Should there be more coordination between the Marvel televsion and film units

The Overlord

Superhero
Reaction score
Should there be more coordination between the Marvel television and film units?

Recently Chloe Bennet, an actress from Agents of Shield, claimed Marvel didn't care about the show. Shows like Agents of Shield refer to the movies all the time and the reverse doesn't happen, but the Netflix shows seems more self contained, making vague referees to the rest of the MCU, but not much beyond that. The Netflix shows are also more violent and dark then the movies are.

Also complicating matters is Marvel Studios recently split from Marvel Entertainment, so it would be harder to coordinate between those two divisions.

So should characters from the TV shows show up in the movies or should the movies and shows be separate from each other?

Last edited:
**** yes there should. DD and the Cap trilogy are the two best things the MCU has given us

Is this thread the reverse of this?

The Defenders need to be there when the MCU faces off against Thanos in IW2, it would be a shame and a real let down if they are excluded.

The films and the Netflix shows, YES!

Shield? Eh, that show is just the worse from MCU.

While Agent Carter isn't really necessary to the big picture unless you're an Agent Carter fan.

Netflix? Not really. I don't mind the street level Marvel heroes not sharing the screen with the larger than life heroes. At least, at the moment. Would it be nice to see it happen? Maybe. But for now, I say keep them separate.

I appreciate that we get subtle, restrained reminders that they're in the same world and it doesn't do what SHIELD does with that 'It's all connected' nonsense. Daredevil, Jessica Jones and so on don't need to shove it in your face that they're part of the MCU. We can infer that. Since the 'connected' stuff only exists in the mind of SHIELD folks. I don't keep up with SHIELD all that much, but Bennett is probably right. No one in the grand scheme of things cares about SHIELD. Not even SHIELD cares about SHIELD.

Yes. I'd love to see Charlie Cox or Vincent D'Onofrio show up in a Spider-Man movie.

Yes, a thousand times yes!

I wonder if the Russo brothers would consider doing the whole "all the Marvel Universe heroes in one big room" scene that we see so often in comic crossovers.

Like a scene where all the characters show up and they are having their own little chats. Some random characters have first meetings or weird interactions. Then Captain America comes in and gives the whole rundown.

Like in this scene, you'd have the Defenders there, the Agents of SHIELD could be in there, Doctor Strange, the Guardians could show up, Spider-Man, the Avengers, etc. Captain America gives the groups their marching orders and maybe a stirring speech and moves them out.

Talking about the folks behind the films, by the way, the fact that the writers of Civil War have admitted that they don't keep up with Agents of SHIELD shows that the greater Marvel Cinematic Universe, for the most part, probably isn't invested in a show centered around a character the Universe killed in The Avengers.

I'm sure this will annoy fans of the shows, but I think both AOS and Agent Carter are distractions from the MCU and their relative low quality hurts rather than helps the whole thing. The Netflix shows are high-quality and should be integrated and should have cameos from Marvel film characters and vice versa.

AOS and Agent Carter are like parasites sucking off of the popularity of the MCU and getting viewers to tune into mediocre spy shows when the quality of the shows on their own makes them fairly forgettable.

Sorry, but that's just the way I feel after watching more AOS and Agent Carter than I ever would have if they weren't supposedly connected to the MCU. I would have given up after the first couple episodes of both shows if they were stand-alones. And I don't feel that sticking in there for as long as I did made me glad I did. I feel annoyed that I wasted as much time as I did hoping they'd get better.

I think in Agent Carter's case, more so its first season, it doesn't really have to distract from the MCU because it's already informed by what happened in The First Avenger and just builds out that era without having any impact on what happens later in the MCU. Though I did find it annoying when folks behind Agent Carter said the Zero Matter in Season Two would have a sort of tie-in or impact on Doctor Strange.

Aside from the Darkforce itself, there's no connection and just feels like a way to force a reference, like Agents of SHIELD having a news crawl reference to the gang war in Hell's Kitchen. Unless you watch Daredevil or have no interest in seeing Doctor Strange, those sort of 'connections' don't amount to anything. And even if you follow the MCU as a whole, the connection has no impact.

As far as SHIELD goes, not really. I feel that show hasn't treaded much important ground from the beginning. I wouldn't be surprised if it's reconned after Phase 3.

Agent Carter is a maybe. The first season was brilliant and tied into a lot of themes from the Cap and Iron Man franchises, but I hear the second season regressed to something more like AoS.

The Netflix shows are a definite yes. Daredevil especially is too good to not be in the MCU.

Daredevil sure as hell deserves to be in an MCU film. DD is an OG Marvel Age hero, one of their all time greatest characters, and Charlie Cox is killing it. All the tiny lip service the Netflix shows pay to the films mean nothing if they don't have at least one meaningful crossover.

Something is legit wrong if we don't see some cross-polination in the IW films.

I think it's fine if it's not constantly linked just for the sake of it, but in cases where it makes sense it'd be cool have characters and other things from the shows appear in the movies (and vice versa). So don't suddenly have Daisy Johnson or Daredevil pop up, say "hey everyone" and help in a fight and then leave again, just to have them there. But if there is a scene where SHIELD intervenes (like in Age of Ultron), maybe have Melinda May pilot a jet or have agent Koenig on deck, or if there is another flashback to the Starks, have Jarvis played by James D'Arcy appear as their butler if it would logically fit in the scene. Or if they want a Spider-Man movie where Kingpin is a/the villain, use Vincent D'Onofrio and keep him consistent with the Daredevil show.

I really do like the idea of them being in the same universe and I feel like Marvel is trying to do that but they're just not paying enough attention to the details. For example MY favourite show was/is Agent Carter and if you have read any of my posts before, you will know how much I hate Sharon... So with the way they set up Peggy's family tree in the shows it's highly unlikely that Sharon was really as close to Peggy as she says. Reason 1) Unless Sharon changed her last name, Sharon would likely be Peggy's Dad's Brother's Son's Daughter and lemme ask you. How close were you to your Dad's Brother's Son's Daughter? Reason 2) Peggy pretty much cut all ties with her family when she joined British Secret Intelligence. She always had a kinda estranged relationship with her parents as she wasn't the 'typical' girl and wanted to be just like her brother. 3) OK SO In the comics, Peggy's Dad was her brother and Sharon's Father, But in the TV series they killed off Peggy's brother... So Sharon cannot be Peggy's Brothers child's child. K, I'm done thanks for reading :D

I definitely want a crossover between the two sides of the MCU, but I'm more understandable of the divide than most people. Consider that the AoS primarily operate in the shadows, the netflix heroes operate on the streets, and Agent Carter is in the 1940's, while the Avengers are trying to stop alien invasions and city's being blown out of the sky. There are different tiers, even in the comics, so it would make sense that Cap and Daredevil haven't shared screen time yet.

However, it's going to get to a point where the TV shows will have to bleed over into the movies - I would argue that the Inhuman event in AoS would necessitate mention in CW, but it seems we have a little bit of waiting to do before this crossover occurs.

As far as SHIELD goes, not really. I feel that show hasn't treaded much important ground from the beginning. I wouldn't be surprised if it's reconned after Phase 3.

Agent Carter is a maybe. The first season was brilliant and tied into a lot of themes from the Cap and Iron Man franchises, but I hear the second season regressed to something more like AoS.

The Netflix shows are a definite yes. Daredevil especially is too good to not be in the MCU.

Agreed on all counts, particularly the bolded - Agent Carter season 1 is one of the best things Marvel ever produced and easily the best CBM property to be on network TV, but the second season was pretty bad. Skip it.

Last edited:
I definitely want a crossover between the two sides of the MCU, but I'm more understandable of the divide than most people. Consider that the AoS primarily operate in the shadows, the netflix heroes operate on the streets, and Agent Carter is in the 1940's, while the Avengers are trying to stop alien invasions and city's being blown out of the sky. There are different tiers, even in the comics, so it would make sense that Cap and Daredevil haven't shared screen time yet.

What people also don't get (or don't want to) is that the production timelines for movies and a season of a TV show are vastly different.

What people also don't get (or don't want to) is that the production timelines for movies and a season of a TV show are vastly different.

I think this is the biggest reason why there wasn't a more seamless connection between the two units. I also think that DC not even attempting continuity between film and TV supports that conclusion.

(Or it's at least a large reason among several)

I don't think the two have to play huge parts but references/appearances should definitely be made. We were able to see the beginning-somewhat middle-end of Peggy Carter through the movies and her brief tv series, that kind of thing was seemeless and perfect and how I would want other characters/events to happen.

I'd love to see Spidey interacting with the defenders, not sure how the timeline will work, will Luke Cage be post Civil war or pre ? Daredevil often shared the same bad guys as Spiderman , especially Kingpin, so a Spiderman/ Defenders crossover wouldn't be too hard to imagine, and will hopefully be given a shot. Once they become The Defenders surely Hells Kitchen will be too small for them & they'll spill out into Spiderman territory?
AoS often references the latest film from the Avengers stalwarts, I don't think there's much of a reason for there to be more than that, except maybe Ironman acknowledging that his buddy Phil is still alive.?

If it means Netflix can get away with what they've been putting out, then hell no there shouldn't.

I really do like the idea of them being in the same universe and I feel like Marvel is trying to do that but they're just not paying enough attention to the details. For example MY favourite show was/is Agent Carter and if you have read any of my posts before, you will know how much I hate Sharon... So with the way they set up Peggy's family tree in the shows it's highly unlikely that Sharon was really as close to Peggy as she says. Reason 1) Unless Sharon changed her last name, Sharon would likely be Peggy's Dad's Brother's Son's Daughter and lemme ask you. How close were you to your Dad's Brother's Son's Daughter? Reason 2) Peggy pretty much cut all ties with her family when she joined British Secret Intelligence. She always had a kinda estranged relationship with her parents as she wasn't the 'typical' girl and wanted to be just like her brother. 3) OK SO In the comics, Peggy's Dad was her brother and Sharon's Father, But in the TV series they killed off Peggy's brother... So Sharon cannot be Peggy's Brothers child's child. K, I'm done thanks for reading :D

I feel you're being a bit unfairly harsh. It has been all but officially confirmed the file about "M. Carter" from season 2 as about Michael, not Margaret. So what super shocking thing could it reveal about Michael? There is not much beyond being alive and maybe doing certain things while not being dead. This would mean he would have played a larger role in season 3. It would then make sense for Sharon to be Michael's son's daughter. As for being close to a reasonably distant family member like a great aunt, it's not that weird. I know all of my great aunts and uncles quite well, and if one of them was as special as Peggy I could see myself having spent more time with them.

I don't think the two have to play huge parts but references/appearances should definitely be made. We were able to see the beginning-somewhat middle-end of Peggy Carter through the movies and her brief tv series, that kind of thing was seemeless and perfect and how I would want other characters/events to happen.

There's a difference between filling in history one piece at a time and running a show alongside the movies operating in more/less real time and having them feed into one another.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"