Will the Marvel films ever sever ties completely with the TV shows?

You could do Abomination, but he wouldn't look great and would be in it for like, 5 minutes at most

I doubt they'd be allowed to use him regardless

I hope they don't end the tv series.
At this point they really have no clue what's going on with GotG on the Shield shows nor did they on Agent Carter.
I still think the tv shows are a great back story vehicle showing what else happens during the MCU timelines

I disagree,because i seen all except most of daredevil season 2 and i plan to watch it later.Aos quality is at least on par with the netflix shows to me and audiences and critics agree.
Most folks by the way believe the early 5 OR 6 episodes of jessica jones were the best ones and the last episodes.

It's clear that the quality of season 3 of aos has gotten better then the first episode of season 3 of agents of shield.
Last week's episode i have seen and it was better then the first episode of season 3 of aos for a example.

The quality of the episodes for aos for season 1 and 2 became better overtime as well,just like season 3.

So the ratings for season 1 and 2 for aos should have gotten higher scores. Season 3 should have a higher average critic score.

Season 3 rt score is already at 100%,so they got that right.
The point is aos has gotten better and better each season and it's more exciting to me then daredevil.

I realize tastes differ,heck there are some folks who think superman 1 was bad or not as good as man of steel.Whatever,i really like them both however and to me both were really good.

Interesting when comes to man of steel and the first superman movie,the first superman movie has a stronger story then man of steel,but i enjoy man of steel more.

AoS's RT metre is based on one episode with only 13 reviews; Daredevil S2 based on 31 and 7 episodes. Totally unfair comparison; totally different review expectation too.

DD S2 also has a higher audience score, so audiences clearly don't 'agree'

I highly doubt Season 3 of AOS is more highly regarded than Season 2 of Daredevil. That's a joke.

And I've watched AOS since the beginning. It has never been that interesting all this time, and particularly not in Season 3 with all the Inhumans. There was also a huge lag in the middle of the season with Mack and his brother, or the episode where Bobbi and Hunter left.

Would the films want to acknowledge AOS ultimately? Or just let them operate in their own little corner, as long as they're not harming anyone?

I hope they don't end the tv series.
At this point they really have no clue what's going on with GotG on the Shield shows nor did they on Agent Carter.
I still think the tv shows are a great back story vehicle showing what else happens during the MCU timelines

Exactly.

All the flak that people give the Marvel tv shows (not counting Netflix), I feel like they're not even watching and just criticizing out of momentum.

Not only do they serve a world-building purpose for the overall MCU, these are actually extremely well written shows. Especially when you compare them to other shows of the genre that are currently considered "favorites" and whose dialogue and overall writing is downright laughable.

The ABC shows have long complex character arcs, yes, and that might not be everyone's cup of tea. Some viewers might prefer brief storylines that give them a quick payoff, but that doesn't make the alternative bad.

I really hope we continue getting more seasons of AoS and possibly even one more of Agent Carter.
If we don't, it will be a terrible loss.

Please do sever those ties.
What the movies can't do due to the issue of film rights,
the shows can given Disney pretty much bought up all the tv rights (there is no contractual separation between the animated and live-action).
The only thing holding them back, being forced to not even bring up a fictional newspaper co, is the shared universe.
Heck, if they want to use X-Men characters they have every right to because that lawsuit back in the early 2000s for that ripoff X-Men show even limited itself to "feature" productions.

What the movies can't do due to the issue of film rights,
the shows can given Disney pretty much bought up all the tv rights (there is no contractual separation between the animated and live-action).
The only thing holding them back, being forced to not even bring up a fictional newspaper co, is the shared universe.
Heck, if they want to use X-Men characters they have every right to because that lawsuit back in the early 2000s for that ripoff X-Men show even limited itself to "feature" productions.

The 1993 agreement between Marvel and FOX included a "lock-out" provision through which Marvel could not feature FOX controlled characters in live action TV production without approval from the film licensee. In any case, the question is moot. Marvel signed over at least partial live action X-Men family character rights this fall and are working with FOX on the TV shows "Legion" and "Hellfire".

What's the proviso on Spider-man, Hulk, and F4 characters on tv?

The 1993 agreement between Marvel and FOX included a "lock-out" provision through which Marvel could not feature FOX controlled characters in live action TV production without approval from the film licensee.
link to the 1993 agreement?

Last edited:
Exactly.

All the flak that people give the Marvel tv shows (not counting Netflix), I feel like they're not even watching and just criticizing out of momentum.

Not only do they serve a world-building purpose for the overall MCU, these are actually extremely well written shows. Especially when you compare them to other shows of the genre that are currently considered "favorites" and whose dialogue and overall writing is downright laughable.

The ABC shows have long complex character arcs, yes, and that might not be everyone's cup of tea. Some viewers might prefer brief storylines that give them a quick payoff, but that doesn't make the alternative bad.

I really hope we continue getting more seasons of AoS and possibly even one more of Agent Carter.
If we don't, it will be a terrible loss.
Well I would LOVE to see more of Fury or even Clint Barton at this point. There needs to be more than the main cast on on the shows for it to remain alittle more than your fill-in tv show for the films or it's going to feel like a HUGE commercial or tv spot

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.
Season1
86% (43 reviews)
Season2
94% (17 reviews)
Season 3
100% (12 reviews)

I AGREE.

To me aos is on par with he netflix stuff and one of the best things to happen for the mcu.
Agent carter is really good too.
The shows, mcu netflix and mcu normal tv have stronger character development then the mcu movies too.
Marvel Movies Referencing TV Shows ‘Inevitable’ Says Kevin Feige
Knowing that, the TV characters and stories aren’t – or at least,
haven’t been to date – in their minds when planning ahead, but things
are beginning to change thanks to the critical success of Daredevil.
We can argue that Marvel TV was better than the Phase 2 films.
With Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.’s season 3 premiere earning much praise last
night, and continuing to improve in quality and in its relevance in
the MCU, there’s still a chance some of these characters would one day
make an appearance in the movies even if it’s a minimal cameo.
You could do Abomination, but he wouldn't look great and would be in it for like, 5 minutes at most

I doubt they'd be allowed to use him regardless

I think it could be great or great enough.
Look what the dc tv shows did with king shark on the flash and white martian and martian manhunter on supergirl.
images

images
images

Last edited:
Well I would LOVE to see more of Fury or even Clint Barton at this point. There needs to be more than the main cast on on the shows for it to remain alittle more than your fill-in tv show for the films or it's going to feel like a HUGE commercial or tv spot

Clint on Most Wanted would be a treat.
Can you imagine Hunter's reaction to him being around? heheh

Clint on Most Wanted would be a treat.
Can you imagine Hunter's reaction to him being around? heheh
EXACTLY, I think more of the actors in the minor roles from the Movies need to make more tv show appearances as well. Not just Hill, but the one guy at the computers in both Winter Soldier and on the Helicarrier in AoU would make a great add too

What's the proviso on Spider-man, Hulk, and F4 characters on tv?

link to the 1993 agreement?

It's not online, but was referenced in documents filed during the "Mutant X" lawsuit brought by FOX. Here's the key part:

The Agreement reserved all television rights to Marvel, subject to a proviso, critical to Fox's pending contract claim, that Marvel would not “produce, distribute or exploit or authorize the production, distribution or exploitation of any live-action motion picture” without Fox's consent (the “Freeze”).

http://caselaw.findlaw.com/us-2nd-circuit/1136021.html

It's not online, but was referenced in documents filed during the "Mutant X" lawsuit brought by FOX. Here's the key part:

The Agreement reserved all television rights to Marvel, subject to a proviso, critical to Fox's pending contract claim, that Marvel would not “produce, distribute or exploit or authorize the production, distribution or exploitation of any live-action motion picture” without Fox's consent (the “Freeze”).

http://caselaw.findlaw.com/us-2nd-circuit/1136021.html

They got it in for "exploitation", which they should have done even more to fight back.
They were not making nor distributing a tv movie "motion picture" of the X-Men, which would immediately shut them down.

So, now what about the rest of the characters still licensed? Is the shared universe holding them back from being on tv?

Last edited:
So, now what about the rest of the characters still licensed? Is the shared universe holding them back from being on tv?

The shared universe isn't holding anything back in the same way that it didn't prevent Big Hero 6 from being made on the animated film division of Disney.
All the shared universe does, in TV as well as the films, is add to world-building.

The shared universe isn't holding anything back in the same way that it didn't prevent Big Hero 6 from being made on the animated film division of Disney.

What does that have to do with characters not under their film umbrella being adapted to live-action tv?

I don't get your signature 2kt09

They got it in for "exploitation", which they should have done even more to fight back.
They were not making nor distributing a tv movie "motion picture" of the X-Men, which would immediately shut them down.

At the time of the lawsuit Marvel was coming out of bankruptcy and was not part of the Disney empire. Settling, which they did eventually, was a much better option than fighting back against NewsCorp.

The shared universe is limited in that Marvel doesn't put multiple live action versions of the same character on TV and film and all of their properties have to fit together in a loose continuity. That works better for the street level Netflix properties, imo, than it does a show like AOS which runs in the same circles as the Avengers crew.

But DC's separate universes have had their own problems. Characters like Deadshot and Amanda Waller were taken out of action before Suicide Squad hit theaters, Superman has an extremely awkward pseudo presence in the Supergirl TV show and it is going to be very difficult to sell folks on a Flash movie when they have a season's worth of episodes from the popular show on their Netflix queue. I much prefer the Marvel approach.

What does that have to do with characters not under their film umbrella being adapted to live-action tv?

The Big Hero Six characters all belong to Marvel-Disney. Any and all Marvel characters that don't have their rights held at other companies can be used in the MCU. So, theoretically, any of the Big Hero 6 characters could have been made part of the MCU. However, even though that was a possibility, that didn't prevent the BH6 movie being made, and it is definitely not in MCU continuity.
In other words, just because the MCU tv/film continuity exists doesn't mean that it is impossible to have other Marvel-Disney related projects that aren't part of it.
We know that the upcoming Most Wanted and Damage Control will be part of it for example, but we don't know if Cloak and Dagger will be. It may not be.

The shared universe is limited in that Marvel doesn't put multiple live action versions of the same character on TV and film or characters that haven't been adapted but are packaged with the film rights licensed and all of their properties have to fit together in a loose continuity. That works better for the street level Netflix properties, imo, than it does a show like AOS which runs in the same circles as the Avengers crew.
Which is not my fortee and why I'd rather sever ties.

But DC's separate universes have had their own problems. Characters like Deadshot and Amanda Waller were taken out of action before Suicide Squad hit theaters, Superman has an extremely awkward pseudo presence in the Supergirl TV show
Don't get me started on this.

I don't get your signature 2kt09
which part?

The Big Hero Six characters all belong to Marvel-Disney. Any and all Marvel characters that don't have their rights held at other companies can be used in the MCU. So, theoretically, any of the Big Hero 6 characters could have been made part of the MCU. However, even though that was a possibility, that didn't prevent the BH6 movie being made, and it is definitely not in MCU continuity.
In other words, just because the MCU tv/film continuity exists doesn't mean that it is impossible to have other Marvel-Disney related projects that aren't part of it.
We know that the upcoming Most Wanted and Damage Control will be part of it for example, but we don't know if Cloak and Dagger will be. It may not be.

And I'm talking about characters tied to film rights Marvel-Disney don't have yet can still adapt for live-action tv (since they have tv rights and their cartoons can feature whatever and whomever) which they choose not to because of the shared universe.

Cloak and Dagger can't be called mutants from what I understand and if they happen to have Spidey characters or even the Daily Bugle on their show it's more than likely because of that Sony/Marvel deal.

And I'm talking about characters tied to film rights Marvel-Disney don't have yet can still adapt for live-action tv (since they have tv rights and their cartoons can feature whatever and whomever) which they choose not to because of the shared universe.
Why do you think this?
Zarex already addressed the live action tv issues, which is why I didn't even get into it.
Marvel-Dsiney has pretty much all characters for TV animation, but the same is not true for live action.
As far as animation is concerned (and I agree with that part of your sig, they need to fix it), their shows and character choices have not been limited by the MCU continuity, they've just been bad choices by their TV animation division.
Look at shows like Spectacular Spider-Man and Avengers: EMH, they were produced when the MCU already existed, yet that didn't stop them from using characters from the entire Marvel library.
Even the horrible shows they have in production now aren't shown to be shackled by MCU continuity, despite their seeming connection due to similar character designs... Spidey was being used way before his intro, or even before the Sony deal went through; Deadpool has been used; Falcon is nothing like his MCU counterpart, etc.

But still, going back to your point above, why do you think that it's the MCU continuity that is preventing these other possible live action shows from being made?

Cloak and Dagger can't be called mutants from what I understand and if they happen to have Spidey characters or even the Daily Bugle on their show it's more than likely because of that Sony/Marvel deal.
And they shouldn't be, because they're not. This was addressed even in the comics in which they briefly joined the X-Men... If they do use characters from the Spider-Man library it will be because of the new Sony deal which allows them to be shared. But again, what is it that you think the MCU continuity is blocking in these scenarios?

Strengthen the ties to the Netflix shows. SEVER the ties to Agents of TURD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kimcity
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"