Was Marvel's Secret Wars (2015) their Crisis?

Milk Tray Guy

70s Man of Action
Reaction score
I don't read Marvel but I was reading about Secret Wars and I was intrigued to see it suggested on several sites/forums that Secret Wars is basically a Marvel Crisis on Infinite Earths. Is that actually what it is? I don't mean is it ripped off or anything, but did it perform a similar function for Marvel that CoIE did for DC, i.e. resetting/unifying things to try to make them simpler for creators and readers? If so, did it succeed?

Edit: I should have specified the 2015 Secret Wars. Title also edited.

Last edited:
Not at all, from what I remember.

I think the big deal about the Original Secret Wars was that it was the first time Marvel did a crossover of that magnitude. Just a gathering, though. Not a linewide reboot.

Not at all, from what I remember.

I think the big deal about the Original Secret Wars was that it was the first time Marvel did a crossover of that magnitude. Just a gathering, though. Not a linewide reboot.
Thanks for replying :up: Sorry, I should have specified the 2015 Secret Wars (OP and title edited accordingly).

Last edited:
Oh. No worries. That one beautiful art. Nick Fury gathered a handful of heroes in secret to stop the lady who took over Latveria from Dr Doom. She had crazy space weapons or something, a secret Fury let out, I think, and gathered a loyal crew in secret to cover his ass.

I'm going by memory, and that was a few years ago, so I might not be 100, but that's the jist of it. Gabriel Dell Otto does the art. It looks amazing and they all have covert op suits. It looks great! Worth a look.

But again, not Universe unifying or anything like that. I think the closest thing Marvel did to COIE, was just create the Ultimate Universe and reset everything. Clean slate to do whatever they want.

Oh. No worries. That one beautiful art. Nick Fury gathered a handful of heroes in secret to stop the lady who took over Latveria from Dr Doom. She had crazy space weapons or something, a secret Fury let out, I think, and gathered a loyal crew in secret to cover his ass.

I'm going by memory, and that was a few years ago, so I might not be 100, but that's the jist of it. Gabriel Dell Otto does the art. It looks amazing and they all have covert op suits. It looks great! Worth a look.

But again, not Universe unifying or anything like that. I think the closest thing Marvel did to COIE, was just create the Ultimate Universe and reset everything. Clean slate to do whatever they want.
Okay, thanks :up:

Spider-Jay was actually describing the 5 issue Secret War series by Bendis from the early 00s. The 2015 one you mention in the OP was by Hickman, and yes it was quite similar to Crisis in that it reduced the multiverse to a single universe. I haven't read much Marvel since then, however, so I'm not sure how well it's actually worked out. A few of the subsequent comics I've read in recent years seems to imply they have returned to a multiverse concept, though.

Spider-Jay was actually describing the 5 issue Secret War series by Bendis from the early 00s. The 2015 one you mention in the OP was by Hickman, and yes it was quite similar to Crisis in that it reduced the multiverse to a single universe. I haven't read much Marvel since then, however, so I'm not sure how well it's actually worked out. A few of the subsequent comics I've read in recent years seems to imply they have returned to a multiverse concept, though.
Ah, okay. Thanks for the info :up:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"