• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

Do You Have Faith In James Gunn’s New DCU?

I'm gonna wait and see some casting decisions first. That will tell alot.
And the first reveal of the suit.

Get those two right and it's on.
If it's mixed reactions then uh oh.

Obviously, you aren't gonna please everyone, some would complain no matter what, but if the majority have positive reactions, we may get something truly special.

I'm gonna wait and see some casting decisions first. That will tell alot.
And the first reveal of the suit.

Get those two right and it's on.
If it's mixed reactions then uh oh.

Obviously, you aren't gonna please everyone, some would complain no matter what, but if the majority have positive reactions, we may get something truly special.
Casting and suit reveal are 2 major early indications. After that need to get some idea of where Gunn is taking this Superman and how he will write him.

I’m surprised at some of the early reviews for Guardians 3. The negative reviews are a bit worrisome.

I'm willing to see where it all goes and see if his vision provides better outings than what the DCEU had to offer for the most part. He seems like he has some good ideas and a solid foundation, but we won't know for sure until we see it all officially in action.

Our first indicators will be when we start to get major casting news.

It'd be nice to finally have a string of DC movies that are cohesive and feel connected in an organic way. On top of that I want it done in a way that feels 100% like DC and not like the MCU with characters trying to tell jokes every five seconds.

I love the MCU but I am beyond sick and tired of the forced humor & how its negatively affected other superhero movies and films in general.

So, with that said, if the DC going forward is more like Matt Reeves Batman and nothing like Joss Whedon's Justice League, I'll be ecstatic and supportive.

I liked some of the ideas Zack Snyder presented, and I'd be lying if I said he didn't portray Darkseid as the terrifying, overpowered force that he is. Now I want more of that as well as having characters like Trigon take center stage.

In fact, I'd be more for the first big bad being built up to being Trigon first and then Darkseid. That'd be ideal for me.

I'm willing to see where it all goes and see if his vision provides better outings than what the DCEU had to offer for the most part. He seems like he has some good ideas and a solid foundation, but we won't know for sure until we see it all officially in action.

It'd be nice to finally have a string of DC movies that are cohesive and feel connected in an organic way. On top of that I want it done in a way that feels 100% like DC and not like the MCU with characters trying to tell jokes every five seconds.
This, so much.

So, with that said, if the DC going forward is more like Matt Reeves Batman and nothing like Joss Whedon's Justice League, I'll be ecstatic and supportive.
Definitely :up:

I liked what Gunn did with Guardians, Peacemaker, and The Suicide Squad so I am quite optimistic in what he will bring to DC

I do have faith and the DCU can truly be an equal to the MCU

I absolutely have faith. Importantly, Gunn seems to understand the characters (and the fact that they are not all the same nor do they require the same tone) and seems to want to really do them right.

Especially Superman. It will be great to see a Superman I recognize in a movie again.

I have faith in Gunn himself. I DON’T have faith in WB. By that, I mean that if Gunn’s Superman movie comes out and is really good but doesn’t make a billion, then Zaslav and other executives will start the dreaded course correction. I also think Safran is a sniveling little schmuck who will say and do whatever Zaslav tells him. So this could really go either way.

I have faith in Gunn himself. I DON’T have faith in WB. By that, I mean that if Gunn’s Superman movie comes out and is really good but doesn’t make a billion, then Zaslav and other executives will start the dreaded course correction. I also think Safran is a sniveling little schmuck who will say and do whatever Zaslav tells him. So this could really go either way.

You know....this is spot on. I can go either way on Gunn's writing and directing, but he seems to at least have the right amount of passion to be co-leading DC Studios.

The problem is that, when it comes to DC, Warner Bros. tends to take one step forward and two steps back. Not all of the time, but there are more stories that come out than not about DC projects being meddled with, cancelled before they see the light of day or right when they premiere, in the case of Swamp Thing. Only rarely do they get a mega hit well received on all sides like a Dark Knight or Joker, and even well-received, financially successful films like Wonder Woman don't go without their controversies.

So there's no doubt that Gunn's heart might be in the right place. While DC Studios might be its own thing, you can't underestimate Warner Bros.' ability to trip over itself because they don't know how to just stay the course when there's some semblance of a plan.

You know....this is spot on. I can go either way on Gunn's writing and directing, but he seems to at least have the right amount of passion to be co-leading DC Studios.

The problem is that, when it comes to DC, Warner Bros. tends to take one step forward and two steps back. Not all of the time, but there are more stories that come out than not about DC projects being meddled with, cancelled before they see the light of day or right when they premiere, in the case of Swamp Thing. Only rarely do they get a mega hit well received on all sides like a Dark Knight or Joker, and even well-received, financially successful films like Wonder Woman don't go without their controversies.

So there's no doubt that Gunn's heart might be in the right place. While DC Studios might be its own thing, you can't underestimate Warner Bros.' ability to trip over itself because they don't know how to just stay the course when there's some semblance of a plan.

Yep. This has always been their problem. And it doesn’t even matter that there is a new CEO at the top now; WB has changed hands so many times over the years and the constant studio meddling has continued no matter who is in charge. And it doesn’t help that Zaslav is probably the worst person to lead the company yet.

If you think back to all their attempts at building a cinematic universe, you can trace this kind of behavior back to at least the Green Lantern movie, where WB supposedly hired Ryan Reynolds behind the director’s back and then had multiple people doing rewrites of the script. It’s no wonder the film turned out like crap. Then you have the DCEU, where they first put things in Snyder’s hands (mistake), but then only realized their mistake after letting him film two more movies and then started making changes.

It’s just been this constant course “correction” that has resulted in one fiasco after another. So while I love James Gunn and I think he has a lot of passion and creativity, I’m still not confident that it will work out in the end. I could even see a scenario where they slash his budget for these projects if The Flash bombs/underperforms, despite Gunn not actually having anything to do with that movie.

I love the MCU but I am beyond sick and tired of the forced humor & how its negatively affected other superhero movies and films in general.

I liked some of the ideas Zack Snyder presented, and I'd be lying if I said he didn't portray Darkseid as the terrifying, overpowered force that he is. Now I want more of that as well as having characters like Trigon take center stage.

In fact, I'd be more for the first big bad being built up to being Trigon first and then Darkseid. That'd be ideal for me.
Casting doesn't always tell the tale, at least not directly.
Remember how people FREAKED OUT when Nolan Cast Heath Ledger as The Joker?

I will wholly admit to not being sold when Anne Hathaway was first cast as Selina Kyle. It didn't make me rage, but I just didn't see it! It was more of a "Yeah, she's a great actress, but she's not who I would've picked."

It wasn't until Hathaway dropped that first "Oops" in Rises that all the doubt went away for me.

oops-sorry.gif

Same as the HUGE backlash when Daniel Craig was announced as Bond. And, of course, when Keaton was first cast as Batman.

Hell, there was even some backlash when RDJ was cast as Iron Man. People don’t really think about it now but there were plenty of doubters (even some at Marvel)!

They could've easily canned The Batman sequels and spinoffs since Batman didn't hit a $B, but didn't. Zaslav also just recently said Gunn and Safran would announce more info at CinemaCon and they didn't, so this sniveling little shmuck thing is kinda baseless as well. I'm not saying he or WB are beacons of anything good, but this mindset before anything even releases is so weird to me.

They could've easily canned The Batman sequels and spinoffs since Batman didn't hit a $B, but didn't. Zaslav also just recently said Gunn and Safran would announce more info at CinemaCon and they didn't, so this sniveling little shmuck thing is kinda baseless as well. I'm not saying he or WB are beacons of anything good, but this mindset before anything even releases is so weird to me.

It’s not baseless when you consider his comments that Batgirl was unreleasable. Maybe that is true, but IMO it really said to me that he’s there to kiss Zaslav’s ring and will say anything that insulates him from criticism. Again, I could be wrong, but it was a really bad look from Safran.

Last edited:

True. Casting may not tell the tale, but it does offer some insight into the direction the film may going. It doesn't mean anything is set in stone in regards to being great or even decent, it just gives us an idea of what we can expect & helps to create a more nuanced perspective of the behind the scenes environment.

I do remember the whole Heath Ledger debacle, though admittedly I was in the middle of it in the sense that I wasn't familiar enough with him at the time to be excited or vehemently against it. And, as we all know, once those first few pics, teasers, etc. dropped, we know it was something special.

Will that be the case here with any of the upcoming projects. Only time can tell, but I certainly hope so because all I want is a good DC Universe that's well established & handled more properly.

There is still some part of me that wishes they would've kept Cavill as Superman. Dude deserved so much better in regards to being able to truly cement himself in the role and have more proper showings of just how capable he was in the role. I just hope whomever they cast next has the same passion & respect for the character that Cavill did.

Basically, I'm cautiously optimistic about it all. lol

Last edited:
James Gunn is a good filmmaker! But I don't think he is a good CEO. I think. He pissed off people by booting Henry as Superman. He caused Flash and Shazam 2 to flop with his reboot nonsense Warner Brothers tends to be cutthroat to Superman directors Bryan Singer and Zack Snyder when they disagree with their ideas. Tim Burton said he got treated like kryptonite working on Superman Lives now. Superman's Legacy could be a great film. But would anyone show up? People say his Suicide Squad film was on HBO MAX in 2021, but so was Dune, and so was Godzilla vs. Kong. Both did better than James Gunn's DC film. His Marvel work means nothing to dc. So let us toss out his Guardian trilogy. Peacemaker and The Suicide Squad are what matters. It's like in sports. I don't care how many rings you won win with my team.

As I’ve said elsewhere…Gunn has never run anything. Is he going to agree to take angry calls from Zaslav at 6am every morning? Is he going to agree to sit in a room for hours reviewing another director’s dailies? How will he handle disagreements with the talent who see him more as a peer than a boss? Are quality director’s going to agree to work with an “executive” with zero experience in pushing multiple giant tent poles through a meat grinder of a system? I have my doubts.

Mike De Luca, who has great taste, is a hardcore comics fan and has excellent relationships with talent would’ve been a better choice, imo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"