solo so we'll see how he does.

SPIDER-MAN/HUMAN TORCH: I'M WITH STUPID from 2005 is one of the best things Dan Slott has written, with great art by Ty Templeton. It can be had fairly cheaply if you want the digest, but the trade shouldn't set you back much.

I seldom do the trade thing. I've heard good things though and I always have liked the Peter/Johnny relationship. One of the first comics I ever owned was Fantastic Four 362 I think it was when Spidey had just heard about Johnny's "divorce" from Alicia Masters and went to cheer him up by goading him into hijinx. If I see the issues for cheap sometime I may give them a shot but we'll see.

But yeah, as for trades, I seldom ever buy them. Most times I only buy trades to use for binding stories that the issues themselves are too expensive... such as Invincible and Y: the Last Man. I have a few of those with the intent to eventually bind them, though I don't know if I ever will. I also have the Captain Universe: Universal Heroes to add to my cosmic binds because I found it for $3 and figured "why not?"

The only trades I actually own and like are Watchmen, The Stuff of Legend Book 1: The Dark, and Mouse Guard: Fall 1152. I plan on continuing SoL and MS as I find them cheap at Half Priced Books.

My shop in NYC had it. I didn't buy it.

Well suck! I guess if I had to miss an issue though I'm glad it was that one. I was debating on picking it up anyway.

To whoever said I should try Sonic Universe, I am also picking that up and digging it. I figured part 1 of a new story was a good place to start.

My shop had Age of X too, but I left it behind for now.

To whoever said I should try Sonic Universe, I am also picking that up and digging it. I figured part 1 of a new story was a good place to start.

My shop had Age of X too, but I left it behind for now.
That would be me:awesome:
I was debating on picking up that arc of Sonic. I haven't read an issue with Silver in it, but I am interested in the return of Enterjak(or however they spell it.) I'll most likely wait and pick up the issues with Scourage the evil hedgehog.

I need to find a way to get all the trades on the cheap. I looked into the backissues but dang if Sonic ain't popular enough to keep their prices high 17 years later. But I guess there's a reason it's made it to 223 issues and counting.

I always regret coming late into a good series that started within my lifetime. And you know what's funny? I NEVER see Archie Comics books in discount bins. The best I see is 80 cents or above. Never cheaper. Shows you, despite the low sales monthly, the books have some serious staying power.

I think there's about 15 volumes of older Sonic stories collected in smaller digest format (slightly bigger than the traditional Archie digest size) which I think collects 4 or 6 issues per... and I think they're about 8 bucks a pop... though if you buy them from Archie, you might get a better deal...

I really should give it a try...

Yeah, I know...but if I could get 'em cheaper, well, y'know...

I need to find a way to get all the trades on the cheap. I looked into the backissues but dang if Sonic ain't popular enough to keep their prices high 17 years later. But I guess there's a reason it's made it to 223 issues and counting.

I always regret coming late into a good series that started within my lifetime. And you know what's funny? I NEVER see Archie Comics books in discount bins. The best I see is 80 cents or above. Never cheaper. Shows you, despite the low sales monthly, the books have some serious staying power.

That is because Archie does not rely solely on the direct market. They still sell comics to newsstands and convenience store chains. Just recently they announced that virtually their ENTIRE library of comics was going day-and-date both digitally and in print. Direct market shops weren't pleased, which is why Marvel and DC haven't done the same, but Archie didn't care.

It is good that Archie comics don't rely solely on the direct market, because many of their comics don't sell too hot there.

While we're on the subject...

Hype dudes, Betty or Veronica?
Hype chicks, Archie or Reggie? (Write-in votes for Jughead acceptable as well)

you didn't miss much with age of x - universe. i've enjoyed the storyline as a whole but this issue was just not groundbreaking. there were some interesting moments like iron man as a virtual living cadaver and banner's absorption of mutants making him veiny - and i'm assuming that creepy thing on the leash was sabertooth, but unless the second issue is vitally important to the story i'm skipping it.

and while i would take Betty home to mom and dad, I know that Veronica would be a beast in the sack.

A bunch of very quick reviews.

Scarlet #5

The only complaint I could possibly come up with this book by Bendis and Maleev is having to wait 2 months for the next issue to come out. It's definitely Bendis at his best, and Maleev's art goes so well with this style of book. This issue wraps up Book One, too. 9/10

Speaker For The Dead #3

Continuing the Ender's Game comics, this comic is still very satisfying; but, I do miss some of many of those characters from those first few minis. Even Ender's sister has disappeared from the books. 8/10

Uncanny X-Force #6

Just not feeling this storyline as much as the previous. Maybe it's because Marvel writers keep trying to get us interested in Deathlok...and, nobody is really delivering the character nicely. Still, we all know there are worse X-titles. 6/10

Astonishing Spider-Man & Wolverine #5

Wow. What a different feel this book has since that first issue. That's what happens when you introduce Mojo to your storyline. Thankfully, I was more prepared with this issue; so, the humor worked pretty well, and I found myself laughing quite a bit. If you want a serious, action-packed story...this isn't for you. I found myself coming around, though, to what Aaron is doing. 8/10

Kick-Ass 2 #2

Took long enough for the second issue to come out...and, it's much better than the first issue set-up. I like this Avengers-style storyarc; and, I hope we don't have another massive delay for issue #3. 8/10

Godzilla: Kingdom Of Monsters #1

Godzilla rises from the Earth and wreaks havok. That pretty much sums up this extremely sparse first issue. (Not much dialogue. It is about a 5 minute read..if that.) I'll probably pick up issue #2 to see if it improves, but I'm not impressed with this IDW title. 4/10

Amazing Spider-Man #657

Yeah, this issue was a given; but, it doesn't help that we just had a mourning issue previous to this one. It's mainly flashbacks of Spidey hanging with the Fantastic Four and goofing around with Johnny. It's just I didn't feel an emotional connection with this issue. The fun of the first storyline that Slott gave us is quickly fading. He seriously needs to get back to what made this book fun. 6/10

Hulk #31

Ugggg. I really hate to say this; but, with it's second issue, this new direction and storyline for the Red Hulk is going to get very boring. The new villian will tire on me quickly; and, this issue started to feel more like Atlas than Hulk. 5/10

Wolverine And Jubilee #3

The enjoyment of those first two issues quickly fades this issue, as Logan and Jubilee are seperated for pretty much most of this issue. We get three different scenes popping up throughout the issue, and it all gets a bit silly. HUGE step back for this book. 6/10

Thor #621

The only good thing about this issue was that it's the final issue of this most-awful storyline. (I really think it might be a HUGE contender for Worst Thor Storyline Ever.) It's a quick read, and the final battle has a disappointing ending. It sure wasn't worth the build-up. 2/10

5 Ronin #4 and #5

I wasn't feeling this mini much with the first few issues; but, it really pulled itself together nicely in the end by bringing many of the characters together with the final two issues. Normally, I'd groan about Deadpool being brought into it all...but, it was a nice twist to find out that he was the character we saw lurking in that first issue starring Wolverine. 8/10

Hellraiser #1

I just have to say that I only slightly remember that first movie; and, even though I own some of Marvel's Hellraiser books, I haven't read them. So, I'm not sure about some of the things mentioned in this book. I'm guessing the main gal is the same from that first movie; and, I guess it's nice that this book is somewhat dependant on stuff that's happened before. I'm just a bit confused by it all. I'll give the next issue another try. 6/10

Dollhouse One-Shot

I watched most of the first season; but, missed that last couple episodes. And, I never saw season two. That said, I really enjoyed this prequel to the upcoming series. In this, many people have been turned into crazed maniacs by some mysterious phone. By the end of this one-shot, I was hooked and wanting more. (Plus, it makes me want to check out the episodes of that series that I missed.) 8/10

Echo #29

Poor JH. He's probably seeing some of these scenes and wondering, "Who the heck are these people who are showing up out of nowhere??" Well, the characters from Strangers In Paradise have been popping up, letting the reader know that this storyline takes place in the SIP Universe. I found that VERY COOL...but, thankfully for new readers, it's not at all essential to their enjoyment of this book. I'm sad to see it all wrapping up very soon; but, I can't wait to see how it all ends. 9/10

Avengers #11

Cool idea...but, boy, did Bendis make this issue almost unreadable. We don't get much of a story, as most every page is one full page panel...and, most of this issue is narration. He's definitely dragging this sucker out. 5/10

Undying Love #1

Good first issue, and I'll definitely put it on my pull list. If you're tired of vampires, this might not be the book for you; but, I liked it. The storyline is basically about a guy who's trying to save the woman he loves...she's been bitten and turned into a vamp...and, he must kill the vampire that turned her in order to save her. 8/10

Infestation: Ghostbusters #2

Maybe not as good as the first issue, I still enjoyed this two-issue tie-in with IDWs Infestation. It doesn't make me at all interested in the other books from IDW; but, I'd check out Ghostbusters if another issue of their book comes out. 7/10

Ultimate X #4

Talk about a long wait! What is this book...a good nine months late? It's too bad, because I've enjoyed this Loeb book quite a bit. I like how these new Ultimate X-Men are being brought together; and, the spotlight-style of each issue has been working well. Another good issue...but, probably not worth the long wait. 8/10

Age Of X Universe #1

I probably liked this issue much more than the first three or four issues of the main storyline that I've already read. It shows readers how this Age Of X went from capturing mutants to decided to kill them. The ending of this issue was pretty cool....and, the back-up feature showing the capture of Spider-Man was nice, too. (If you're a fan of Peter and MJ being together, you'll appreciate it, too.) 8/10

The Walking Dead #83

Kirkman is cleaning house, yet again. I won't say I enjoy it. I thought the last time, he killed off too many likeable characters, and the books darker tone wasn't as enjoyable. Now, it feels like he's doing it again. The ending was a shocker. I didn't expect the boy to have a good portion of his face shot off...but, it seems like they might save him. (I don't see how that would be possible, though...so, when they do, I'll find it a bit unbelievable.)

I won't say I enjoyed this issue...but, it was still a good read. 7/10

While we're on the subject...

Hype dudes, Betty or Veronica?
Hype chicks, Archie or Reggie? (Write-in votes for Jughead acceptable as well)
Veronica, I'm more into brunettes, especially rich ones :awesome:

Shame that I guess Deadpool Max is getting shuttered, the couple issues of that I read were actually pretty golden.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"