Do People Still Like Secret Wars?

I had Cap, Doom, DD, Spidey (both) Iron Man, Zemo and Wolverine. I didn't know anybody with Doc Ock, Falcon or Hobby. Who the hell is the guy behind Logan anyway. It's gotta be a repainted variant.

Iron Man and Dr. Doom were my favorites. I must have had 5 figures for the Black Costume Spidey at one point. Too bad I didn't appreciate their worthy as a child because they all ended up busted. :(

Yeah I have no clue what that figure is..must be a repaint.

The great thing about those figures is they were the only show in town for marvel figures for quite some time.

^Aye, this is true, before the Secret Wars figures, all you had Marvel wise was the Mego figures from the 70s, and in the Uk, where i live, those were difficult to track down, most stores only stocked Spider-man. I only recall running into one shop that stocked a variety of Mego figures, and my family didn't have any dough to buy me any. I ended up getting some Mego Dc stuff, bat-mobile, bat-copter, batman, robin(for a friend's birthday), spider-man.

I could not believe it when they released that Secret Wars Wolverine figure, I bought that one and Iron-Man, still have them. the only shop I saw with the Sw figures only stocked a handful of them, like 5 at a time.
Later on when they released the Hobgoblin, black suit Spidey etc, I saw them in the shop, but was of the age where i was into computer games and felt i was too old for toys, so wish i had bought them now...
I damn sure bought that wolverine figure with the removable mask and pop out claws when i was 17 though, lol, no way was i missing out on that bad boy.

I still enjoy reading Secret Wars, it is still a blast to read. Too tired to comment further, lol.

Yeah, I remember the DC superpowers figures were better though.

As a Kid I really loved those, especially since they were heavy into some fringe characters like ParaDemons, Mantis, and my Favorite Firestorm.

I do recall the SW figures came in 2 packs, before the 2nd series.

There is so many good Marvel Toys now , man I would have killed for a 2 foot Galactus W/ silver surfer like they have now.

Anyone remember that "What if: Secret Wars: 25 years later"? Most people had paired off and had kids, Hulk had gone up a mountain to think how to get home, Spider-Man was just a skeleton kept alive by the symbiote... I don't remember what happened to Reed Richards though. Was he dead or did something else happen? I think Iron Man was dead though, because Professor X wore his armour.

Anyone remember that "What if: Secret Wars: 25 years later"? Most people had paired off and had kids, Hulk had gone up a mountain to think how to get home, Spider-Man was just a skeleton kept alive by the symbiote... I don't remember what happened to Reed Richards though. Was he dead or did something else happen? I think Iron Man was dead though, because Professor X wore his armour.

man, I'd love to read that, didn't know they did a 'stranded on battle world' What If?

From what you have said, the writing sounds a little wonky though, considering what was happening in the original series...

Hulk was losing his Banner intellect, and was reverting back to dumb angry Hulk by issue 12, so I don't know how he would be the chilled out scientist on the mountain.

Surprised that the symbiote would not have been more easily removed from Spider-man's body on battle world, after all, Reed Richards would have been around Spidey all the time, and as he said in the issue of ASM when he remoived the suit from him, he had suspected for some time it was alive. So he would have told Spidey that earlier, and been there to keep an eye on him, the tech would have been there for Reed to remove it earlier.

Also, as an aside...that was Jim Rhodes in the Iron-Man suit temporarily in SW remember, so the real Iron-Man was back on earth, maybe they wrote it in such a way that his inexperience in the field got him killed.

aye, a lot of the modern 'What If's were not that good, nowhere as good as the original vol.1 series.

The 'Spider-man vs Wolverine' What if? was crap, so was the Civil War one, and the stories and art in the issues of vol.2 I read were not as good. Back in the early days they had top writers and artists working on the WIf's, so the quality was better.

I remember the one issue of SW1 when Reed was repairing Rhodey's Iron Man armor and he asked Reed if he was surprised that there was a black man under the armor. Reed claimed "I never really thought about it...."

Whatever you say Reed.......:whatever:

I remember the one issue of SW1 when Reed was repairing Rhodey's Iron Man armor and he asked Reed if he was surprised that there was a black man under the armor. Reed claimed "I never really thought about it...."

Well, I can believe he wasn't 'surprised' per se, it being more along the lines of 'Ok, maybe when I was talking to you, I might've thought you were white in my makeshift imagining of who you really were under there, as most of the other heroes are white, so now I know you're black.',
So I don't think seeing a black man revealed under the armour would register as surprise, so much as him perhaps re-aligning his perceptions, so I believed Reed when he said that.
I actually did think about that one back in the day reading them, lol.

I mean, growing up I was mostly around caucasian people, so when I am on the net, if I end up talking to someone a lot, and let's say I only know thier age and gender, I can easily just think of them as a 26 yr old caucasian man/woman, cause that is where my imagination naturally goes, due to my environment. So, if they are revealed as another ethnicity, I wouldn't say I was surprised per se, just going through the process of my perceptions being re-aligned, unless of course, they deliberately led me to believe they were caucasian.

there were a couple of other interesting moments and lines in SW....when the Human Torch keeps going on about mistrusting mutants, Jim Rhodes says 'Thank God he isn't black, eh?' and THT replies 'Knock it off Shellhead, you know what I mean..'
Which was an interesting exchnage, showing how folk can have one type of prejudice, and not equate it with the other, despite them being the same kind of thing.

Also, when Wolverine and Cap are arguing, and Cap calls Magneto a terrorist, and Wolverine replies 'Terrorists...that's what the big army calls the little army.' Man, that line had a big impact on me when I was a kid, you watch the news with them calling such and such terrorist groups, and you don't stop to consider that they think of themselves as an official army, no different than the official one recognised by the powers that be.

Last edited:

I read it and, honestly, I thought it was pretty mediocre. There wasn't a hint of imagination in the new generation of heroes, and while they have some shocking things, like Peter being a skeleton under the symbiote and Professor X in the Iron Man armor, it's never explained why that happened nor does it matter. It was an all around waste of time.

"Nobody but a black man would walk around wearing that much gold."

:awesome:

Thankfully Rhodey's grown beyond the stupid "angry black man" character.

My biggest complaint about Secret Wars was the Lizard playing patty-cake... :oldrazz:

:yay:

Yeah I have no clue what that figure is..must be a repaint.

The great thing about those figures is they were the only show in town for marvel figures for quite some time.

It's a custom repaint of someone.

Here are the figures that were released

http://www.toymania.com/archives/secretwars/swfigs1.shtml

I remember those figures were what got me into Iron Man, I had five Iron Man figures, a couple of Cap figures, Doc Ock, Magneto, Doom and Kang. My bother, the Spidey fan, only had one because they were so hard to find and we never had a Wolverine.

My biggest complaint about Secret Wars was the Lizard playing patty-cake... :oldrazz:

:yay:

My biggest complaint was that Tony Stark wasn't in the series because of that f*** stick Denny O'Neil.

Last edited:
This thread is bringing back some memories. I might have to dig these comics out and give them another read.

I read it and, honestly, I thought it was pretty mediocre. There wasn't a hint of imagination in the new generation of heroes, and while they have some shocking things, like Peter being a skeleton under the symbiote and Professor X in the Iron Man armor, it's never explained why that happened nor does it matter. It was an all around waste of time.

Yes it was pretty mediocre and could've been so much better. The art wasn't that great either. The concept was cool though, but could've been excuted a lot better. It should've been a longer arc and shown what actually happened to the characters - how they died etc, how the heroes and villains called a ceasefire and decided to live together peacefully (and even have children together) and Spider-Man losing himself to the symbiote.

I thought you were talking about the main book, then I realized you were referring to the "what if?" story. I was about to kick some butt about the artwork comments....Mike Zeck is a GOD amongst all other artists!

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Holopaxume
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"