Discussion: Online Piracy, Net Neutrality, Killswitch, and Other Internet Issues II

Great, now the only sites we'll be able to access are the ones that shell out the most money. Way to screw the small business owners and everyone who browses the web. I really hope the Democrats take over the House this fall, because the Republicans are just a bunch of greedy-ass, corporate ****es.

I think it's a bit crap that I would have to pay $35 to petition a strike that is wrongly applied to me.

What gets me about these copyright laws is that they continually throw out the presumption of innocence. They assume you're guilty, and you have to prove your innocence, which is exactly the opposite of how the justice system is supposed to work in this country.

Out of no where and 5 top Internet Providers launch it next week.

http://www.dailydot.com/news/copyright-alerts-system-launch-six-strikes/

The CAS, designed as an "educational" service to combat casual piracy in the U.S., has been criticized as designed purely for corporate interests, at the expense of the average Internet user. While it doesn't require ISPs to cut off Internet access to repeat pirates—as is the case in France and New Zealand—it will issue escalating punishments to suspected pirates, severely reducing their connection speeds after five or six offenses.

Now I watched the cute little video--:dry:--and it seems to just target P2P. Now if it goes after video game play throughs on YouTube and daytime soaps on YouTube, oh, oh, donkey kong, it on.

If corporate power is controlled by consumers then it should be easy to stop these media giants, right Libertarians?

At least we could stop SOPA be lighting up the phones of congress. There no stopping these corporations. This is why corporate power is more frightning than a democratic government. People want to privatize the military, the police, etc? How do you stop them, when they stop playing around and shut down our freedoms?

and this is just the beginning. Corporations are done playing around with us.

If corporate power is controlled by consumers then it should be easy to stop these media giants, right Libertarians?

Corporate power is controlled by the consumers.

But when the consumers are fine with bending over and taking it, guess what happens?

I was hoping the whole SOPA/PIPA debacle might be the wake up call we needed, at least the first. Let the people know that their voices can make a difference, and remind Congress who the real bosses are.

Too bad it didn't stick :(

Corporate power is controlled by the consumers.

But when the consumers are fine with bending over and taking it, guess what happens?

I was hoping the whole SOPA/PIPA debacle might be the wake up call we needed, at least the first. Let the people know that their voices can make a difference, and remind Congress who the real bosses are.

Too bad it didn't stick :(

Does this mean YouTube is in for a rude awakening next week?

Does this mean YouTube is in for a rude awakening next week?

YouTube?

You mean every website that freely uses or allows users to freely use copyrighted media including this one and many, many others.

The internet and all the ideas/information/media freely exchanged on it belong to the media giants. The masses were just trying on daddies clothes until he came home from work or should I say big brother's?

Prometheus called. He said the gods want their fire back.

Last edited:
Well, let's see what happens when all those strikes start rolling in. And when Youtube and Google, who are already taking **** for stuff constantly getting taken down through the terrible DMCA claim procedures, start really getting angry users.

If my MackandMesh, Mackscorner playthroughs get taken down....if classic episodes of GH get taken down--oh, and there's no streaming service for past episodes of GH or any day time soap, and legit dvd's are few and far inbetween--if this stuff gets messed with, my Congressmen is getting a ear full.

:o and not because he's a R or a D lol.

The media can brainwash the public but we can't use that same media they use to brainwash the masses for our own purposes?

Because their copyrights and profits are more important than truth, individual control of media and information, self-empowerment, and self determination for all Americans.

I'm not worried about losing bootlegs and torrents, I'm worried about losing the abity to link or embed easily accessable and easy to spread media that can be enlightening or important because Rupert Murdock or some ultra-powerful media tycoon owns the rights.

The internet was the last place where the people controlled the media for our own purposes. These media giants want to turn the internet into just another tv set they tightly control.

The thing they don't understand is that throughout history, WE SIMPLY FOUND A NEW WAY TO PIRATE STUFF!

It's not going to make it go away especially when you don't address the two main causes for piracy:

1. lack of availability
2. excessive cost

If the Orwellian Chinese government can't stop piracy then neither can the US government.

But piracy probably isn't the goal, it's censorship and the strict control over media.

That is why you use proxies or use McDonalds/Bookstore WiFi.:o

http://boingboing.net/2013/02/18/cispa-is-back-worst-internet.html

The worst Internet regulation bill since SOPA/PIPA has reared it's ugly head once again and by no surprise it was the House Republicans who decided to bring it back as a piece a legislation in hopes of getting it passed through Congress. Couldn't have picked a worse time considering the Sequester coming up on March 1st.

Once again it's up to us to spread the word and stop CISPA from becoming the law of the land in the United States from destroying the Internet. Last year Congress tried to pass CISPA into law during the 2012 Election Primaries around the same time and went to great lengths to pass it behind closed doors even internationally via treaty which ultimately failed.

Here's an Official White House.gov Petition against this:

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/stop-cispa-cyber-intelligence-sharing-and-protection-act/19sQhBpy

When I heard all those stories of US companies getting hacked, the first thing that came to mind is they are using it to try push internet regulation laws.

The weird thing is you think regulating the internet would be pushed by Democrats not Republicans.

Well, if you live in New Jersey, you might want to start backing this guy.

And, if you don't live in New Jersey, you might want to write a check for his campaign anyway.

"Carl Bergmanson, a New Jersey gubernatorial democrat running in the 2013 primary, has recently spoken out against the new 'six strike policy' being put in place this week by major ISPs. He said: 'The internet has become an essential part of living in the 21st century, it uses public infrastructure and it is time we treat it as a public utility. The electric company has no say over what you power with their service, the ISPs have no right to decide what you can and can not download.'"

http://www.politickernj.com/63481/candidate-bergmanson-decries-new-six-strike-rule

That dude has it right. I'm sure customers would backlash and scare ISPs if they do enforce 6 strikes.

My main problem with Copyright Alert System is that why the **** does the RIAA and MPAA have access to my internet connection and is allowed to see what I'm doing? That has to be illegal.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13578_3-5...ns-companies-cant-promise-to-protect-privacy/

CISPA vote means companies can't promise to protect your privacy.

Sad news for..well, just sad.

By a 5-8 vote, the House Rules committee rejected a bipartisan fix to the CISPA data-sharing bill that would have ensured companies' privacy promises -- including their terms of use and privacy policies -- remained valid and legally enforceable in the future.

Republicans voted it down. -_-

It also came hours after a formal veto threat from the Obama administration, citing privacy and other concerns about CISPA. A House floor debate is scheduled to begin tomorrow, which now will not include a vote on the amendment.

Dat Obama. I don't ''care'' what people say, Obama kept one promise from 2008. He ain't messing with the internet. Veto brah, veto those bills.

Rep. Justin Amash, a Michigan Republican who also sponsored the amendment, said afterward on Twitter that the committee "actually wants to prohibit companies from guaranteeing your privacy."

Dat Amash.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"