• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

Disney in talks to buy Fox: X-Men Homecoming?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t think you can even rule out R rated stuff as you don’t know what will happen. Daredevil and Jessica Jones on the TV side will not be on ABC, but Disney still owns both.

That said, I would not be surprised if Disney makes another “brand” like they had in the old days for the harder stuff. Pulp Fiction was Disney back in the day.

On one hand for me: FantasticFourFantasticFourFantasticFourFantasticFour....

On the other: Will we ever see something like Logan and Deadpool again, would they awkwardly insert X-men and FF into the MCU proper or allow them to be on their own?

I love the MCU and have a blast with each movie, but even though I've had some issues with the X-franchise in the past, I like that they're experimenting more with things like Logan, Deadpool and now it looks like New Mutants will be horror-based. I don't want to lose that.

Disney still uses Touchstone Pictures for distributing mature themed movies, couldn't they do the same if they wanted to make another Logan or Deadpool type movie?

PLEASE LET IT BE TRUE!!!

I need a well done X-men movie in my life!

Fox's shares jumped 8.5% after this news broke, meaning the market is behind this merger. Might take some hoops to jump through but I bet it happens.

If it does happen then the first clown Marvel or Disney better get rid of is Kinberg.

Lets take a step back now before freaking out over "OMG all the rights in one place":

1) This is a massive power grab by Disney that would have very major implications for the film industry. It would HOPEFULLY be broken up by anti-trust laws, but those have recently been increasingly ignored.

2) Do you REALLY want Disney to own the X-Men? If that happens, we will never see anything like Deadpool or Logan ever again.

This, if it happens, is BAD NEWS. It's not technically a monopoly, but when is Disney going to stop? The motion picture industry is well on it's way to being 100% controlled by Disney. That's TERRIBLE for movie fans. Put the notion of an MCU FF or X movie out of your mind. Look at the bigger picture.

PLEASE LET IT BE TRUE!!!

I need a well done X-men movie in my life!

I concur.

Saw the first X-men on T.V. this past weekend and it just doesn't stand the test of time for me. It just feels cheap and half-*ssed. Sad.

Bigger picture guys. This is bad news for movies.

I already don’t see how a comic accurate X-Men would be bland, as the X-Men weren’t bland before the movies in the first place, they were very popular,

So we’re just not going to agree on this.

I imagine we just disagree on what makes a film bland. The Thor films prior to Ragnarok were comic accurate, and very bland. It took several films to make Captain America cool. They all have great costumes and power displays, and zero emotional stakes or surprises in the screenplays. Fox has made many mistakes with X-Men, but the franchise is at such an exciting place right now I can't imagine all of that going away to be replaced by X-Men: The MCU Formula Edition. Obviously they could also absolutely nail it and make one of the best films in X-Men history, but the timing isn't right.

This, if it happens, is BAD NEWS. It's not technically a monopoly, but when is Disney going to stop? The motion picture industry is well on it's way to being 100% controlled by Disney. That's TERRIBLE for movie fans. Put the notion of an MCU FF or X movie out of your mind. Look at the bigger picture.

8ae.gif

...............................................................................okay.

You don't see that one corporation controlling not just an enormous amount of movie real estate, but also television is bad? I know this is a superhero message board and the idea of getting the X-Men and FF into the MCU is ***** material, but not like this. This is not a good move for movie fans.

I've greatly enjoyed Fox's run with X-Men but honestly with Jackman (and the original cast) now long gone, I'm pretty much done. I'd love to see :xmen: come home to Marvel (along with :ff:) and have Fiege and his team take a crack at it (like they did with :spidey:). For the love of god, just get X-Men, the hell away from Kinberg.

It took several films to make Captain America cool.

Correction: Captain America was cool starting with his very first film, and only grew cooler and cooler with each succeeding film.

People looking at this purely through the spectrum of X-men and the MCU aren’t undrstaning what this would really mean - less competition, and that’s not good for anyone. You can pretty much kiss goodbye any mainstream 2pth Century fox film that tries to step outsides Disney’s boundaries. There’s more to this situation than just the x-men movie rights, and it could have wider implications that aren’t good for consumers across multiple areas. This merger should not be allowed to happen.

Pls no. I dont want to have XMen or F4 in the MCU..
We have enough figures, who deserve room to shine.

Burning the film industry to the ground to see Mr. Fantastic and Wolverine in an MCU movie. Totally worth it.

Burning the film industry to the ground to see Mr. Fantastic and Wolverine in an MCU movie. Totally worth it.

This goes beyond comic books. This isn’t worth it.

Apparently talks ended, but I really don't want this to happen -- both for selfish reasons of not wanting Disney touching X-Men or Deadpool and bigger reasons of them monopolizing a large chunk of the industry.

This goes beyond comic books. This isn’t worth it.

I absolutely agree with you. I was being sarcastic. I think this is a horrible deal for the industry.

You don't see that one corporation controlling not just an enormous amount of movie real estate, but also television is bad? I know this is a superhero message board and the idea of getting the X-Men and FF into the MCU is ***** material, but not like this. This is not a good move for movie fans.

Most of Fox's television holdings seem to be exempt from this deal. That said, I tend to agree. That also said, I don't think it'll every actually happen. We may have a corporate friendly administration, but this deal would be a regulatory nightmare. Even the most corporate friendly administrations would be concerned about potential monopolistic elements. Hell, Disney and Fox are already concerned (thus the way this deal was being structured to limit TV properties) and it seemed to get no further than some preliminary negotiations. This would be a difficult deal to actually make happen.

Most of Fox's television holdings seem to be exempt from this deal. That said, I tend to agree. That also said, I don't think it'll every actually happen. We may have a corporate friendly administration, but this deal would be a regulatory nightmare. Even the most corporate friendly administrations would be concerned about potential monopolistic elements. Hell, Disney and Fox are already concerned (thus the way this deal was being structured to limit TV properties) and it seemed to get no further than some preliminary negotiations. This would be a difficult deal to actually make happen.

Thanks for your always appreciated insight Matt.

From what I'm reading talks have broken down and it's probably not moving forward anyway.

I can't believe that another huge step to media consolidation would be considered a good thing.

The House of Mouse sources say they brought up the need to split out the broadcast and print units, as those would trigger regulatory issues. Even the studio issue might be too much, as that takes us back to the days of three major US players, SonyUSStudios, Universal/Viacom, and House of Mouse.

But, in the end, to get something out of it, I'm willing to lay down my lucky 1945 nickel that the rights to the Marvel Characters, and SW' ep4 go over to the Mouse regardless out of this, unless the Murdochs get po'd.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stryderzer0
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"