Should Punisher get a TV show

Always thought the white gloves and boots look was sort of silly for a character like Punisher.

Always thought the white gloves and boots look was sort of silly for a character like Punisher.

Haha yeah they should never go back to that. But I'd prefer something a little more than a skull T-shirt, like in the Thomas Jane film. Stevenson's suit in War Zone was great... Shame the movie was so awful.

I don't want to sound like a negative nelly, so I've held off posting in here for awhile, but I just want to voice my unpopular opinion that no, I don't think Punisher should get a TV show.

He's had 2 non-MCU films (one I liked, one I didn't), so I'm happy with the MCU bringing in other characters before we get him again. I especially think it's weird that I keep seeing people on other sites (and on this site too) putting Punisher in their wishlist for DD season 2, alongside Bullseye and Elektra. As if Frank Castle is a DD supporting character. I'd really prefer DD characters to take priority over Punisher in DD's show.

I mean, if he did get a show, I wouldn't complain, but I'm in no way hurting without him being in the MCU.

the TV show should have a high budget and have lots of C-list villains who can be bumped off. Pull from Scourge's hit list, for starters.

For me he has to be ex special forces. Used to doing black ops and assassinations for the government. It has got to be part of his psyche that sometimes the ends justify the means and you need to go beyond the law. Sometimes to the point where you are not sure anymore who the bad guy is.
When his family is killed he reverts to that mind set and launches all out war on crime. Partly because it's what he knows but partly because it's all he has left. If he didn't he would probably put the gun in his mouth and blow his own brains out.
Part of the story can be other people trying to help him out of this mindset. They either fail or are killed along the way. Driving him deeper.

I like this idea. Heck, maybe if they ever have flashbacks of Frank during his special forces days, perhaps they could have a little Easter Egg of him being approached by Shield agents for a job, but he declines.

But, yes, I would love to see a Punisher TV show on Netflix within the MCU universe. I would also love to see a Hitgirl/Bigdaddy TV show on Netflix as well. Come on, Hitgirl, Big Daddy, Punisher and DareDevil, kicking ass in the same scene! What could be cooler than that?

How about Thomas Jane as Frank Castle again?

He's probably too old now, but I personally liked him in the role, but you know them comic book fanbabies didn't like him, so he's out.

Too bad Michael Fassbender is strictly movies and already tied with a Marvel comic book character, he could've fit.

He's probably too violent to be the lead anymore even on TV, seeing as Marvel's new Disney policy is no R rated films.

DD is probably as far as things can be pushed with a Marvel property and Punisher would arguably need to be further than that as he's a much more hardcore character than DD. He sets out to Kill.

I can see him with a supporting role however.

just watched The Purge: Anarchy and i can see why many believe that Frank Grillo would be an awesome Frank Castle/Punisher

he pretty much played the part in The Purge. too bad he's already Crossbones but i honestly would not be against it if he played two characters in the MCU

just watched The Purge: Anarchy and i can see why many believe that Frank Grillo would be an awesome Frank Castle/Punisher

he pretty much played the part in The Purge. too bad he's already Crossbones but i honestly would not be against it if he played two characters in the MCU

Same, I watched it last week and have also seen people mention Grillo for Frank. He would have been ideal but I wouldn't be in favour of him playing two MCU characters.

Holt McCallany for me, make Frank a Gulf War 1 vet, do his origin in flashback(or have Talbot explain it to Murdoch) and make him an ex Shield agent too who has been operating as the Punisher for a long time.

They should have had a Punisher show than some forgettable ppl like Iron Fist and Jessica Jones.

They should have had a Punisher show than some forgettable ppl like Iron Fist and Jessica Jones.

*rollseyes* Because rather than a mystic warrior with an elaborate mythos, or a burnt out super-private detective in a world filled with weird, you know what we really need?

Angry Dad Who Shoots Guns! That's the ticket!

Also, he got three (IMO) unsuccessful movies. It would make sense to let him sit out for a bit in favor of fresher characters while Marvel evaluates the best way to introduce Punisher in the MCU. My guess would be that a post-Defenders Netflix Punisher series is pretty much a no brainer.

Yes, but I think they should introduce him in Daredevil first, and then give him his own mini-series somewhere along the line.

Last edited:
^

A lot of people have suggested that, but I personally would prefer to introduce him in his own show. Then he can appear on other shows after his core ethos has been established.

Punisher starting off as a supporting character on (say) Daredevil would either come off basically as a villain or would involve a kinda forced, inorganic "team-up".

^

A lot of people have suggested that, but I personally would prefer to introduce him in his own show. Then he can appear on other shows after his core ethos has been established.

Punisher starting off as a supporting character on (say) Daredevil would either come off basically as a villain or would involve a kinda forced, inorganic "team-up".

Agree. Don't think him just turning up would help either his storyline or Daredevils. Let him have his own show first to establish himself. Plenty of time for a crossover later.

DAREDEVIL SEASON TWO

Jon Bernthal IS The Punisher!

Jon Bernthal (“Wolf of Wall Street,” “The Walking Dead, ” “Fury”) joins the upcoming season of “Marvel’s Daredevil,” streaming only on Netflix in 2016!

Bernthal will portray The Punisher, one of Marvel’s most popular characters. He is a vigilante who aims to clean up New York City’s Hell’s Kitchen by any means necessary, no matter how lethal the results.

“Jon Bernthal brings an unmatched intensity to every role he takes on, with a potent blend of power, motivation and vulnerability that will connect with audiences,” said Jeph Loeb, Marvel’s Head of Television. “Castle’s appearance will bring dramatic changes to the world of Matt Murdock and nothing will be the same.”

Bernthal will also appear in the upcoming action thriller “The Accountant.”

“Marvel's Daredevil” is Executive Produced by Doug Petrie (“American Horror Story,” “Buffy The Vampire Slayer”), Marco Ramirez (“Marvel’s Daredevil,” “DaVinci’s Demons”) and Drew Goddard ("Cabin in the Woods," "Lost"), along with Marvel TV's Jeph Loeb ("Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.," "Marvel’s Jessica Jones.”)

"Marvel's Daredevil" is produced by Marvel Television in association with ABC Studios. Season one of “Marvel’s Daredevil” is now streaming on Netflix.

Blinded as a young boy but imbued with extraordinary senses, Matt Murdock (Charlie Cox) fights against injustice by day as a lawyer, and by night as the Super Hero “Daredevil” in modern day Hell's Kitchen, New York City. "Marvel's Daredevil" stars Charlie Cox, Deborah Ann Woll, Elden Henson and Rosario Dawson.

Amazing news

Bernthal is one of my favorite actors. And he's playing one of my favorite comic book characters. Awesome.

Holy ****, another great casting decision by Marvel, Bernthal will make an amazing Punisher! Casting wise Marvel get it so right and this is another notch on their belt!

Perfect Casting and I never even thought of him for the character!

[FONT=Verdana, Arial] Jon Bernthal to Play The Punisher on "Daredevil" Season 2

punisher-social_3.jpg

The "Walking Dead" alum is the latest actor to take on the role of the Punisher, and will debut on season two of "Daredevil" on Netflix.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/a...utm_medium=email&utm_source=breaking_bulletin
[/FONT]

Well looks like we're on the cusp of a Punisher Netflix show! I'd say at the latest after the Defenders team up, at the earliest after season 2 of Daredevil.

“Castle’s appearance will bring dramatic changes to the world of Matt Murdock and nothing will be the same.”

Holy Crap! Just when I thought they couldn't possibly top season one of DD!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
japanorsomewher
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"