Do you still consider the TV shows canon?

Web-Head

Oh boy yeah
Reaction score
Shows like Agents of Shield, Runaways, the Defenders, etc...

The only show I believe to be canon is Agent Carter. Feige was a producer on the show and Jarvis had a cameo in Endgame. Not to mention Markus & McFeely were the creators of the show.

Beyond Agent Carter- and even then maybe just the first season- no. They can say they're canon in their heads and Jeph Loeb can say "It's all connected" all he wants, but as far as canon to the overall MCU with the film side of things...absolutely not. Iron Man may exist in the same world as Luke Cage, Cloak and Dagger, and so on, but those characters aren't even a blip on the greater MCU radar.

Jarvis at least showed up in Endgame with James D'Arcy reprising his role. But then, if you never watched Agent Carter, that wouldn't really matter. And Coulson's role in Captain Marvel might as well have been a cameo or given to someone else since he didn't add anything to the plot. So I wouldn't consider them that, and I'm going to guess that the head honchos behind the MCU don't either until all of these characters are eventually recast with new actors in the MCU-proper.

Sure.

Maybe there'll be a retcon eventually that changes the MCU canon (like the Star Wars expanded universe) but it hasn't happened yet.

Marvel's said they're canon and if you watch them they're full of references to the wider MCU and share actors with the MCU films.

I don't think they're ever going to make an MCU film where you need to have seen the shows to understand what's going on but that's no different to all the comic storylines that don't interact. You don't need to read Frank Miller's Daredevil run to understand the Infinity Gauntlet comic but they're both still set in the 616 universe.

Last edited:
I consider them canon until they are specifically contradicted

So Agents of SHIELD the past 2 seasons or so seems to be out of continuity, but all the rest of the shows I choose to believe are just smaller stories/events that haven't come to the attention of the larger MCU players. Sometimes it strains credulity a bit, like this past season of Runaways and the fact that Dr Strange wouldn't have taken some interest in what was going on, but otherwise I don't find the shows contradictory to the movies

I would count Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. until they hit time travel and missed their guess on Infinity War. Then with divergent timelines due to the stone heist and their monolith based time travel lets see how the final season plays out. A bit above how the Gifted played with the X-Men movies

Nothing big from NetFlix Defenders shows stick out as not to count them along with Cloak and Dagger. The Inhumans doesn't even play nice with the AoS In(Nu)humans. I haven't seen enough of Runaways to have an opinion on that.

If Disney + or future movies ever take time to reboot a TV character okay but right now I would consider TV above fan fiction and more in the licensed novels of Star Trek and Star Wars, canon until contardicted by new broadcast content.

I think later seasons of AoS could potentially be no-prized to be in a divergent timeline similar to the upcoming Loki. Since they time traveled with the monolith it's plausible that got into a timeline where Thanos failed. Since they traveled physically and remained in another timeline without going back to the original they might now be on another timeline. This was both 1. Before Strange looked at possible futures and 2. Probably wouldn't be considered by him anyway as it wouldn't change the present in the same way that going back to kill baby Thanos wouldn't.

I consider them canon until they are specifically contradicted

So Agents of SHIELD the past 2 seasons or so seems to be out of continuity, but all the rest of the shows I choose to believe are just smaller stories/events that haven't come to the attention of the larger MCU players. Sometimes it strains credulity a bit, like this past season of Runaways and the fact that Dr Strange wouldn't have taken some interest in what was going on, but otherwise I don't find the shows contradictory to the movies

Same

I was a loyal "its all connected" fan until AoS was not affected by the snap. Now, I'm fine with saying the entire season is a What if? tale. As far as the other shoes...I don't know...same thing. I would love it if The Punisher and Daredevil remained as part of the MCU...but does that mean that Luke Cage and Iron Fist have to be as well? Oof, no thanks.

Shows like Agents of Shield, Runaways, the Defenders, etc...

The only show I believe to be canon is Agent Carter. Feige was a producer on the show and Jarvis had a cameo in Endgame. Not to mention Markus & McFeely were the creators of the show.

I personally consider them to be canon within the MCU. Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. was specifically made to be a part of the MCU, including the characters of Agent Carter and Nick Fury (both being played by the same actors from the MCU).

The Netflix series are a little more ambiguous. However they had mentioned the alien invasion of New York in several episodes of Daredevil and Jessica Jones. Thus I personally believe that all of the Netflix series are also canon in the MCU.

The lack of the TV characters in the movies never bothered me or made me think it's not the same universe. Characters are always missing in make crossovers, but that doesn't mean they're not in that world. Some guys are just off doing something completely unrelated, and that's not just okay. That's realistic.

The lack of the TV characters in the movies never bothered me or made me think it's not the same universe. Characters are always missing in make crossovers, but that doesn't mean they're not in that world. Some guys are just off doing something completely unrelated, and that's not just okay. That's realistic.

The Defenders, Agents of Shield, Runaways, and Cloak & Dagger all had more pressing matters than fighting Thanos and his army on the ruins of the Avengers compound?

The Defenders, Agents of Shield, Runaways, and Cloak & Dagger all had more pressing matters than fighting Thanos and his army on the ruins of the Avengers compound?

How would they have gotten there? Nothing in the story indicates the Doctor Strange is aware of them. Which once again, doesn't bother me. I have not met or am aware of everybody on this planet either.

Upstate New York takes some time to get to. You ever been in New York traffic?

How would they have gotten there? Nothing in the story indicates the Doctor Strange is aware of them. Which once again, doesn't bother me. I have not met or am aware of everybody on this planet either.

Upstate New York takes some time to get to. You ever been in New York traffic?

There was no indication that either Wong or Strange were aware of Hope. Or Howard the Duck. But they both answered the bell.

Luke Cage was on frikkin' ESPN. If he or any of his super powered chums existed in that universe they would have been there.

There was no indication that either Wong or Strange were aware of Hope. Or Howard the Duck. But they both answered the bell.

Luke Cage was on frikkin' ESPN. If he or any of his super powered chums existed in that universe they would have been there.

Being on ESPN doesn't mean superhero. As for the others, Howard knew the Guardians and Hope knew Ant-Man. Both of whom were there. Again, I don't see this as any kind of whole. The universe is a big place. It's not a crime that done circles don't crossover. I don't need every superhero to be an Avenger.

Nah. It doesn’t make sense . They should have some knowledge of other heroes like daredevil and Luke cage. They don’t need to be avengers but this was a battle for earth and they didn’t show up or make a presence.

I’d imagine Atleast some of the defenders would of tried to contact the avengers after the snap and help out.

just doesn’t feel like the same universe anymore. Yes they referenced and alien attack but that could be any alien attack and any tony stark just not the mcu version. Disney plus imo will be the real tv series that ties into the mcu. Everything else won’t matter anymore

Define help out after the snap? Cause after the snap, the Avengers themselves basically quit. Your argument makes no sense.

They could've done with the likes of Nico Minoru, Karolina and Molly, or Luke Cage, Quake, Ghost Rider, Cloak and Dagger in the big battle. They all had powers that would've helped.

But Quake and the AOS were clearly occupying some other universe and didn't even experience the snap.

Strange and Wong might not be aware of everyone, but surely they should've detected some activity when Nico used her magic.

Wasn't there a time jump of 3 years at the end of Runaways after defeating Morgan Le Fay where everyone moved on with their lives but Chase wanted to go back in time? That three years later didn't look at all like it was set in a post snap world. Everyone was going about their business normally and didn't seem to be experiencing any economic downturn or PTSD. So I don't think Runaways were set in the same universe either.

If one were to ask this question to Feige I suspect he wouldn’t give a straight answer, and word it in a ambiguous way. He wouldn’t say definitively one way or another at this point.

Last edited:
If one were ask this question to Feige I suspect he wouldn’t give a straight answer, and word it in a ambiguous way. He wouldn’t say definitively one way or another at this point.

He wouldn't say anything, sure. He'd just let any future shows or casting choices speak for themselves, like if we get a new Luke Cage, Iron Fist, DD etc.

Define help out after the snap? Cause after the snap, the Avengers themselves basically quit. Your argument makes no sense.

sure it does . Maybe you did t understand it. When thanos snapped, daredevil, agents of shield or any of the Netflix characters could of come to the avengers for help or lend a hand. Black widow was keeping reports in from all over. Not one tv show character in sight. They didn’t even quit they were looking for a solution to fix the problem. Tony quit .
Antman wasn’t an avenger and he sought out the avengers. This was a global problem. And no Netflix characters chimed in? Yea def a pocket universe.

make sense now?

Ant-Man had a history with the Avengers. No one else TV side outside of Coulson did. So an argument could be made for them, but there is also a possibility many of them were snapped. We don't know. So again, I think the argument is total BS.

SHIELD can track anyone, but can't track a guy with more Youtube hits than the Hulk showing up on a college campus?? Heck, we're talking about a time period where anyone with powers has to register...and yet...no one cares that they aren't registered.

These shows aren't in the MCU. They could blow up half the world and the movies wouldn't notice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"