Should there be more coordination between the Marvel televsion and film units

Their developing their own corner of the universe not separating it completely from the films. If the shows are to succeed they need to stand on their own. Sure there may be more cross overs on the same network, but that's easier for them in terms of logistics/marketing.

You're basically rehashing my point by saying they're developing their own corner. The films don't acknowledge them (never have) and the TV shows are no longer boasting the "it's all connected" theme and haven't since CA:TWS. The fact that they are owned by the same company is a technicality.

The relationship may have moved from "Its all connected!" to "Its not contradictory!". But Marvel's live action TV and film properties all take place within the same continuity.

In your own mind it does. Where's the evidence of it since The Winter Soldier?

Here is the problem with that thinking for Marvel. They have built this connected universe and up until IW, I can buy the limited connectivity that they have displayed. I'd like it to be a little more, but everything makes sense as it is so I can live with it. However, IW changes things. It is an event on such a level with such a threat that all characters need to feel it's impact and need to be involved at some level. If Fiege, D'sposito, Loeb, and any other decision-makers are going to tell me that the threat of Thanos doesn't require assistance from Quake or Luke Cage or Iron Fist, then it all starts to fall apart for me. If the TV characters are dealing with Hydra or the Hand while Thanos is attempting to destroy the universe, the universe ceases to be as impressive as it once was.

You're certainly entitled to that opinion.

Tv shows are still referencing movies, for example Hammer references in Luke Cage. The way I see it, the shows are an expansion of the main mcu. You can perfectly choose just the main movies, but you can also include the tv shows.

I'm hoping that Infinity War gives us a very brief nod to other heroes existing or is a story told in a way that doesn't wreck the logicality of the expansion.

Tv shows are still referencing movies, for example Hammer references in Luke Cage. The way I see it, the shows are an expansion of the main mcu. You can perfectly choose just the main movies, but you can also include the tv shows.

Luke Cage has also made references to the Chitauri invasion and Tony Stark.

Agents of Shield has talked about Ultron and the Sokovia Accords.

Does Inhumans count as better coordination?

You're basically rehashing my point by saying they're developing their own corner. The films don't acknowledge them (never have) and the TV shows are no longer boasting the "it's all connected" theme and haven't since CA:TWS. The fact that they are owned by the same company is a technicality.

No, but they do make references to the movies all the time.

since it's no longer necessary, the audience already got that message. And we still had tie ins for AoU, TDW, CW and, more subtle, to Dr. Strange on AoS alone. WE see the NY incident referenced constantly on the Netflix shows. Characters cross over all the time (admittedly in a one-way-street kind of way, but that's a) because it is easier to handle and b) because the Earth-based MCU movies so far didn't really leave a window open for AoS [or Netflix] characters to appear)

Sorry, I was confused when you said "separate" universe as if it's no longer canonical. And films don't reference the shows for two main reasons:

1. The narrative doesn't call for it - as in throughout the film the characters have no reason to mention or reference something other than a wink, wink nudge, nudge to the fan base. If it doesn't serve the story it's just excess fat. Take for example Civil War an how they don't mention Inhumans, that because maybe not all of the audience have seen AoS and would have no idea, but more importantly it does nothing to develop the characters themselves. When discussing the accords they only talk about how it affects them because it is essential to the plot of that movie. They're not going to waste time in this high budget film already filmed with tons of characters and subplots discussing parts of the accords that are irrelevant to the story at hand. Also since winter soldier Shield has operated as an unsanctioned, off the books, privatize, black ops organization. No wonder they're not mentioned very often.

2. Films are prepared and filmed way in advance - as opposed to television which has a farther quicker development cycle. It's far too difficult and unreasonable for film directors to keep tabs where they're already concerned with massive films. To put in perspective. AoS started writing season 3 with in a few weeks of when Civil War starting to film. The Russo's did not have any idea what exactly would occur in AoS as the writers were just figuring out. So the burden of connectivity is an always have been placed on the shows. No secret that the films take the lead, not follow it. You could come up with your own head-canon where they discuss Shield, Defenders, and whatever else of screen, because it's not relevant to the story at hand.

Also I have a huge pet peeve with people bringing up the "it's all connected" line from early interviews. Being connected doesn't mean it's part of one grand narrative, simply they take place in the same universe. They never said it's building to some kind of a grand crossover, simply that it's connected. It's canonical. And the reason they don't say that often anymore is because they don't have to. When the show started there were a lot of questions of what it would be and they want to make sure people knew it was part of the universe. Being the first tv show as part of the MCU that's an important point to make sure the potential new audience understands. Now people know it. Iron Fist doesn't need a line about an "Iron suit or magic hammer" in the trailer to indicate to an audience it's apart of the MCU. People get it more now.

Tv character may never show up in the films, but I doubt that because of some rift between perlmutter and Fiege or that they're not somehow canonical, but rather because the story doesn't call for it and probably some logistics with scheduling/contracts/etc can be in the way.

I just hope the Defenders at least get a mention in Infinity War.

How's that Superhero Registration Act going on for the Defenders?

How's that Superhero Registration Act going on for the Defenders?

No impact, since the Superhero Registration Act doesn't exist in the MCU.

If you are referring to the Sokovia Accords, that agreement refers to the deployment of enhanced individuals by military and or law enforcement agencies. The actions of private citizens operating independently like Luke, Jessica, Matt and Danny would not fall under The Accords. Though they may be subject to prosecution from local law enforcement due to vigilantism.

If you are referring to the Sokovia Accords, that agreement refers to the deployment of enhanced individuals by military and or law enforcement agencies. The actions of private citizens operating independently like Luke, Jessica, Matt and Danny would not fall under The Accords. Though they may be subject to prosecution from local law enforcement due to vigilantism.
That's exactly how I see it. Super humans may have to be registered in a system so law enforcement can identify and track them down if they break the law. But so far Daredevil and Jessica are flying under the radar and Luke Cage is probably already in the system being a convict. Look at Inhumans, in AoS they are all registered and tracked but only those whose sign the accord may use their powers to assist law enforcement.

I think of it like cpr certification, if your are not certified and preform cpr you are held accountable legally and financially if anything goes wrong. If things go right you'll probably be treated like a hero. If anything goes wrong you can get sued. But if you are certified, as long as you don't make any major mistakes, the red cross will back you up in court.

So if you signed you can operate with training and the backing of law enforcement, though if not signed you are free to do as you wish but will not receive any backing from the government should you be arrested or sued.

The Accords say the framework for REGISTRATION and deployment. It says so right on the cover.

latest

Jessica Jones and Luke Cage and Danny Rand do fall under the Sokovia Accords going by the actual ink. It's federal law.

Last edited:
You have to register if you are being deployed. They Defenders aren't being deployed. I haven't read the entire pretend document, but unlike the comic version I don't believe it impacts a non-team such as the Defenders.

It impacts every enhanced individual in the MCU, Avenger or not. That's why Yo-yo from AOS signed and that's why Black Panther would have to sign if he wasn't a King.

If that comes up at all in Defenders I'd be shocked.

You have to register if you are being deployed. They Defenders aren't being deployed. I haven't read the entire pretend document, but unlike the comic version I don't believe it impacts a non-team such as the Defenders.

Dude, seriously? They wanted to keep a registration of enhanced individuals to know who they should prosecut if that enhanced individual acted unilaterally and something went wrong. Accountability, that's why they came up with the Sokovia Accords.

It impacts every enhanced individual in the MCU, Avenger or not. That's why Yo-yo from AOS signed and that's why Black Panther would have to sign if he wasn't a King.

Yo-Yo signed because she was being deployed under the auspices of a recognised government agency. Citizen Yo-Yo didn't have to sign squat. Neither would non-royalty that owned a Vibranium weave suit used for attending furry conventions.

Dude, seriously? They wanted to keep a registration of enhanced individuals to know who they should prosecut if that enhanced individual acted unilaterally and something went wrong. Accountability, that's why they came up with the Sokovia Accords.

Hey, Chillax Bro! Anyhoo, the registration of enhanced individuals is from the comics, not the movies. The Sokovia Accords were designed to place government oversight on private armies like Stark's Avengers.

Section 3, Page 14, Paragraphs 5 through 9 of this totally made up document clearly states that "Individuals enhanced by mechanical or biological means who are not acting in a manner that may conflict with the governmental legal authority of the deployment area are not subject to Registration under the Sokovia Accords.

If that comes up at all in Defenders I'd be shocked.

If in the unlikely scenario the Accords came in Defenders, Jessica, Luke and Danny are gonna take one look at the document and then just walk away.

Not every enhanced individual has to sign though. Cap and company aren't forced to sign at all. Only if they still want to be Avengers and be superheroes. Ross does give them the option to retire.

As for the Defenders, they are already criminal vigilantes as it is, Accords or not.

In Agents of SHIELD, they blatantly said "it's a framework for registering every enhanced individual."

It goes well beyond deployment.

Inactive enhanced individuals are not required to sign. Ross made it quite clear that those who didn't would be forced to retire. In AOS, Daisy and Yo-Yo signed in order to be active SHIELD agents. There's been no indication that inactive enhanced individuals - and last week's brilliant episode made it clear that SHIELD was tracking dozens of Inhumans - were required to sign.

Let's say Danny, Luke and Jessica hang a "Heroes for Hire" shingle with Matt as their attorney. Would these private individuals acting under the laws of NYC and the Great State of NY be required to sign the Accords? My conclusion based on many hours of research is "no". But that is a grey area as opposed to superhuman vigilantes, whose actions fall under different sets of laws than the Sokovia Accords.

Last edited:
The problem with the Accords is that it's a long document they we only have partial cliff notes to. And so far it's explanation has been mostly reserved to operatives, as in Avengers and Shield. So we can't assume registrations means every enhance as to be hunted down and entered into a database. It could just mean "registration and deployment" as in those who choose sign up get registered and follow the rules of deployment, those who don't are in the wind. Again, the accords are very vague in this subject.

One thing to keep note is that Daredevil is already breaking the law. Enhanced or not he is considered a criminal. But one that some cops seem okay looking the other way. The only real factor for the Accord if they should get the Avengers to take him down. Something the police may be reluctant to do for a number of reasons. Also you can have the oversight committee (Secretary Ross) flat out refuse, not wanting to risk the damage the Avenger might cause to the city over some guy in a red suit. Similar with Jessica Jones she operates under a private investigator's license. As such there are things she can legally do(which she has routinely broken) so her actions are somewhat covered by that. If the cops had sufficient evidence that she is also super human then they can consider requesting action from Shield or the Avengers.

I also imagine the shear amount of calls the cops gets about enhanced they probably don't take any seriously. I mean that was most of Jessica Jones, just proving an enhanced exists. So Shield or the Accords coming after Daredevil or Jessica seems unlikely.

Inhuman registration appears to operate more like witness protection, possibly due to the back lash we see with the watchdogs so that they can stay safe. As well as ease people's minds with oversight. I'm willing to bet "registered" could also mean put in a database like the Index and that's that. Would be nice if Luke Cage's story could address it for us.

Another thought I had about connecting tv with films is with the trailer for Homecoming where Ned Leeds finds out about Peter one of the question he asks is "Can you get Luke Cage's autograph for me?" assuming all super humans know each other. I'd like to see more connections like that

The news reporter also said "as well as a framework for registering every enhanced individual."

It has aims beyond just deployment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"