• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

Did Action Comics #900 just show the new Krypton for Man Of Steel?

N7 Joseph Shepard

Human/Kryptonian Hybrid
Reaction score
ok so a few weeks ago we got confirmation that we would be seeing a new version of Krypton in the new movie

Krypton will not be a crystal planet like the Donner film; this Krypton will PROBABLY look like the Coruscant skyline from Star Wars.
http://www.latinoreview.com/news/exclusive-man-of-steel-will-reveal-a-new-krypton-more-13234

now without spoiling the whole thing for those who didnt read it, in Action Comics #900 we see a short story that involves Jor-El who is much younger then previous versions (has dark hair instead of grey/white) and the Krypton he's on looks very similar to how the movie version is being said to look like........no crystal elements at all........which sucks in my opinion lol.

Personally I would have liked them to keep some of the crystal elements of Krypton mixed with tech from the Star Wars Coruscant city stuff, that way they do have something new but keeps the memory of the old look alive :)

I doubt it. Maybe if it had been the one written by goyer, but even then.

That was barely krypton. More like earth in 50 years.

I doubt it. Maybe if it had been the one written by goyer, but even then.

That was barely krypton. More like earth in 50 years.

It is the one written by Goyer, and it does not fill me with confidence.

Goyer wrote the one where superman renounces his citizenship. The 'life support' one, with krypton, was written by david lindelof.

Goyer wrote the one where superman renounces his citizenship. The 'life support' one, with krypton, was written by david lindelof.

Sorry, you are right. I really hated the citizenship one.

Gosh I hope Krypton isn't too much like Coruscant, that world looked like a polluted nightmare.

I don't mind if it looks like Coruscant, personally. Anything but another crystal city. I like the crystal city and Fortress from the old movies, but I've always believed that style was only used because they wanted something that wouldn't look cheap and lame in comparison to Star Wars. I think they figured if they tried to make an actual futuristic-looking planet, it would pale in comparison to the film that came out a year earlier and wowed everyone. So they opted to go with a more outlandish design that, at the time, looked cool and different.

That's no longer an issue; thus the crystal look isn't needed.

Here are a couple of pics. It does look very Coruscant. I hope the movie version will still have certain quirky elements that would make it look more unique and alien, like in Birthright and New Krypton (which still incorporated some crystal design among the buildings).

32456631.jpg

weqs.jpg

59310233.jpg

Last edited:
Thats Krypton? Thats what they dress like? What the ****?

I don't mind if it looks like Coruscant, personally. Anything but another crystal city. I like the crystal city and Fortress from the old movies, but I've always believed that style was only used because they wanted something that wouldn't look cheap and lame in comparison to Star Wars. I think they figured if they tried to make an actual futuristic-looking planet, it would pale in comparison to the film that came out a year earlier and wowed everyone. So they opted to go with a more outlandish design that, at the time, looked cool and different.

That's no longer an issue; thus the crystal look isn't needed.

Funny that you mention Star Wars since John Barry was the production designer on both A New Hope and Superman: The Movie. The look of both were designed by the same individual.

I didn't know Krypton was in Hong Kong.

If it looks like that in the movie, I'm going to be pissed.

That really has got to be the worst interpretation I've ever seen. In the immortal words of AVGN

"WHAT WERE THEY THINKING?"

Funny that you mention Star Wars since John Barry was the production designer on both A New Hope and Superman: The Movie. The look of both were designed by the same individual.

But even Lucas back in the first Star Wars didn't have to design Coruscant, and wouldn't have been able to with his budget. ANH was all Tatooine, the Death Star and Yavin.

I remember in the making of Superman doc. on the DVD, they showed how before Donner there was a different, more complicated design for Krypton, but when he came on board, he decided to simplify the design and thought the minimalism as well as the crystals would effectively display a futuristic world. And it was very effective back then, for that era.

Well, you might not have had any futuristic planets in Star Wars but you still had the ships and the Death Star, which likely would have looked cooler and more advanced than anything WB would have produced for Superman's home planet and rocket ship.

Anyway, this is all just a theory I have about it... I haven't watched the doc though so maybe Donner did just think it should be simplified without Star Wars in mind.

Seriously if that's the style of clothing on Krypton,then Cavill might as well look like this,cause thats where he will get his style from anyways

neo1.jpg

I didn't know Krypton was in Hong Kong.

If it looks like that in the movie, I'm going to be pissed.

That really has got to be the worst interpretation I've ever seen. In the immortal words of AVGN

"WHAT WERE THEY THINKING?"

It's just not different enough and does look like a major city on Earth. The whole story (though short) has that feel.

I'm sure Snyder would get a say in how Krypton looks and wouldn't want to directly copy Coruscant. He is- of course- very much a visual director and, as we've seen, has a lot of ideas on design and visuals.

This short story in the comic book has more to do with the particular artist involved (Ryan Sook) and his collaboration with Lindelof.

Here are a couple of pics. It does look very Coruscant. I hope the movie version will still have certain quirky elements that would make it look more unique and alien, like in Birthright and New Krypton (which still incorporated some crystal design among the buildings).

32456631.jpg

weqs.jpg

59310233.jpg

The problem with this interpretation is it just doesn’t look alien enough, looks more futuristic than alien. Maybe they are going the red son route and having Krypton be a future earth kind of thing (I hope not but who knows).

Seriously if that's the style of clothing on Krypton,then Cavill might as well look like this,cause thats where he will get his style from anyways

neo1.jpg
isn't that the same outfit that that Marlon wore, except with the shiney????

i hope they don't base MOS's Krypton on those designs. imo, it's uninspired. they look like they're wearing regular business suits and the city, itself, looks like any other sci fi city.

I kind of like it. I think if Kryptonians physical appearance is exactly what we look like
then i dont think they would live in such an Alien world.. Everything around us
has been designed around us and our capabilities.. Kryptonians are not said to have any extra power
than a human when on their home planet so i imagine their planet could look quite
similar to ours.

Last edited:
I just read the story and I loved it. Very touching with the scientist saying goodbye to his daughter. Makes us think about how many lives and families were lost in the destruction of the planet. As long as the main ingredients are there, Krypton being an utopian society, Jor-el saving his son, i don't care how it is portrayed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"