Should there be more coordination between the Marvel televsion and film units

God no. Please keep the Agents of SHIELD, and especially Coulson, out of the Netflix stuff. And that's coming from someone who's kept up all of the seasons of AoS.

I cannot think of a crossover that'd be more tonally jarring.

And then DD breaks Coulson's jaw and nonchalantly skips away while whistling.

That's already been discussed to death. Whedon and Marvel felt that explaining Coulson's resurrection and having the Avengers react to it would take up too much time (especially since it's entirely irrelevant to the actual plot about Ultron), and that just dropping him in with a quick cameo would be confusing since the movie audience dwarfs that of AOS.

Good rule of thumb is that if you want something to impact your movies, you should have it actually happen in the movies, not a spin-off show.

That explanation makes no sense because there's no explanation for Fury to come out of hiding for no reason after faking his death.

Just our luck:

http://mcuexchange.com/clark-gregg-...keep-coulson-from-meeting-netflix-characters/

"Corporate stuff" is keeping Coulson and the crew from crossing over with the Netflix characters.
IMHO with The Defenders battling a threat that could put all of New York in peril, no reason Coulson shouldn't pay them a visit. Again just to say, "Hey, I'm Coulson, new SHIELD director. I like you and what you do. I can be your friend, but don't make an enemy out of me."

And no, Matt wouldn't punch him in the jaw because he's not Wolverine. Matt is not a *****ebag or an a-hole. He would treat Coulson with respect, possibly keep him at arm's length, but he wouldn't punch him in the jaw for no reason.

Its not about scheduling an actor to appear on the show. The logistics problem is making the scripts mesh, when the way scripts are plotted is radically different for movies and TV. Admittedly, this is mainly a problem for having stuff go from TV to movie ( any upcoming movie will have its plot locked down upward of a full season before release, so any TV references have to be either edited in last minute, or from older seasons ).

Anyway, I think the biggest mistakes they made:

0. Green lighting the show in the first place, doing all the prepwork and initial scripts and such, and then "SHIELD goes kaboom!" The showrunners only found out after they'd done a great deal of initial work, and that undermined everything and forced them to go a specific direction with specific results.

1. Having Coulson's operation become the heirs to SHIELD, trying to operate like they can rebuild SHIELD and eventually have things back to normal. Given that the movies were not going to reintroduce SHIELD, it results in a narrative direction that just doesn't work. Either failure is inevitable, or else he has to succeed at putting together an organization that looks an awful lot more like SHIELD's mistakes than successes.

2. Going too big. The inevitable question with any big superhero plot is "Why didn't _____ help?" The MCU is big enough and broad enough that you can avoid this without too much trouble, IMO. AoS decided to instead see how hard they could smash on suspension of disbelief with a hammer, courtesy of the extended Inhumans plotline. You shouldn't write stories where there is literally no good reason to not get on a phone and go "Hey, Avengers? There's a literal world-threatening bad thing happening at these coordinates."

3. Too much HYDRA. Not only did it get repetitive, but it stripped the grandeur from them as a villain group. If they were going to use Hydra remnants in season 2, fine, that makes sense. There should have been *zero* Hydra in season 3.

Yeah, you can't go from TV to movie easily, and you shouldn't. The TV show is to promote the films, it's like the Star Wars Expanded Universe, in a way (and perhaps will also be WordofGodded away?). I think it's doable on a small scale, for instance, with a high amount of coordination, the Agents of SHIELD characters could have been running the bridge during the Age of Ultron final battle. The filmmakers would have known about the show and the potential crossover far ahead of time, could have had an episode where Fury comes and recruits them to get the Helicarrier out of mothballs, and another which covers the Ultron battle from a rescue operation standpoint. Could've been awesome. Now, in reality, that scene would have been shot during the actors' season break between 1 and 2, but it could have been a really gorgeous payoff, on the level with the Winter Soldier crossover. Who knows, in a perfect world, if the show was doing it's Season 1 numbers, they could have even gotten a super powered person into the Civil War with the same kind of shooting schedule.

But yeah

0 - See, I thought TV was flexible. They couldn't have twisted the AoS setup and initial cast to actually fit with the films, and like you said, adjusted the premise going forward to work. I think they had the same experience a lot of Marvel directors have and instead of having to bend hard or walk away, they were able to separate themselves from the movies a bit, which hasn't worked out well in the long run.

1 - I think the biggest sacrifice that they would have had to make, if they stayed coordinated, is changing the name second season, or late in the first season. The show wrestled with the "Agents of Nothing" on screen and they decided, as Coulson did in-universe, to stick to their guns. That sacrifice would have really shown that the show was part of the MCU in a very serious way. And I don't think the show would have lost much since all Season 1 collections would bear the new name.

2 - Agreed. It seems like spy thrillers work when there's a thing, a Pandora's Box, that they're trying to stop from opening. A sale, a virus being spread, an assassination. In superhero films, they open the box in the third act and the hero has to beat up whatever comes out and close it again. But AoS kept opening the box, whether it was Hive or Inhumans or cyborg thingies (though Coulson did close that in a funny way). A side effect of going to big: saying Coulson is an Avenger.

3 - Yeah, they kinda AIMed HYDRA, which is unfortunate.

Now keep in mind, there are a number of pressures in a TV schedule and breaking a TV show and spreading it around the writer's room, but here are my major problems with the conception of the show:

A: Not making it about a superhero from the beginning. This is a show set in the MCU, they should have intergrated a long-form superhero origin story into season 1 because 1) They Can 2) People Like It 3) People Expected It 4) It doesn't get in the way of a SHIELD storyline. At the time I strongly suggested Carol Danvers, and though I'm glad they went with giving her a movie, there are a number of other great candidates, including Quake, if they'd gone with that angle from the beginning.

B: Following the fandom, instead of the formula that creates the fandom. Everyone loves (loved?) Coulson, and for good cause. But the reason he was loved by everyone was the way he fit into the MCU. The reason they got into the MCU was because of it's slick streamlining and updating of tried and true concepts from Marvel Comics. AoS thought it could get the fandom without streamlining and updating tried and true concepts from Marvel comics and, well... not so much. AoS would have had a stronger following, with the exact same quality if the characters had names like Clay Quartermain, Elise Carson, GW Bridge and Jimmy Woo. To say nothing of if they'd actually taken on the SHIELD mythos. Imagine a Contessa Fontaine in place of one of the 5 generic HYDRA sub-heads they've had.

C: They dropped what made the short work. I think a similar thing happened with Agent Carter, where it suddenly became about somene who wasn't kicking butt and who wasn't dealing with Classical Marvel villains and super-science. They stretched the premise instead of expanding it. Item 47 was light, comical, badass and connected directly to a natural and necessary plot thread from the most recent Marvel film. Of course there are alien artifacts all over the black market! How could there not be? The quirkiness, what I think the show tried to keep, worked because those actors were funnier than they were attractive, imho, and because they had an excellent foil in Sitwell, who showed he was a worthy successor to Coulson, again, imho. For the show, they removed the foil, upped the attractiveness and youth, took down the comedy to a more rote scripted level and dropped the connection pretty quickly.

D: Centering around Coulson. This really is all of the above, but to bring this guy in, in Episode 1, with no explanation, and leave it as a mystery how he got back really misses the point of: his death is a huge deal in the movies. It send a clear message to me: "This is a show for the people who don't care about his death, because neither it, nor his resurrection are important." And if I thought the circumstances or results of his resurrection were going to be consequential, the show certainly corrected me. But what added insult to injury is that they discovered, I believe, that Coulson, as he appears in the MCU films, is designed to *not* be a lead character. He is the guy who always keeps his cool, even when interrogating someone whose decimated his men, he's only scarcely more than irritated. The world is blowing up around him, or a guy has him dead to rights at the convenience store, Coulson is cool. That's the joke. So when the show puts him the lead, it needs him to be more aggressive to push the story, and so he becomes a lot more like Mal Reynolds, where he's this tortured man of deep conviction who puts on a happy face as a tactic, and in that he becomes, to me, more juvenille, and markedly different from the Coulson that I actually liked. And what's worse... if they hadn't needed to center it on Coulson, they could have brought Coulson back and been free to change him in some material way to make his death matter, and that would have been a cool mystery. Was that Coulson? Is Coulson still Coulson? While the show tried to have that mystery, it couldn't because Coulson being Coulson was part of the selling point. To me, when I saw Coulson was going to be the lead, that's when the show died to me, and I don't know that I ever really got into it, even though I've seen every episode, that was more out of brand loyalty. I'm also a bit biased, since most of my favorite shows that took dips in quality did so because they didn't know when to let go of characters, because they liked the actors, even though recycling those characters whose plotlines were complete brought the show down, they liked the actors, they liked the characters as they were in earlier seasons, even if those versions of those characters weren't the best for later seasons. Agents of SHIELD started out by centering on a character whose storyline was super-satisfactorily complete, because people liked the actor, and that, imho, was the very first nail in the coffin.

I could go on further about how the show was run, both in missed opportunities and characterization that I just didn't find compelling at all.

And no, Matt wouldn't punch him in the jaw because he's not Wolverine. Matt is not a *****ebag or an a-hole. He would treat Coulson with respect, possibly keep him at arm's length, but he wouldn't punch him in the jaw for no reason.

Yeah, if Coulson comes in all-a-threatening, it's unlikely that Matt will give him any more respect than he does anyone else who threatens him just because they can. Coulson ain't Fury. And if Matt's having one of his characteristic bad days? I dunno, Coulson might just end up face down on a rooftop somewhere.

Last edited:
That explanation makes no sense because there's no explanation for Fury to come out of hiding for no reason after faking his death.

It actually does. Fury's return didn't need an explanation. He ran off and then came back because the current situation was too big for him to sit out. That's fairly simple.

Less simple is a guy getting stabbed to death, the team mourning his death, and then said guy popping up out of nowhere in the sequel with no explanation. They made the right call.

It actually does. Fury's return didn't need an explanation. He ran off and then came back because the current situation was too big for him to sit out. That's fairly simple.

And yet he said or did nothing of note. Again, Coulson and the SHIELD agents easily could've been the ones to save the day instead of dragging in a one-scene character from Winter Soldier. He wasn't done going after HYDRA either because they are still around.

Less simple is a guy getting stabbed to death, the team mourning his death, and then said guy popping up out of nowhere in the sequel with no explanation. They made the right call.

Nope. Everyone thought it would be this huge problem for Iron Man to interact with Thor and mess around with those characters considering there's no magic, aliens or anything mystical in the Iron Man movies. How is Iron Man going to deal with all these things being real and explained to him. The point is they didn't. Iron Man just accepted it and moved on.

Yeah, if Coulson comes in all-a-threatening, it's unlikely that Matt will give him any more respect than he does anyone else who threatens him just because they can. Coulson ain't Fury. And if Matt's having one of his characteristic bad days? I dunno, Coulson might just end up face down on a rooftop somewhere.

Yeah that wasn't all a-threatening. And Coulson wouldn't exactly allow Matt to do that to him either. Just like the time Kingpin slammed his face to a table and told him exactly what he would do to Murdock when he was out of prison and Murdock could do nothing in response except take his punishment like a school child.

And yet he said or did nothing of note.

And what he did is entirely irrelevant to the discussion. The point is that a character coming back from the dead is a bigger thing than someone going on vacation and then coming back.

And Coulson wouldn't exactly allow Matt to do that to him either.

The fists don't give a damn what Coulson wants.

And what he did is entirely irrelevant to the discussion. The point is that a character coming back from the dead is a bigger thing than someone going on vacation and then coming back.

But Coulson is already back from the dead and alive. You can't close Pandora's Box after it's been opened Mbj.

The fists don't give a damn what Coulson wants.

I'm not seeing the problem here. Even Clark Gregg wants this to happen. So why is this so terrible?

http://moviepilot.com/posts/2014/05...k-gregg-gives-me-level-7-clearance-1446330?lt

“I’d be really disappointed if I don’t get to show up in New York for Daredevil, or Iron Fist was a huge favorite of mine in comic books as a kid. I’ve had more than my share so I shouldn’t be greedy but it would be a huge geekout moment for me if I got to meet Daniel Rand.”

You can't close Pandora's Box after it's been opened Mbj.

Well clearly you can, or else the Agents of SHIELD wouldn't be consistently left out of the movies.

Well clearly you can, or else the Agents of SHIELD wouldn't be consistently left out of the movies.

But it hasn't been closed. If they were really concerned about a resurrection cheapening Coulson's death, then they shouldn't have brought him back on Agents of SHIELD in the first place.

But it hasn't been closed.

Functionally, it has. People convinced themselves Coulson would be in Age of Ultron. It didn't happen. They convinced themselves Coulson and his team would be in Civil War. It didn't happen. People will probably convince themselves Coulson will be in Infinity War and then be upset when that doesn't happen either.

Yeah that wasn't all a-threatening. And Coulson wouldn't exactly allow Matt to do that to him either. Just like the time Kingpin slammed his face to a table and told him exactly what he would do to Murdock when he was out of prison and Murdock could do nothing in response except take his punishment like a school child.

Maybe you haven't had strangers sneak up on you in the dark and tell you they've been watching you and that you'd better fly right, but that's a threat, clearly implying that if you don't do what that person wants, they will hurt you. If Phil had approached Tony that way, he'd have been an enemy instead of a nuisance. Coulson also isn't Kingpin. Not on his best day could he get in Matt's head the way Fisk did in S2.

Nice guy though. Coulson's a lovely teddy bear who will faceroll convenience store robbers all day long. Matt Murdock is of a different caliber.

Functionally, it has. People convinced themselves Coulson would be in Age of Ultron. It didn't happen. They convinced themselves Coulson and his team would be in Civil War. It didn't happen. People will probably convince themselves Coulson will be in Infinity War and then be upset when that doesn't happen either.

But Coulson is already back from the dead and alive. You can't close Pandora's Box after it's been opened Mbj.

Perhaps not close it, but you can put a bigger box around it and contain in that way, and that seems to be what the MCU has done.

I'm not seeing the problem here. Even Clark Gregg wants this to happen. So why is this so terrible?

http://moviepilot.com/posts/2014/05...k-gregg-gives-me-level-7-clearance-1446330?lt
The same thing that made bringing Coulson back so great is the same thing that makes integrating him with the MCU so terrible: The desires of the fans.

Because Coulson is an ascended fanboy, his appeal is exclusively tied to how much Twitter/Tumblr love he gets. Agents of SHIELD did not build on that, but actually used Coulson in a very different way in terms of narrative and quality, than what made anyone care about #CoulsonLives. Without that, those same people who were so excited about having Coulson back are the same ones who would be disappointed and upset if Steve, who has only improved in quality and expanded in narrative power, had to reckon with his resurrection. And these are the people who LOVE Coulson. Imagine the reactions of people who thought he was 'just okay' or 'pointless and annoying.'

The fact that Gregg wants to go back to the ascended fanboy role is sweet, but way too little, way too late. What makes that archetype powerful is that they aren't the badass alpha dog alien juiced cyborg director of SHIELD with a holo shield in his arm and lost loves dying in his arms. This character is not one that many people want to see return to this role in the MCU, or on Netflix, or anywhere.

To put it bluntly: Agents of SHIELD ruined Phil Coulson. No one wants him anymore, except hardcore AoS fans. Clark Gregg himself being one doesn't change that.

Last edited:

Except it hasn't. I never convinced myself that Coulson would be in it or Infinity War. I simply think he should've appeared in Age of Ultron because functionally it would've made more sense than a pointless appearance by Fury who came out of hiding after faking his death in a dramatic fashion for no reason.

You can't say it cheapens his death if he's already been resurrected and is currently alive.

Maybe you haven't had strangers sneak up on you in the dark and tell you they've been watching you and that you'd better fly right, but that's a threat, clearly implying that if you don't do what that person wants, they will hurt you. If Phil had approached Tony that way, he'd have been an enemy instead of a nuisance. Coulson also isn't Kingpin. Not on his best day could he get in Matt's head the way Fisk did in S2.

Nice guy though. Coulson's a lovely teddy bear who will faceroll convenience store robbers all day long. Matt Murdock is of a different caliber.

Except Coulson has a super-powered robotic arm now. I'm saying he could approach Daredevil in a similar way he did to Tony Stark. Or Fury with Stark. It's not rocket science.

Perhaps not close it, but you can put a bigger box around it and contain in that way, and that seems to be what the MCU has done.

The same thing that made bringing Coulson back so great is the same thing that makes integrating him with the MCU so terrible: The desires of the fans.

Because Coulson is an ascended fanboy, his appeal is exclusively tied to how much Twitter/Tumblr love he gets. Agents of SHIELD did not build on that, but actually used Coulson in a very different way in terms of narrative and quality, than what made anyone care about #CoulsonLives. Without that, those same people who were so excited about having Coulson back are the same ones who would be disappointed and upset if Steve, who has only improved in quality and expanded in narrative power, had to reckon with his resurrection. And these are the people who LOVE Coulson. Imagine the reactions of people who thought he was 'just okay' or 'pointless and annoying.'

None of this makes any sense to me. So basically people who love that Coulson is back would hate it if Steve Rogers came to grips with his being alive again? Sorry but I just don't see that at all.

The fact that Gregg wants to go back to the ascended fanboy role is sweet, but way too little, way too late. What makes that archetype powerful is that they aren't the badass alpha dog alien juiced cyborg director of SHIELD with a holo shield in his arm and lost loves dying in his arms. This character is not one that many people want to see return to this role in the MCU, or on Netflix, or anywhere.

I doubt people would complain if he showed up in the films again. It's not like he had a major role.

To put it bluntly: Agents of SHIELD ruined Phil Coulson. No one wants him anymore, except hardcore AoS fans. Clark Gregg himself being one doesn't change that.

Not that I'm the biggest fan of the show, but I think you are projecting your own feelings and opinions more than anything.

Last edited:
I'm against a lot of this TV crossover stuff, and not just because I think AoS is terrible and the Netflix shows are great. My problem with it is, it's a different animal than crossovers in the movies. I mean, all the Marvel films are interconnected, and you do have to see some to fully understand the others, but it's not a huge time commitment. Thor: The Dark World might be a sucky movie, but at the end of the day, that's just two hours out of my life.

It's different with TV, especially shows on major networks that are 20+ episodes per season. That's a lot of time I could be doing something other than watching a show I don't like. But when this crossover stuff happens, I feel OBLIGATED to keep up with everything so I can follow what's going on and I know who everyone is. And that's why this coming season, I might stop watching The Flash altogether, because they're doing a four-way CW crossover. And I have NO interest in picking Arrow, Supergirl or Legends of Tomorrow back up again. And yet, I feel like I'll have to if I want to know what the hell is going on during this stupid crossover event.

It would be awesome for them to bring SHIELD back in at some point. And it would be remarkably easy as well. Instead of some nameless agents in the films, you'd have actual members of SHIELD. It can be as simple as that.

The problem is Marvel is treating AoS like their red-headed step child. They're not letting them REALLY play in the Marvel universe. They can't have any cool toys. They're bringing in Ghostrider this season, but of course there's a catch, its not THE Ghostrider, its the recent updated Ghostrider that drives a car that no one cares about. And I think because of this the film division distances itself from it. If SHIELD was a popular show that got high ratings week in and week out, I guarantee you we would've seen cameos from that show in one of the films. But since its become somewhat of a niche show, they're left in the wind to do their own thing with limited access to the Marvel universe.

Except Coulson has a super-powered robotic arm now. I'm saying he could approach Daredevil in a similar way he did to Tony Stark. Or Fury with Stark. It's not rocket science.

You weren't saying that last page.

TVO's Coulson said:
"We know who you are and we are keeping tabs on you. We like what you are doing, but if you go to far, we'll end you."

Has quite a bit more edge than "I'd like to talk to you about the Avenger Initiative." Even according to rocket scientists.

But you're right, the metal arms makes it not a total beat down.

None of this makes any sense to me. So basically people who love that Coulson is back would hate it if Steve Rogers came to grips with his being alive again? Sorry but I just don't see that at all.
The fans, in general, liked Coulson. Now, the fans, in general, are no longer interested in Coulson. If you can't see that, check AoS' ratings.

I doubt people would complain if he showed up in the films again. It's not like he had a major role.
Actually, dying in the Avengers was a huge plot point. I know a lot of people missed that, somehow, but it was a very memorable moment.

Not that I'm the biggest fan of the show, but I think you are projecting your own feelings and opinions more than anything.
You know what, maybe you're right. Let me project other people's opinions.

Joss Whedon said:
As far as I’m concerned, in this movie, Coulson’s dead. If you come back in the sequel and say Coulson’s alive, it’s like putting ****ing John Gielgud in the sequel to Arthur. It mattered that he’s gone. It’s a different world now. And you have to run with that.

“I think actually the movie people were a little bit cross about the TV show” Whedon revealed. “They were sort of like ‘Well you can have this but not this. And this but not that.’ It’s complicated enough as it is without me adding another layer of complication. We also created a TV show called S.H.I.E.L.D. right before they made a movie where they destroyed S.H.I.E.L.D.. So everybody’s having a GREAT time!”

And the Coulson thing was, I think, a little anomalous just because that really came from the television division, which is sort of considered to be its own subsection of the Marvel universe. As far as the fiction of the movies, Coulson is dead.

That's the box around the Pandora's Box.

Chloe Bennet said:
I don’t know. People who make movies for Marvel, why don’t you acknowledge what happens on our show? Why don’t you guys go ask them that? Cause they don’t seem to care!

The Marvel Cinematic Universe loves to pretend that everything is connected, but then they don’t acknowledge our show at all. So, I would love to do that, but they don’t seem to keen on that idea.

That's what it feels like inside the box.

Kevin Feige said:
“I think that’s inevitable at some point as we’re plotting the movies going forward and they’re doing the shows.”

Going forward and certainly as they begin to do more shows and cast them with such great actors as they have — particularly Daredevil — that that may occur.

This is the criteria to get out of the box. Keep going and have high quality, things AoS is failing at.

Jeph Loeb said:
Thanks to Clark’s rampant enthusiasm, I certainly can see a world where his childhood dream of meeting Iron Fist could happen. But it may be way down the road.

This is the only thing pushing this idea. The dreams of the guys in the TV division, and Clark Gregg's real life charm. But it is not enough to meet the criteria above.

Fan enthusiasm could do it, just as it got Coulson back but,

Wikipedia said:
1.01 "Pilot" - 12.12 million viewers
1.02 "0-8-4" - 8.66 million viewers
3.21 "Absolution" - 3.03 million viewers
3.22 "Ascension" - 3.03 million viewers

This is people's interest in Coulson.

Last edited:
Except it hasn't.

It has. I'm not sure what's so confusing about that. People working there have expressed no desire to bring him back because of the complications his return would cause, and so far he's been completely kept out of the movies without even a reference to him. That seems fairly cut and dry.

It has. I'm not sure what's so confusing about that. People working there have expressed no desire to bring him back because of the complications his return would cause, and so far he's been completely kept out of the movies without even a reference to him. That seems fairly cut and dry.

Then they should never have brought him back in the first place.

The problem is Marvel is treating AoS like their red-headed step child. They're not letting them REALLY play in the Marvel universe. They can't have any cool toys. They're bringing in Ghostrider this season, but of course there's a catch, its not THE Ghostrider, its the recent updated Ghostrider that drives a car that no one cares about.

None of the Ghost Riders are particularly well known or popular. They're best remembered for a pair of really bad Nic Cage movies more than anything. Most of the audience doesn't read comics, so the vast majority of the players in the MCU are new characters to them. It really doesn't make a difference which Ghost Rider they used.

And I think because of this the film division distances itself from it. If SHIELD was a popular show that got high ratings week in and week out, I guarantee you we would've seen cameos from that show in one of the films. But since its become somewhat of a niche show, they're left in the wind to do their own thing with limited access to the Marvel universe.

Doubtful. This was a problem even before Agents of SHIELD's ratings began to tank. From the beginning the film and TV divisions were two completely different entities, and the right hand often didn't know what the left was doing. I'm sure had they been on the same page someone would have pointed out that it was a terrible idea to make a show about SHIELD right before the movie division completely destroyed SHIELD in their next movie.

And note that it's not just SHIELD. Nobody at Marvel Studios seems terribly concerned about working the Netflix shows into the movies either, even though the fan and critical reception to Daredevil and Jessica Jones has been much better than that of SHIELD.

Why Marvel TV Characters Are Unlikely to Appear in Marvel Films [TCA 2016]

Jeph Loeb, president of Marvel Television, was on a Netflix panel for Luke Cage before the Television Critics Association. Loeb is in charge of all live-action and animated Marvel shows, including the Netflix titles and ABC’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. and Agent Carter. When asked if we could see any of the television characters, be it Luke Cage or Daredevil, in any of the Marvel movies, Loeb explained why it would be prohibitive to the television schedules.

“I can tell you that part of the challenge of doing this sort of thing is that the movies are planned out years in advance of what it is that we are doing,” Loeb said. “Television moves at an incredible speed. The other part of the problem is that when you stop and think about it, if I’m shooting a television series and that’s going to go on over a six-month or eight-month period, how am I going to get Mike [Colter] to be able to go be in a movie? I need Mike to be in a television show.”

Loeb did not completely rule out a crossover, and some of the film characters like Nick Fury, Siff and Maria Hill have appeared on television. “Anything is possible,” Loeb continued. “As I often get reported by you folks for saying #ItsAllConnected, our feeling is that the connection isn’t just whether or not somebody is walking into a movie or walking out of a television show. It’s connected in the way that the shows come from the same place, that they are real, that they are grounded.”

A crossover also has to mean something. If they only show up for a joke, it defeats the purpose of connecting the worlds. “We have seen some characters that have appeared and crossed over,” Loeb said. “Most notably, one of our cast members that isn’t here because she’s working is Rosario Dawson, who continues the character of Claire Temple. So the short answer is we are already doing it. The long answer is as things go by, as the story dictates it, we’ve always been big fans of providing Easter eggs for our fans, but we never want to be known as an Easter egg farm. It has to work within the story. We never want to do Luke Cage gets into a cab as Foggy Nelson and Matt Murdock are getting out of the cab. For those of you that are old enough to know this reference, it’s not when The Man from U.N.C.L.E. was on Please Don’t Eat the Daisies. You actually get to see our characters interact with each other.”

http://www.slashfilm.com/marvel-movie-tv-crossover/

In a "shared" continuity the films will be top dog and TV the sideshow. And unless the shows directly impact the movies, they are not just sideshows, they are also meaningless sideshows. Might as well then do shows about SHIELD's human resource department's summer beach volley tournaments. Makes about as much sense as a whole as AoS.

Although, ironically, the one big TV impact designed for the overall MCU - Inhumans - is now almost dead in the water.

DC was 100% right in separating the TV and film continuities. TV-film "shared continuity" is a weird, asymmetric relationship that still somehow doesn't benefit either department in almost any way. And besides, even with separate continuities you can still do massive multiversal crossovers (like Crisis on Infinite Earths) if need be.

In a "shared" continuity the films will be top dog and TV the sideshow. And unless the shows directly impact the movies, they are not just sideshows, they are also meaningless sideshows. Might as well then do shows about SHIELD's human resource department's summer beach volley tournaments. Makes about as much sense as a whole as AoS.

Although, ironically, the one big TV impact designed for the overall MCU - Inhumans - is now almost dead in the water.

DC was 100% right in separating the TV and film continuities. TV-film "shared continuity" is a weird, asymmetric relationship that still somehow doesn't benefit either department in almost any way. And besides, even with separate continuities you can still do massive multiversal crossovers (like Crisis on Infinite Earths) if need be.

That can be looked at both ways. I NEVER would have watched Agents Of Shield, JJ, DD and any other of those TV shows if they weren't connected to the MCU. I've had several people tell me that's why they watch them as well.

I'm not saying DC did anything wrong with the way they approached their TV/Film continuities. They just haven't really gave me a reason to be interested in their shows. I'm sure somewhere down the line I'll give them a watch, but I have no interest in them at the moment.

I'm done worrying about any TV/Film crossovers. If it happens, it happens. If it doesn't, it doesn't.

I'm fine with the way things are right now. Even in the comics you don't get monthly crossovers between characters.

I just can't see a characters like Skye popping up in any of the solo movies without it feeling forced. How can you naturally explain her appearance in Ironman or Thor?

The solos movies are written around ONE character. They have there own supporting cast, the last thing they need are jarring cameo's from characters that are part of a different form of media.

Maybe they can cameo for the big crossover movies like Infinity war, but I won't lose sleep if they never show up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"