Endgame Do they have to die? (Cap, Thor, Iron Man)

Ironman is the most logical to die. He is the one who has had all these visions about Thanos and has built a personal rivarly with him since Avengers 1. Hes the one who has been obsessing over the Endgame scenario so it makes sense that to complete his arc, it would be his sacrafice to end it all. Plus Dr Strange sparing his life. And it would be the best afterall hes the only "normal" human out of the premier Avengers and for him to take down a extraterrestrial threat like Thanos would be satisfying and a call back to simpler times when he created an ironman suit from scraps whilst hostage in a cave.
I also feel Tony is the most logical contender even though I'm starting to come around to the idea that no one necessarily has to die. It honestly is a flip of a coin between Tony and Cap and isn't as one sided as some think it is.

Tony's not dying. Robert Donwey Jr. is done with the character when he says he's done.

My money's on Black Widow. Why? Because she's getting a standalone origin movie. This reminds me of how they killed Han Solo then gave the character a stand alone origin movie.

Not a bad sendoff, heroic death, then Scarlett gets a $15 million paycheck to make an origin movie and end her Black Widowing days on a good note.

Tony's not dying. Robert Donwey Jr. is done with the character when he says he's done.

My money's on Black Widow. Why? Because she's getting a standalone origin movie. This reminds me of how they killed Han Solo then gave the character a stand alone origin movie.

Not a bad sendoff, heroic death, then Scarlett gets a $15 million paycheck to make an origin movie and end her Black Widowing days on a good note.
Weirdly I just thought about that Black Widow option as well. Could easily have an emotional arc where she gives her life to help bring back the family of an important friend in Hawkeye. And since her movie can be set in the past there's no issue in her character going in style in Endgame.

In general I wonder how far they want to go with the deaths. I still think one of Captain America/Iron Man dies and one retires. Just not confident they want/need to kill both. Having these friends reunite and one sacrifice so the other can live feels like a nice route to take things. And I just don't think Thor dies. Too much room to do more with that character and someone has to be leading the people of Asgard.

Don't think they want to kill Hawkeye if his family gets brought back. And you can keep Hulk around as a CG character regardless of the actor so maybe he's a good option to keep alive

This movie should have some deaths. But I don't think they want to turn it into a bloodbath. Maybe Black Widow and one of Captain America/Iron Man. I would be cool with no one dying. I don't feel as if you need characters to die here for it to be great. But I feel as if some will pass on.

tony aint dyin, paltrow
No they don't. I don't care about stakes. I want all of them to live, but if one has to die, I vote Tony.
there's need to be consequences if they bring back the one who dusted...or its a epic fail for marvel

at this point, there's no need to have another avengers movie with the BIG6. its Over, for them...all off them has been used at their maximum capacity, Thanos will be their biggest fight & latest one, .

tony aint dyin, paltrow

there's need to be consequences if they bring back the one who dusted...or its a epic fail for marvel

at this point, there's no need to have another avengers movie with the BIG6. its Over, for them...all off them has been used at their maximum capacity, Thanos will be their biggest fight & latest one, .

There are decades worth of stories still not told on the big screen. Maybe a couple die but i doubt it will be permanent. Especially for cap or iron man. These are characters woth $billions. Let tony have cameos, kill steve but in 5-10 years bring him back.

That may be true that there's tons more material to work with using these characters, but the movies aren't the same medium as the comics. These actors can't go on forever in these roles, and many of the bigger characters seem to have run their main course to the point where the character themselves feel exhausted, story-wise. I think general audiences do want a sense of finality to some of these stories, and given the constant exasperation of reboots/remakes of recent properties I seriously doubt a recasted Tony Stark or Steve Rogers would sit well, even with a contrived alternate reality/universe explanation for it.

What if they all die? How else are you going to explain why none of them would show up again?

That may be true that there's tons more material to work with using these characters, but the movies aren't the same medium as the comics. These actors can't go on forever in these roles, and many of the bigger characters seem to have run their main course to the point where the character themselves feel exhausted, story-wise. I think general audiences do want a sense of finality to some of these stories, and given the constant exasperation of reboots/remakes of recent properties I seriously doubt a recasted Tony Stark or Steve Rogers would sit well, even with a contrived alternate reality/universe explanation for it.

After 5-10 years they could easily cast a new actor for steve or even bring chris back. Hulk not an issue. Send him to sakaar, few years time do ww hulk. Tony can have cameos. Hawkeye retire to be with his family. Natasha take over from fury or go with banner. Whatever. They don't have to die if they do they can be brought back.

I'm not saying anyone necessarily has to die, but couching that sentiment in "just bring them back later for big roles in new stories" doesn't sit right, especially when you bring up the prospect of recasting characters. For what it's worth, I think the MCU (film division, anyway) is approached with too much love by Feige and co. to see that sort of thing start happening. Plus they're already cultivating a new crop of A-list characters for a foreseeable future that can stand alone and apart from the current big names (and they can always sell Iron Man or Cap 'Muhrica merch and do other projects without them being active MCU figures; it's not like cultural icons become irrelevant simply because they're not active) so I think the financial future for the company is more than secure as long as the new content is decent.

I gotta imagine she's pocketing $20 million.

I could have imagined Black Widow "going out" (into space) with Banner (or Professor Hulk) but since the solo movie is in plans that's almost out of question (unless they do original movie with slight deaging). Unfortunately I can also imagine in this scenario both BW and Hulk dying in the Endgame as well (or at least one of them). "You are no longer a spy, Natasha"...

Thor "retiring" with his people is obvious choice to survive. Time-jump for Cap to reunite with Peggy - too risky to mess with the timeline, but hell... Killing Tony - too risky for the business. RDJ is great option for cameos in future...

At the end - I do not see (it is still MCU...) option than more than one (two at most) from the original six will die in the movie.

Actually kudos to Marvel and storymakers! Everybody is concerned about wellbeing of the characters but still it does not feel forced just to shock. If they however made it without deaths - kudos ten time bigger!

Now THIS would emotionally affect me, but Marvel wouldn't risk the controversy of killing the only OG female Avenger.

ut hell... Killing Tony - too risky for the business. RDJ is great option for cameos in future...

I don't think it's too risky at all. Two of their last 3 solo movies they've done both outgrossed Homecoming, even with the Tony appearance.

Iron Man is a big draw, but the franchise is far past the point of needing him as a crutch.

Not so sure however there is single point which may confirm you theory. There is generally (IMHO) some problem of new generation of Avengers that might not be enough good replacement of older team. Actually the only one with clear potential to replace "originals" is DS (i.e. Stark is getting replaceable). SM seem to be solid but the rest of the team... BP, AM, Wasp or Capitan Marvel are not in the their league yet...

Now THIS would emotionally affect me, but Marvel wouldn't risk the controversy of killing the only OG female Avenger.
It's not just the controversy, it does send a bad subtextual message about the importance of male vs female character if Widow is the only death. I would be okay with Widow dying heroically (ie. a fitting end to her search for redemption), but only if at least one of the male big three dies as well.

Actually the only one with clear potential to replace "originals" is DS (i.e. Stark is getting replaceable). SM seem to be solid but the rest of the team... BP, AM, Wasp or Capitan Marvel are not in the their league yet...

BP and CM just made over a billion dollars each at the box office. The former currently has the highest grossing solo movie in the entire MCU. If anything, Strange is more of the odd man out in the group, and even he did respectable numbers of over 600 million.

I also declare if it's between Cap getting sent back in time to live with Peggy over death...then I vote death.

BP and CM just made over a billion dollars each at the box office. The former currently has the highest grossing solo movie in the entire MCU. If anything, Strange is more of the odd man out in the group, and even he did respectable numbers of over 600 million.

The money earned not necessarily indicate the potential since it is difficult to predict dynamic of new Avengers team. While I see DS pretty easily as kind of IM replacement, I have problem with putting in both BP and CM. Yes, the movies earned a lot but I see it more as effect being "prequels" to IW and TEG respectively. They benefitted also from being "first" - black and female solo hero movies. While I genuinely like AM, Wasp, SM and DS, I struggle with BP (he was much better in CW than in its own solo movie!) and frankly I do not like CM. The latter seem to me much worse female hero than BW and Wasp... I hope she will be better in TEG...

The money earned not necessarily indicate the potential

It's the most objective measurement available at present.

[While I genuinely like AM, Wasp, SM and DS, I struggle with BP (he was much better in CW than in its own solo movie!) and frankly I do not like CM.

That's fine. But you not liking them personally doesn't change that their movies were massive earners and outdid quite a few of the original Avengers. So the idea that they aren't in the "big leagues" or whatever just because you don't like them is not accurate.

I just a strong feeling that all three will live. Can't see Marvel/Disney taking a risk by killing one of their main popular characters.

There's more of their stuff to buy, too... I tend not to buy stuff from killed characters, so future profits are involved (thought that shouldn't affect story, it does.)

It's the most objective measurement available at present.

That's fine. But you not liking them personally doesn't change that their movies were massive earners and outdid quite a few of the original Avengers. So the idea that they aren't in the "big leagues" or whatever just because you don't like them is not accurate.

The Phase 4 will answer whether they can hold the story on their own. Right now - they benefit from the wave created by "old" team.

Keep in mind that any deaths that occur are only as permanent as the writers need them to be. If you can bring back 50% of the universe's population, you can certainly write yourself a way to bring back anyone you want.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"