Should Disney create a Marvel Channel?

Hmm...

It sounds cool, but there's just not enough content. The Netflix shows only work because they're exclusive to Netflix, that's why Netflix is putting big money down for them. If people could get Netflix content elsewhere, Netflix wouldn't pay money for it, and Netflix subscribers without cable would feel cheated out of their shows if they moved. Not a good look.

24 Hours of Content, right?
- Two Marvel films per day: 6 hours
- Twelve Cartoon episodes per day: 6 hours
- "Prime time" shows: Agents of SHIELD, Agent Carter, lots of new series: 2 hours
- Commentary/Superhero Talk Shows: 1 Hour

I can only really pull 15 hours per day, and that's with them making 6-10 brand new shows, which is incredibly expensive for superheroes vs cooking or looking at homes or anything reality-based. And that's not considering that the number of movies available is limited, and doesn't change much from quarter to quarter, and then you've got issues with using Fox and Sony's content. Universal still has some distribution rights I believe as well.

Even a full all-encompassing Superhero Channel could be under some real difficulty, all complicated by the fact that people can get superheroes everywhere, especially online and superheroes on its own doesn't allow for very diverse content.
this

WWE has 50 years and many thousands of hours of programming to put on it. They also have the rights to most of their competitors (WCW, ECW, AWA, WCCW, Mid-South, Mid-Atlantic, etc.).

And despite that WWE has lost millions of dollars on the Network so far.
and this

It wouldn't be a bad idea. We have decades of TV animated TV shows and movies. Although granted a lot of them aren't a very good quality due to aging. They still might pull in a crowd.

Plus it might not have to just show Marvel products, they could show other action-oriented Disney shows and movies like Star Wars.

This would work better as a subscription service on Marvel.com

Looks like a lot of Debbie Downers here.:hehe:

It sounded like the idea might be for a Marvel/Star Wars network,which might be a better idea to keep some variety in there. But, I agree that there are certainly enough old cartoon series to keep the network afloat for most of the day. Getting most of the old series/movies together for regular viewing would be great.

Of course, new content will be made for the channel and therein lies the rub. It sort of reminds me of Cartoon Network. They started out showing old stuff you don't see anymore, then the channel became predominately new content (Dexter's Leb, Johnny Bravo,Etc) and all the old classics moved off to Boomerang, which in turn after 10 years time,moved on from Huckleberry Hound & Quickdraw Mcgraw and are now showing the Johnny Bravo/Dexter's Lab repeats.

I can imagine the same being true for a Marvel channel. They'll start with Spidey & his Amazing Friends,etc, shown twice a day,for the first couple years,then by the 5th year,it'll be all new content- probably a few live shows from the fringe (Dum Dum & his Howling Commandos, perchance? :awesome:) plus likely reruns of AOS & Agent Carter.

It will get boring very fast and if people have netflix why would they bother watching? For new content ok, thats what 2 shows a week maybe? Easier to just sell to Netflix and take a cut in the profits.

A Marvel channel would likely house all new Marvel programming post these netflix shows. But as I said,for the initial years,it would consist of oldies and one or two fledgling new shows,but once it hits it's stride it would be the breeding ground of new Marvel shows. It's the format for Cartoon Network,Disney XD and several others.

A Marvel channel would likely house all new Marvel programming post these netflix shows. But as I said,for the initial years,it would consist of oldies and one or two fledgling new shows,but once it hits it's stride it would be the breeding ground of new Marvel shows. It's the format for Cartoon Network,Disney XD and several others.

:up:

They could air retro marvel cartoons like spidey and his amazing friends as well as live action ones like The Incredible Hulk. Also, I see no reason why it couldn't air Star Wars. It's a marvel title now. So clone wars, Rebels.

And don't forget movies, they can play all of the MCU films, Star Wars, as well as the fox and sony films (if they wanted too).

I said yes but it's not a hard yes. I'd rather just see more reruns of old TV shows like Lou Ferrigno's Incredible Hulk and the 90s animated universe on existing Walt Disney channels/streaming on Netflix along with Netflix streaming of old MCU films.

IMO, there's room to go with existing platforms for new IP. Runaways can air on ABC Family since that's a property that's easily marketed as a teen drama.

And I feel like there's enough room on Netflix for more TV shows based around the NYC heroes to grow into Phase 4 that would all be different enough to keep them from getting stale.

Moon Knight would be a trippy psychological mystery TV show similar to Twin Peaks where the audience never knows what to expect next with the added twist that anything seen or heard may have been a hallucination and key developments are able to be retconned in the next episode.

She-Hulk would be a straight up legal comedy with bizzarre humor and superpowers mixed with cheesy special effects. The whole point of the show would be that Jennifer Walters is a super strong liability lawyer who handles the property damage that the various superheroes cause. There would be villains like Titania who would show up to do battle but most of the time the villains would be Damage Control who are suing various heroes for vandalism after buildings get destroyed by super battles. All this combined with a snarky protagonist who breaks the fourth wall and you have a series which is different from anything else on the market.

Punisher would be like Dexter but somehow even darker. The only glimpse of levity would be absolute pitch black humor with the ultimate message being that society doesn't need people like Frank Castle.

The answer is no. You can't really launch a traditional TV channel anymore. It's got to be a streaming service like Netflix or something.

Looks like a lot of Debbie Downers here.:hehe:

It sounded like the idea might be for a Marvel/Star Wars network,which might be a better idea to keep some variety in there. But, I agree that there are certainly enough old cartoon series to keep the network afloat for most of the day. Getting most of the old series/movies together for regular viewing would be great.

102329-Sherlock-thank-you-thank-you-g-UmLj.gif

Its sounds like a great idea in theory. A channel devoted to strictly Marvel/Star Wars content. But Disney already have existing platforms for this and the deal with Netflix streaming programming and films in the future. They are adamant in promoting its XD channel for male teens as well as younger kids and the Marvel/Star wars animated shows are perfectly suited for that. The more serious mature stuff like DD are on Netflix where it belongs.

All that old stuff like 70's Hulk Amazing Spiderman cartoon or even the 90s stuff is for us older crowds. Its on netflix. If I want to see that stuff I can watch every episode any time I want there. I don't think its an ideal situation for Disney to consider.

Sure, why not.

Absolutely not. Marvel's going to destroy the cinema with its bloated slate. There is no reason to tank television.

:whatever:

IMO it's the rest that can go to hell. Marvel's the only reason I even still care about movies/TV for the most part.

I'd say wait 10 more years when the Marvel tv library is enormous.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"