• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

Discussion: Third Stimulus Package Thread

Unemployed should be added to those who receive the stimulus. I don't care what they made before, but executives/owners don't get it. Lower paid workers should get a monthly stipend even if it isn't that much. Fix the minimum wage. Make sure small businesses get adequate support.

- $1400 stimulus checks
- An extra $300-400/week in enhanced unemployment benefits.
- Minimum wage hike to $14-15/hour that’s gradually phased in (a la the referendum passed in Florida last year).

That’s a start and probably what Manchin can stomach. It’ll take arm twisting by Biden and Schumer for him to agree to more.

- $1400 stimulus checks
- An extra $300-400/week in enhanced unemployment benefits.
- Minimum wage hike to $14-15/hour that’s gradually phased in (a la the referendum passed in Florida last year).

That’s a start and probably what Manchin can stomach. It’ll take arm twisting by Biden and Schumer for him to agree to more.

The important thing about the GA elections is that at least we'll see bills like this being voted on and we may see some bills passed without support from Manchin as repubs will vote. Consider the Garland nomination that was ignored. Had that nomination come to a vote, he certainly would have gotten some repub support and would have been confirmed. None other than Orrin Hatch praised Garland.

As far as the minimum wage goes, I don't think a straight amount is a good idea and should be adjusted by state.

Would love to see 1200-2000 dollar stimulus checks go on a monthly basis and renewed each quarter as needed till the pandemic is under control. Even for those that aren’t in dire need, it’ll get put back into the economy to help businesses in general I think.

As far as the minimum wage goes, I don't think a straight amount is a good idea and should be adjusted by state.

Federal minimum needs to go to $11 at least. Higher for major metro areas. It’s going to be complex to make sure it’s adjustable in each state for inflation and cost of living.

Would love to see 1200-2000 dollar stimulus checks go on a monthly basis and renewed each quarter as needed till the pandemic is under control. Even for those that aren’t in dire need, it’ll get put back into the economy to help businesses in general I think.

Yeah I think they should start of with 2,000 per adult and 600 per kid for the first month. Then give out 1,000 per adult and 600 per kid for three more months. And increase unemployment to 500 per week. And have a strict cut off for couples bringing in more than 150k.

This would be a huge boost to the economy.

My worry now is that all this coup outrage stuff will give them an excuse to get lazy on covid relief.

It needs to be a monthly thing frankly. But obviously everytime they try to do something in our favor **** like this happens, and not by coincidence.

Yeah it needs to be monthly and I do not see why not at this point

Ehh, its workable.
I’m an idiot so please elucidate if you can. “Workable” in the sense Biden will likely compromise and scale down the check amount to $1200 or can he bypass Manchin and get the full $2,000 passed?

Along the lines that GA will still be fresh in a lot of Senator's minds. And there are a lot of 2022 Republicans up for re-election. And after last week, a quick bipartisan bill to bribe constituents may be a quick pass.

Well he just spoke and said that 600 is nowhere near enough.

I’m not super familiar with Manchin’s role in all these, do we need him on board for it to happen? Or is it just that we’ll have to get a republican to vote for stimulus to outweigh him?

I’m not super familiar with Manchin’s role in all these, do we need him on board for it to happen? Or is it just that we’ll have to get a republican to vote for stimulus to outweigh him?

Unless every Republican wants to lose re-election I'm sure they can find a few Republicans to support 2k checks.

I didn't see this thread before so I'll repeat myself from the Biden thread. Isn't there enough support from Republicans already so that Manchin's vote would not be needed?

I didn't see this thread before so I'll repeat myself from the Biden thread. Isn't there enough support from Republicans already so that Manchin's vote would not be needed?

If they are willing to use reconciliation for Covid relief this year (likely), they only need 51 votes. So a moderate R plus Kamala’s tie breaker would be sufficient. And Manchin can continue to play the center as not voting for it.

They are likely to save reconciliation for something bigger.

I do think that there are 60 votes to get a simple $2000 check out, though. McConnell didn't allow a vote because it would not pass the pedo rule.

Ok that’s what I thought, the biggest hurdle seemed to be getting the vote to the floor.

I hope they don't pile too much into the bill.

That would ensure it doesn't pass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
picamon
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"