• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Do You Have Faith In James Gunn’s New DCU?

I just hope to god he doesn't stick any cringey music in Superman Legacy. I love the retro tunes in Guardians, but some of the songs in The Suicide Squad were so painful to sit through IMO.

Zero faith. Gunn has one style, we saw that with GOTG/TSS. Won’t work for a whole universe. WB keeps trying to look for a solution, and they just can’t realize that they already had the perfect answer in front of them the first time with Zack Snyder.

The only person Jameson is laughing at is you.

Please explain the chain of box office failures that have followed since Snyder was fired during his family tragedy.

WB/DC haven’t seen good money since the Snyder Era. It’s just too bad their petty egos and second guessing got in the way of a great DC universe.

James Gunn's style "won't work for an entire universe" but apparently Zack Snyder's grim dark yet still video gamey aesthetic is right for the whole universe?

If Zack Snyder was "the solution" then why did BvS under-perform?

"Hasn't seen good money since the Snyder Era" Um... Aquaman outgrossed BvS and Justice League and that came out after Snyder was long gone.

Perhaps, however we do have to be concerned that he could be another wise cracking wit.. or dimwit rather as Gunn does seem to like his jokey interactions & characters.. although not as much as Taika Waititi thank goodness.

I don't want a super ultra serious version of the character, but at the same time I don't really want it a comedy either. There's a grey area there & that's where I want the tone of the character & film to be.

We already got the ultra serious Superman with MOS and even Superman Returns to a lesser extent. Neither worked.

We need a FUN Superman movie. A four quadrant crowd pleaser, that'll have the audiences wanting to come back for more.

Mark Waid may be a top 5 writer of Superman all time. Recently in an interview he was asked about his thoughts about James Gunn’s Superman movie and what advice he had. I loved his answer, he said “well right now the bar is so low, I’d say just have Superman not kill anyone and you will win back the trust of a lot of the audience right there.”

For all of the talk of Superman being boring, he remains one of the most complex and fascinating characters in literature. He headlines multiple titles, 2 of which have been published non stop for over 80 years. He’s a great character with a lot of depth to plumb. Just respect the character and don’t be ashamed of who he is. Give us who he has been on the page for 80 years. It’s just that simple. (See Superman and Lois as exhibit A)

^ This. I have no desire to see Superman "modernised" (Superman Returns) or "deconstructed" (Man of Steel). I just want Superman.

Superman Returns was the furthest thing away from modernisation of the character, it tried to latch onto a, then, 30 year old take of the character living in the past. If anything I'd call Man of Steel an attempted modernisation of the character.

Superman Returns was the furthest thing away from modernisation of the character, it tried to latch onto a, then, 30 year old take of the character living in the past. If anything I'd call Man of Steel an attempted modernisation of the character.

Aesthetically, yes. But in terms of characterisation, no. It was pure 2000's schlock drama and brooding.

Reactions: B
I do think that DC Studios , ironically , has a great hand in terms of potential for the next several years .

Gunn will be starting with a mostly , a clean slate, and fresh new iterations, of their library of characters.

Unlike Marvel Studios, they won't be at the point where they're bogged down in adjusting phases, films, and storylines , re-organizing projects, rewriting projects, pushing projects back, removing people, shaking up the whole structure etc.

Since their basically at the beginning, the road ahead for them is much clearer , so Gunn has that going for him.

As always, the films and tv shows must be good and must resonate with The GA.

But Gunn is at a pretty good starting point, all things considered.

I hope they will stay away from any current trends or today's modern music in legacy.
Flavors change, and in 5/10 years people will watch it and say wtf were they thinking.

Mark Waid may be a top 5 writer of Superman all time. Recently in an interview he was asked about his thoughts about James Gunn’s Superman movie and what advice he had. I loved his answer, he said “well right now the bar is so low, I’d say just have Superman not kill anyone and you will win back the trust of a lot of the audience right there.”

For all of the talk of Superman being boring, he remains one of the most complex and fascinating characters in literature. He headlines multiple titles, 2 of which have been published non stop for over 80 years. He’s a great character with a lot of depth to plumb. Just respect the character and don’t be ashamed of who he is. Give us who he has been on the page for 80 years. It’s just that simple. (See Superman and Lois as exhibit A)
I agree. The problem seems to have been that these past directors have came onboard and were arrogant enough to believe that their ideas to re-imagine superman would work.

Singer.( super dead beat dad and superstalker )
The failed Burton superman film.
The failed McG film.
Snyder.

Every single one pretty much ignored the entire past history of Superman and his character.

I do until he gives me reason not to.
I'm not gonna blindly follow him and lap up everything like a hungry dog and be grateful.
If something sucks, then it sucks.

I absolutely believe in the new DCU. Superman is my most anticipated CBM outside of Fantastic Four. I like that there is a plan and a thought out structure in place, and things may change or get cancelled or rearranged. But you can see in Gunns work, and in the talent that we know are involved with the new DCU that these people really are passionate about these characters. I think that is what has really been missing all these years.

When I hear Gunn talk about Superman I feel the childlike excitement in his statements, the same way I could feel that same energy in Matt Reeves when he talked about Batman. I think we're finally in for the DCU we deserve.

I believe in his Superman film. I have faith the rest of his DC world will be more consistent than what we had, but I don't want to assume too much so early. But I believe Superman Legacy will be the best Superman flick since Superman II.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"