• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

The Amazing Spider-Man 2 does peter actually show intelligence?

Peter seems like his least intelligent in this movie. He uses silly Youtube videos to help him figure out a battery. Gwen points out a simple solution to him based on a High School Science experiment.

Andrew Garfield is completely unconvincing playing the nerdy Peter Parker. His character is too hipster.

You seem to have a major problem with the fact Peter was given a tip to get around the exploding battery problem.
Peter clearly went down one route to solve the problem and was so intent on solving the problem he was oblivious to the simplier more obvious solution. What's the big deal?

You say he doesn't know 8th grade science. What exactly do you mean by that? The YouTube video? So what if he went to YT for a pointer, that doesn't make him any less intelligent. Again, webshooters, Richard Parker's equation.

:up:

Where does Peter get the knowledge from if he doesn't look it up or study it?

You have to learn stuff from somewhere before you can make it work for you, but studying something and then being able to using it is hardly dumb or lacking in intelligence

I gather many think he should be automatically super intelligent and know how to do everything

Last edited:
So who knew that if you run a strong enough current through a battery the battery explodes? I did not know that.

I think if Peter looked up electricity information in a book or different source than youtube it would have made a difference

Good point.

They definitely wanted to be very 2014.

So who knew that if you run a strong enough current through a battery the battery explodes? I did not know that.

*Slowly puts hand up*

I think if Peter looked up electricity information in a book or different source than youtube it would have made a difference

Yeah, let's pull no punches, it was just exposition, hip, modern, with the times exposition

Also,I don't know if Peter could turn the switch and trap Electro at the same time.

The "youtube" video was used for comic relief too, as I remember the audience laughing at it

Last edited:
Yeah, it was pretty funny.

When he set the web on fire and all. :lmao:

Yeah, the two little puffs from the fire extinguisher got a few laughs!

Not only that, but the film makers most likely weren't being serious on showing Peter's "intelligence" through that scene. It mocks modern-day society and how we research things

i'm glad that you enjoy that scene but thayt scene hurts me. yeah, peter has been an idiot in the comics but not that much of an idiot. i wonder what the original cut was.

i'm glad that you enjoy that scene but thayt scene hurts me. yeah, peter has been an idiot in the comics but not that much of an idiot. i wonder what the original cut was.

Lol, oh the scene sucks at showing his intelligence, I was just trying to reason with others' responses and opinions

I think it shows that I'm just dumb. Because with the YT video, for me, the scene would have played out like this;

Peter would have attached the web to the battery, run a current through it and the battery would explode. So I would be thinking has he just created a weapon?
Obviously I would have got it when Peter tells Gwen his method didn't work, that's when it would have clicked for me.

So the YouTube was purely an exposition tool. The next workshop scene can be totally meta.

*Spidey wants to track Mysterio*

*Peter in the workshop watches a YouTube video*

YouTube - 'This is how you create a Spider Tracer'

*Peter gets to works on the tracer*

^
I don't think that watching a video to learn how to build Spider-Tracers is a good idea. I mean, Pete managed to build a web shooter on his own. Spider-Tracers should be nothing compared to that.

^
I don't think that watching a video to learn how to build Spider-Tracers is a good idea. I mean, Pete managed to build a web shooter on his own. Spider-Tracers should be nothing compared to that.

It was a (bad) joke.

It's still not easy to re-engineer a device electrically simply by watching a youtube video.

For a teenager to do it in a matter of hours is impressive.

We've come a long way from Parker shooting body fluid from his wrist with no way of adapting his webbing to combat unique villain abilities.

The YouTube video only told Peter (and us) the problem he was facing i.e. when you run enough electrical current through a battery it explodes. The YT video gave Peter no clue how to get around the problem.

An exaggeration but that would be like Peter watching a YouTube video 'saying getting from one side of New York to the other is really time consuming', Peter going away to invent web shooters and then people complaining a genius like Peter shouldn't need a YouTube video.

Neil I like your explanations :)

It would be pretty difficult to come up with something original though. The Spider-Tracers are a cool gadget, but it's pretty "generic".

Neil I like your explanations :)

It would be pretty difficult to come up with something original though. The Spider-Tracers are a cool gadget, but it's pretty "generic".

Thanks, Melvin :)

I'm hoping the tracers are the next big invention. The 'workshop' has become a staple of the Webb movies like the 'end swing' was a staple of the Raimi movies. So the next logical invention are the Spider-Tracers.

A cool idea would be if the villain was Mysterio and he disappears in puffs of smoke Spidey can't take him down. So when Mysterio turns up at the Bugle to say he has defeated Spider-Man, Peter places a tracer on him.

Now using the example of the YouTube video to show the audience that running a strong enough current explodes batteries. If Peter got to work inventing the tracers in what manner would the movie give the audience exposition that Peter is inventing a device that allows him to track his enemies?

If tracers are off the table then another cool device for Peter to make is the Spider-Signal to shine on crooks before he takes them out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevezorz
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"