Does Anybody Really Care About Steroids In Baseball?

I'll take your word for it... I'm an East coast guy... but people who think Baseball is on the decline just aren't paying attention... or they live in Alabama/Georgia/Florida/Carolina's (Both of them) or Idaho or Oregon or something and worship their college football idols.

Yeah, I agree with you on that.

Honestly. I hear talk of this Mitchum report about the Roids, & I just wonder:

1. Does anyone honestly give a sh**!?

2. Does anyone even care about the skilless game of Baseball anymore anyway?

Baseball is still HUGE. And have you ever tried to hit an 85 mph curveball? It's about as far from "skilless" as you can get.

I dont think anyone has really cared about baseball for years. I dont even think it should be considered the national passtime anymore, as you know, football is about a hundred times more popular.

You can't change a past time.

Also baseball players think too highly of themselves, calling it the "World Series" when only America (and maybe Canada) take part in the league. Also it's the most boring sport alive. All they do is run around bases. The only strategy in the game is batting line-up.

Baseball players don't call it the World Series, Major League baseball does and has for over 100 years. And considering that MLB is the highest level for baseball on Earth, it's fair to call a team that has won it World Champions. Even though all but 1 teams are in the US, the players aren't. There are players from Japan, Dominican Republic, Venezuela, Cuba, Mexico, and some other Latin American countries.

It's the most boring sport alive; golf is. You obviously have no clue as to what you're talking about if you think it it's just running bases and the only strategy is creating a line-up. I don't care for football at all but I'm not dumb enough to say "it's the most boring sport alive. All they do is throw the ball and run. There's no strategy".

Baseball is still HUGE. And have you ever tried to hit an 85 mph curveball? It's about as far from "skilless" as you can get.

So true. Baseball requires so much skill. Pitching is easily one of the most difficult things to do on the planet. Hitting is damn hard too. There are fat, lazy players who play. But few, if any, have had long term success.

You can't change a past time.

Apparently you can. Overall I'd say football is the American pasttime as they have one game, the SuperBowl, which draws more attention than all potential seven games of the World Series.

It's the most boring sport alive; golf is.

Wrong. On two facets.

1) Golf is not, nor was it ever, alive.

2) Golf is a game, not a sport.

Apparently you can. Overall I'd say football is the American pasttime as they have one game, the SuperBowl, which draws more attention than all potential seven games of the World Series.

You can't change a past time. Baseball has been and forever will be the past time. The past time is not what is currently the most popular sport in the country.

Wrong. On two facets.

1) Golf is not, nor was it ever, alive.

2) Golf is a game, not a sport.

I agree, but most people foolishly group golf into the category of sports. I would consider soccer very boring. It's basically hockey but without the fights.

And ice...skates...hockey sticks..rink...puck..and of course being one of the fastest played sportsl. Yeah other than all that, soccer and hockey are practically the same thing.

Really? If it's so skill-less then how come your not on the field making A-rod type money?

Have you ever stepped into a batter box and try hitting a 90mph fastball or how about being on the pitchers mound and try throwing that ball at 90 mph with pin point accuracy? No? Thought so.

Really? If it's so skill-less then how come your not on the field making A-rod type money?

Have you ever stepped into a batter box and try hitting a 90mph fastball or how about being on the pitchers mound and try throwing that ball at 90 mph with pin point accuracy? No? Thought so.

I will answer all this with one simple statement. I don't play baseball, because I am afraid of needles.:o

And ice...skates...hockey sticks..rink...puck..and of course being one of the fastest played sportsl. Yeah other than all that, soccer and hockey are practically the same thing.

Touche. I'm ashamed at doing something I've condemned.

I agree, but most people foolishly group golf into the category of sports. I would consider soccer very boring. It's basically hockey but without the fights.

Have you seen a soccer game? There's more fighting there then there ever was in hockey, and hockey actually doesn't have as many fights anymore.

Here's my opinion on this topic. Nobody cared about baseball after the strike in '94. Then 4 years later two guys put on one of the biggest and most exciting performances in MLB history(Sosa and McGwire) and brought the excitment back in baseball. People starting watching it again. If we were to assume steroids were the cause of this then can we say "steroids saved baseball"? It seems to me that performance-enhancing drugs has had an up-side and down-side. It saved the sport and now it has ruined it. At this point I could care less about it. I think you need to address the matter on who's guilty and take away the individual achievments that people have won and then label '95-'07 as the steroid era in baseball.

I think Peter Boyle said it best on Mind of Mencia before he died:

"I'm sick of hearing about baseball players taking steroids. If they want to take them and lessen the size of their testicles, I say let them--I'll be able to watch some good sports, and I'll be able to keep my huge balls!"

Here's my opinion on this topic. Nobody cared about baseball after the strike in '94. Then 4 years later two guys put on one of the biggest and most exciting performances in MLB history(Sosa and McGwire) and brought the excitment back in baseball. People starting watching it again. If we were to assume steroids were the cause of this then can we say "steroids saved baseball"? It seems to me that performance-enhancing drugs has had an up-side and down-side. It saved the sport and now it has ruined it. At this point I could care less about it. I think you need to address the matter on who's guilty and take away the individual achievments that people have won and then label '95-'07 as the steroid era in baseball.

You really believe that the fans wouldn't have come back after the strike? You honestly believe that they needed that Sosa-McGuire circus? I think you underestimate the fans. The only fans that were affected long term by the strike were White Sox fans, because that year the White Sox had a chance to win the World Series, they had a great team and they had a real shot at finally winning it all. And then their owner, Jerry Reinsdorf, plays probably one of the biggest parts in making the strike happen and BAM its over. After that it was never the same again. Things changed forever. Attendance was never the same, it wasn't a Cubs dominated city before the strike, it was REAL bad after the strike. In the last few years it has gotten better with them finally winning in 05' but it still won't ever get to what it was before, not now. Its too late. A lot of fans will never forgive Reinsdorf.

I love baseball, I'm a huge Reds and Bluejays fan, it does bother me thay steroids are such a big part of baseball. I don't believe you become a better hitter, the ball may go farthur, but it will not help with timing, now, it might help with pitching, getting more velocity.
Will this report change anything, no I doubt it, becuase the players were un-cooperative in the investigation, much of the evidence was hearsay and wouldn't stand up in a court of law, but the names didn't really surprises me.
I guess time will tell if this will make any difference.

It does make you a better player. Think about it, they already have the skills necessary to play in the Majors, now they are adding on to that. It speeds up recovery time, and like you said "the ball may go further" well that equals more home runs, more hits on your stats, which people go by to see how good of a hitter you are. And Gary Matthews Jr is not that good. Not half as good as his contract says he is.

The reason people are bothered by steroids in baseball is because, unlike other sports, baseball is still pretty much the same game now as it was 100 years ago. The field is the same, the rules are more or less the same, and baseball itself has always been sold as a sport of history and tradition. Who won the NFL Championship in 1927, or for that matter in 1997? No one knows, no once cares. Football isn't about history, it's about the present and the future. But almost any baseball fan will say that the 1927 "Murderer's Row" Yankees were possibly the greatest team of all time. And that's why the steroid scandal exists in baseball; because even though Barry Bonds doesn't play the exact same game that Babe Ruth, or more accurately, that Henry Aaron played, baseball has forever sold the illusion that he does.

History and records are the backbone of baseball. In other sports, they don't matter as much, if at all.

Steroids can cause a ripple effect regardless of the sport.....guys get bigger in the pros, therefore the college athletes think they have to get bigger.....and it
trickles down.....I dont know about you guys but I dont want to walk into my 13 yo room and see him "cycling" just to get size for jayvee football....I'm not a parent, but I wouldnt want that for my kid

i don't really care and i don't see the big deal anyways.

to me people who use them still use thier skills, its not like any guy who hasn't played baseball before can take steroids and bat 700 homeruns or whatever the record is.

I guarantee you Bonds would have never gotten to Aaron's record without steroids/HGH.

I guarantee you Bonds would have never gotten to Aaron's record without steroids/HGH.

Exactly, watch some of Bonds hitting from last year he hit SOO many pop-ups that went to like the warning track. Enhancers gave him the extra power to get it over the wall. I'm not saying he couldn't hit naturally, I'm just saying he couldn't hit for power naturally, not to the extent that he has.

Oh yeah, he was always one of the best hitters in the game, like his persona or not, he is one of the greatest hitters of all time. But what he has done in what should have been the twilight of his career is just synthetic. Nobody can put up those kind of numbers. He basically stole MVP awards along the way as well, just like Giambi.

Yeah, I agree. The same goes for Roger Clemens. He was shot when he left Boston.

Honestly. I hear talk of this Mitchum report about the Roids, & I just wonder:

1. Does anyone honestly give a sh**!?

If you think baseball is skill-less, you've never watched it.

And I didn't care too much until I saw Wally Joyner on the list of players in the report. Ow, my childhood :(.

Yup. I know I'm probably wrong on this but at age 30 didn't Barry Bonds only have about 300 hundred homeruns? Then he goes on a tear in his late 30's? Yeah right. He would of gone down as a great player, home run recored or not. He's just selfish.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joelschmole
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"