Discussion: UK Politics

I have no idea what the current labour party stand for besides not being the Tories.

I wasn't Corbyn's biggest fan but at least he had a recognizable position on things besides Brexit. Keir is very middle of the road and lacks a clear position on what labour under him is and what they want.

Labour needs a charismatic leader with a good vision on the direction of the country.

A lot of ex labour leaders seem better when they are out of power. Ed Milliband has been surprisingly good as a backbencher in recent years. It is a shame he wasn't like this when he was leader. Even Gordon Brown has had some good reasonable ideas and positions on things since no longer being leader.

I don't blame the Scots for wanting to leave the union. The UK is being run by the Tories and little Englanders which isn't something most of them want. Scots interests increasing don't align with the direction England is going under the Tories.

I have no idea what the current labour party stand for besides not being the Tories.

I wasn't Corbyn's biggest fan but at least he had a recognizable position on things besides Brexit. Keir is very middle of the road and lacks a clear position on what labour under him is and what they want.

This should clear it up!

Labour are so divided it's a joke. Plus they've had too many poor leaders in a row. Who knows what could have happened if they had got David Milliband instead of Ed.

Pretty sure his support for the Iraq War would have been a millstone around his neck.

It's not a very highly paid job given the responsibility. The PMs usually rake it in after they leave office.

Yes, Blair has shown that acting as an advisor for dictatorships can be a very lucrative racket.

A big question which no one seems to be able to answer is at the moment where do Labour go? Vaccine roll-out has been a massive success, majority of the country supported lockdowns, working class towns got Brexit which they were baying for and fiscally this government is spending a lot of money, this isn't your usual Tory government asking for small government less "nanny state" right now they are the nanny state.

In a year after we've felt the full effects of the pandemic and brexit, had the reviews into the handling of the crisis it could be different but right now Boris is untouchable.

Last edited:
Although it's not what people want to hear I think what Labour needs is another Tony Blair. Someone moderate but also charismatic with a vision of how to reform Britain.

They've lost support of a lot of working class people because they're perceived to be more a party for students and middle class people who live in cities. Keir Starmer played a larger role in losing the general election of 2019 than Jeremy Corbyn did. He supported another referendum.

I think Labour will get another thrashing next GE. Andy Burnham is the only person who can lead Labour back to power I think. There's a reason why the "Tory Wave" didn't reach Greater Manchester.

A big question which no one seems to be able to answer is at the moment where do Labour go? Vaccine roll-out has been a massive success, majority of the country supported lockdowns, working class towns got Brexit which they were baying for and fiscally this government is spending a lot of money, this isn't your usual Tory government asking for small government less "nanny state" right now they are the nanny state.

In a year after we've felt the full effects of the pandemic and brexit, had the reviews into the handling of the crisis it could be different but right now Boris is untouchable.
I feel like the Tories will run into trouble eventually if they continue to push this authoritarian streak they have been on. The anti-protest law, voter ID, the criminal conduct 2021 bill that makes it easier for police to break the rules in unspecific ways.

Things like the pandemic have meant the Tories move on more restrictive measures on society have been flying slightly under the radar but I think more people will be picking up on what is going on at some point.

I feel like the Tories will run into trouble eventually if they continue to push this authoritarian streak they have been on. The anti-protest law, voter ID, the criminal conduct 2021 bill that makes it easier for police to break the rules in unspecific ways.

Things like the pandemic have meant the Tories move on more restrictive measures on society have been flying slightly under the radar but I think more people will be picking up on what is going on at some point.

I can see them losing some of their libertarian vote but these newly acquired red wall voters absolutely love this show of power from the government, they think the police have been too "soft and PC" for too long, how many times do we still hear the grooming gangs in Rotherham brought up?
Tougher Police, Priti Patel pretending that she's going to throw illegal immigrants to other countries, even the voter ID, it won't stop them voting it'll stop all that voter fraud that helps Sadiq Khan that they read about in the Mail, it's red meat to them.

Yeah, the pandemic has given them cover over many issues for now but pandemic goodwill won’t last forever.

I can see them losing some of their libertarian vote but these newly acquired red wall voters absolutely love this show of power from the government, they think the police have been too "soft and PC" for too long, how many times do we still hear the grooming gangs in Rotherham brought up?
Tougher Police, Priti Patel pretending that she's going to throw illegal immigrants to other countries, even the voter ID, it won't stop them voting it'll stop all that voter fraud that helps Sadiq Khan that they read about in the Mail, it's red meat to them.
Unfortunately the UK has so many very cowardly, unintelligent people who lack critical thinking skills and basic reason. People that seem to making decisions based on whatever propaganda and misinformation that those with an agenda wish them to believe.

Rotherham and grooming gangs in general have been a favorite propaganda tool by far right since the beginning with the whole 'the police and authorities did nothing because they were scared offending Asian communities' nonsense that the EDL and others like to repeat. Anyone who actually paid attention to the Rotherham Grooming scandal report knows it continued for a long time for a whole bunch of reasons including sexism, classism and a whole bunch of people in power deliberately turning a blind eye to protect their own asses and the towns reputation. A fear of how it would effect race relations was a slight issue but not at all anywhere near the top the reason that some people with an agenda have made it. Many of the actual victims the police refused to believe them because they were considered working class unruly chav girls.

The sad truth of Rotherham and similar grooming stories is that many people care more about the perpetrators of these crimes being Asian than their victims.

I saw very little anger towards police, local politicians and social services that let these girls down. I didn't see any marches or social media articles or social media about supporting the victims. No fund raisers for them or #Me Too style campaigns about believing victims of sexual assault.

The police being too soft makes no sense since all they do is investigate and arrest. The crown prosecution service ultimatley give the go ahead on if arrested people are charged and on what counts.

No one with a actual working brain should think the police can magically solve all of societies problems by simply arresting people. You can arrest every kid you come across carrying a knife in London but until you tackle the root causes of why they feel the need to carry a knife it will just continue to happen. Too many people just seem to want dumb simple answers to complex problems.

Too true it's the same people who think nothing of stop and search on young black males but are furious about having to prove you've had a vaccine. I saw something going round about Mark Duggans son being involved in a stabbing and the usual lot on twitter somehow trying to make the point it invalidated the riots.

I mean, at least Trump has charisma. How in the hell did you guys vote for this ****show?
In his earlier days as London mayor he was a lot more popular. People saw him as a good-natured clown. They would have expected him to be incompetent (certainly not a candidate for prime minister) but not an ass. Then in the build up to grabbing power and Brexit he showed what an opportunistic **** he is.

Of course he does, in any other job in life if you have as many lapses in judgement, scandals & in general be a constant **** up, you'd be fired. Yet this donkey Matt Hancock still has a job & he's "helping" run the country. Disgrace.
Yeah, of course his apology was accepted as at the highest levels of power in this country where you are dealing with life and death, it doesn’t matter if you make massive mistakes or decline to follow your own policy (while cheating on your wife!). He’s said sorry so all fine. If Boris gets pissed tonight and launches 50 nukes by accident I’m sure he’ll say sorry the next day.

Reactions: B
I mean, at least Trump has charisma. How in the hell did you guys vote for this ****show?

In his earlier days as London mayor he was a lot more popular. People saw him as a good-natured clown. They would have expected him to be incompetent (certainly not a candidate for prime minister) but not an ass. Then in the build up to grabbing power and Brexit he showed what an opportunistic **** he is.

I'm not sure what political positions he held before he became Prime Minister other than Mayor of London, that being said I was aware of him for some reason long before that & he came across a lot more likable, for a politician, than most..

He appeared on the old Top Gear a few times with Clarkson while Mayor & beforehand & if I recall correctly he actually seemed quite likable. Compared to Trump who's always seemed like a smug asswipe long before he became President, Boris at least hid it better.. although in fairness once you get to the role of President & Prime Minister there's a lot more camera time & "inconvenient" questions you need to answer on the spot & bluff your way out of.

Because despite what TV and Stephen Fry may have led you to believe, we're thick as ****.

We have stupid people in Britain just the same as any other country, there are just more of them in America.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"