Discussion: Online Piracy, Net Neutrality, Killswitch, and Other Internet Issues II

The public needs to flood congress with phone calls like when the internet did a service blackout to protest SOPA.

Geez, exclusive content deals (YouTube on a single ISP?!!!) would be a disaster for the Internet.

They passed this one like a silent yet repellent fart.

This is absolutely awful and I thought the YouTube content I.D algorithm was bad. I can't believe congress. Actually what I'm I saying of course I can believe congress would pass this.

Congress didn't pass anything.

The FCC made a ruling that companies had to follow net neutrality principals.

The Appeals Court threw it out saying there was enough competition in the marketplace to give consumers choice, forcing companies to follow those principals.

No idea what gave them that idea.

The Appeals Court threw it out saying there was enough competition in the marketplace to give consumers choice, forcing companies to follow those principals.

Maybe they are old. I don't care what your politics are, there's no free market for ISP's. Some areas are out of luck. Same with Cable and Sat. We don't have dozens and dozens...we have like a handful or two, but in some or most areas it's not even half of that to choose from.

Yeah my mistake.

This is tyranny by consent.

Well at least I have Comcast and they're obligated by contract to follow the old FCC rules for at least 7 more years.

There's also no way Google is ok with this. I'm sure they'll try making an appeal sometime in the near future.

Yeah my mistake.

This is tyranny by consent.

Well at least I have Comcast and they're obligated by contract to follow the old FCC rules for at least 7 more years.

There's also no way Google is ok with this. I'm sure they'll try making an appeal sometime in the near future.

:o wouldn't the contract be invalid now?

Maybe they are old. I don't care what your politics are, there's no free market for ISP's. Some areas are out of luck. Same with Cable and Sat. We don't have dozens and dozens...we have like a handful or two, but in some or most areas it's not even half of that to choose from.

Exactly. In my case, I think my apartment complex has a kickback deal with the cable company. We aren't allowed to have satellite or any other cable provider.

This whole situation is a mess. If the government was going to be involved in the first place, they should have laid the pipes and then allowed all companies to enter the market to use the same pipes. Instead, they subsidized the hell out of existing telecom providers and then created a massive barrier to entry for anyone who wanted to enter the market and create true competition.

The South Korean government laid fiber lines and then allowed all companies to compete for customers. They have a very robust ISP market with blazing fast Internet at much, much lower prices than we pay.

The South Korean government laid fiber lines and then allowed all companies to compete for customers. They have a very robust ISP market with blazing fast Internet at much, much lower prices than we pay.

That was a damn smart approach.

Too bad it's too late to do this in the USA. These huge companies are going to completely rob consumers.

That what they pay their lobbyist the big bucks for.

These companies nearly hold a monopoly on the market. I literally have only ONE company to get internet through...Comcast. And if they decided I can't watch Netflix anymore, guess what? I can't watch it...because Comcast is the only internet available in my area.

These companies nearly hold a monopoly on the market. I literally have only ONE company to get internet through...Comcast. And if they decided I can't watch Netflix anymore, guess what? I can't watch it...because Comcast is the only internet available in my area.

Does your local cell phone store offer internet? AT&T, Verizon, Sprint? Sat?

Who needs the Internet to curtail your privacy?

WASHINGTON — The National Security Agency has implanted software in nearly 100,000 computers around the world that allows the United States to conduct surveillance on those machines and can also create a digital highway for launching cyberattacks.

While most of the software is inserted by gaining access to computer networks, the N.S.A. has increasingly made use of a secret technology that enables it to enter and alter data in computers even if they are not connected to the Internet, according to N.S.A. documents, computer experts and American officials.

The technology, which the agency has used since at least 2008, relies on a covert channel of radio waves that can be transmitted from tiny circuit boards and USB cards inserted surreptitiously into the computers. In some cases, they are sent to a briefcase-size relay station that intelligence agencies can set up miles away from the target.

Remember when people who wore tin foil hats were wrong?

Pepperidge Farm remembers.

What I suspect will happen (likely next year or mid 2014) many of the major internet dealers will create various packages. Netflix and Hulu will be exclusive to the much more expensive premium package. This will allow cable dealers to do what they have wanted to do all along...force people to go back to cable TV or pay double for internet just to watch shows on streaming services. (HD streaming will be exclusive to this package)

Online gaming will require a faster connection, likely one speed lower than the top tier premium.

So the internet will become like tv with exclusive and overpriced packages robbing consumers blind.

Hooray for deregulation!

What I suspect will happen (likely next year or mid 2014) many of the major internet dealers will create various packages. Netflix and Hulu will be exclusive to the much more expensive premium package. This will allow cable dealers to do what they have wanted to do all along...force people to go back to cable TV or pay double for internet just to watch shows on streaming services. (HD streaming will be exclusive to this package)

Online gaming will require a faster connection, likely one speed lower than the top tier premium.

Is there ANYTHING we can do?

I know, calling, petitions, etc but...

More like certain people in the FCC can be.

For example, the FCC chairwoman (I think) who approved Comcast buying NBC. Resigned. Then "ended up" working at one of them 6 months later.

Isn't the FCC just as corrupt as the FDA?

Very corrupt. The head lobbyist for the telecom companies was in charge of the FCC in 2002 when they declared Internet providers are only "information providers" and not "common carriers" like utility companies.

I think the problem with this is that most people have no idea what net neutrality means.

People need to sum up the problem in more general terms.

E.g. SOPA had a great one: no more youtube. That woke people up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohkeelay
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"