Dune: Prophecy

“Since every individual is accountable ultimately to the self, the formation of that self demands our utmost care and attention.”

Cool, I like him. I was suppose there had to be one boy in the cast lol.
Mark Strong is also pretty much confirmed as he's tagged in the same Instagram post alongside other cast and crew members who'll be in the show, including Jihae, Gizem Erdogan and Sigur Rós's Jonsi who will apparently do the score for the series.

‘Dune: The Sisterhood’ Director Johan Renck & Star Shirley Henderson Exit HBO Max Series – Deadline
HBO Max‘s Dune prequel TV series’ long journey to the screen is taking another turn. Dune: The Sisterhood (wt), which started production in late November, is undergoing a creative shift, a director change and a recasting.

Chernobyl executive producer Johan Renck, who had signed on to direct the first two episodes, has exited the project. Search is underway for his replacement as production has been put on hold. Shirley Henderson, who had been tapped as one of the leads, also is leaving. Her role as Tula Harkonnen will be recast. That is in addition to creator Diane Ademu-John, who had written the pilot script, stepping down as co-showrunner in the run-up to production, with veteran TV writer-producer Alison Schapker becoming sole showrunner of the Legendary-produced series.

“As Dune: The Sisterhood (wt) has entered a pre-scheduled hiatus, there are some creative changes being made to the production in an effort to create the best series possible and stay true to the source material,” an HBO Max spokesperson said in a statement to Deadline. “Johan Renck has completed his work on the series and a new director will be brought on; through mutual agreement, Johan is moving on to pursue other projects. Additionally, Shirley Henderson will be exiting the series and will no longer be playing Tula Harkonnen.”

The streamer had no further comment. According to sources, the 11th hour showrunner change put pressure on Schapker and her team to make major rewrites on the fly as the series was beginning production in Budapest. Meanwhile, we hear Renck’s auteur approach did not jibe with the streamer’s vision for the series and was a departure from the look of Denis Villeneuve’s films, which led to his departure. (He has since deleted any Dune content from his Instagram account, including his Nov. 22 post announcing start of production.) It is unclear whether any of the footage he filmed will be used in the series; that would be largely up to the new director when they come on board.

We hear conflicting views on the current hiatus. While sources close to the production insist there had always been a plan to stop filming for the winter months, others indicate that production has been pushed by seven months to give Schapker and her team time to put their creative stamp by reworking the scripts as well as to find a new director.

So they'll be on their third showrunner now and it isn't even done filming yet.

First they lose the showrunner and then the director and star, while making major rewrites during production. I'm rooting for the show but feels like a complete train wreck. Does it mean that they'll have to reshoot everything after these departures? Big oof.

Jeff Sneider pointed out on Rocha's Hot Mic show that Deadline listed "Dune: The Sisterhood" as a working title.

“As Dune: The Sisterhood (wt) has entered a pre-scheduled hiatus, there are some creative changes being made to the production in an effort to create the best series possible and stay true to the source material,” an HBO Max spokesperson said"

Huh? What source material? If they are referring to the novel, other than the Harkonnen sisters none of the other characters names they have released have ever existed in the Dune universe.

Eh, hopefully this means Denis is finishing up to 2 and has more time on his hands to oversee this.

First they lose the showrunner and then the director and star, while making major rewrites during production. I'm rooting for the show but feels like a complete train wreck. Does it mean that they'll have to reshoot everything after these departures? Big oof.
It's definitely messy, but if they find the right talent to replace them, it could be a blessing in disguise. We've been hearing a lot about a rushed production, clashing creative visions, and last-minute rewrites. This hiatus could actually allow them to refocus and work out some of those problems. It's been a rocky road though.

It's definitely messy, but if they find the right talent to replace them, it could be a blessing in disguise. We've been hearing a lot about a rushed production, clashing creative visions, and last-minute rewrites. This hiatus could actually allow them to refocus and work out some of those problems. It's been a rocky road though.
Theoretically yes, but the show already went into production so they'll have to speed things up to get it back on track soon, especially if they don't want to lose all of their remaining actors due to scheduling conflicts, so I don't have much confidence that they won't rush it because of this. Otherwise they'll have to cancel it and start from scratch and I don't see them spending all that money. Having Alison Schapker as the new showrunner doesn't help either.

Theoretically yes, but the show already went into production so they'll have to speed things up to get it back on track soon, especially if they don't want to lose all of their remaining actors due to scheduling conflicts, so I don't have much confidence that they won't rush it because of this. Otherwise they'll have to cancel it and start from scratch and I don't see them spending all that money. Having Alison Schapker as the new showrunner doesn't help either.
Some of the rumors mentioned it would be a seven-month production break before they resume, but that's likely still up in the air. I obviously don't have super high hopes with all the problems they've had. Just saying, if it wasn't working, them taking a break to reevaluate could be good long-term.

Some of the rumors mentioned it would be a seven-month production break before they resume, but that's likely still up in the air. I obviously don't have super high hopes with all the problems they've had. Just saying, if it wasn't working, them taking a break to reevaluate could be good long-term.
Well, you could be right and just to be clear, even though people on the internet were trashing it from the beginning for being a Brian Herbert adaptation I was always cautiously optimistic about the production even after the second showrunner change a day after filming, back in November. But there are just too many red flags now.

The seven month hiatus is what troubles me even more because it could indeed be a good thing, but it also says that the script is really bad if it needs that much reworking. And it would be one thing to start from scratch and have all the time in the world to develop a new one before going into production and another to know they are reshaping something that clearly didn't work and they'd probably resume production regardless how good the final product is, because they already have invested too much money in it. Also good luck keeping this cast for over a year when and if this thing finally finishes shooting.

And the reason they gave for Renck's departure troubles me a bit, to be honest. I fear they'd want to follow the safe route of a Villeneuve clone product but without him to actually direct the first episode like they initially had in mind. I want this to stand on its own feet and while connected to the movies to still manage to have its own identity. I really hope they're not going the MCU route, where pretty much every entry has the exact same tone and style and where the producers are in charge instead of the directors and screenwriters who barely have enough creative freedom to develop a project.

Hopefully I'm wrong and it will turn out good.

I'm surprised they haven't canceled this yet and I'm curious how it will end up being.

Every replacement we've been hearing, outside Williams, is a big step down from the original choice, especially in the crew department. With the WGA strike not ending any time soon, I'm sure we'll hear many more people leaving due to scheduling conflicts.

‘Dune: The Sisterhood’ Production To Resume In Hungary, Continue Through Strikes – Deadline

‘Dune: The Sisterhood’ Soon To Resume Production In Hungary Following Winter Hiatus, Will Continue Throughout Strikes
EXCLUSIVE: Max’s Dune prequel series Dune: The Sisterhood is set to relaunch production in Budapest “any day now” and will continue throughout the course of the WGA and SAG strikes, a source close to the show tells Deadline.
The series thus takes the path of House of the Dragon and Industry, given that, like those HBO titles, which we reported on earlier in the day, The Sisterhood is under contract with British Equity, with some from SAG-AFTRA also in the mix. And per guidance from the actors guild stateside, members working under Equity contracts are to “continue to report.” SAG card carriers working on Equity productions may choose to boycott but, due to tough anti-strike laws in the UK, studios would be able to sue them directly to force them back on to set.
The Sisterhood resumes production following a November launch, leading into a hiatus that always was planned, our source tells us. The show also notably lost director Johan Renck, creator and pilot writer Diane Ademu-John (as co-showrunner) and stars Shirley Henderson and Indira Varma earlier this year, though the departures were unrelated. Olivia Williams has taken over Henderson’s role as Tula Harkonnen, with Jodhi May in for Varma as Natalya, and Anna Foerster stepping in for Renck as director of multiple episodes. The show co-produced by Max and Legendary Television now has Alison Schapker as its sole showrunner.

Set in the sci-fi universe of Frank Herbert’s Dune, which has been mined of late by filmmaker Denis Villeneuve for two Timothée Chalamet-led films (including one arriving this fall), Dune: The Sisterhood also draws on the novel Sisterhood of Dune, written by Brian Herbert and Kevin J. Anderson. It’s set 10,000 years before the ascension of Paul Atreides and follows the Harkonnen Sisters as they combat forces that threaten the future of humankind, establishing the fabled sect known as the Bene Gesserit.

Also starring in the show are Emily Watson, Sarah-Sofie Boussnina, Shalom Brune Franklin, Faoileann Cunningham, Aoife Hinds, Chloe Lea, Travis Fimmel, Mark Strong, Jade Anouka and Chris Mason. Exec producers are Ademu-John, Schapker, Villeneuve, Jon Spaihts, Scott Z. Burns, Matthew King, John Cameron, Mark Tobey and Jordan Goldberg, as well as Brian Herbert and with Byron Merritt and Kim Herbert on behalf of the Frank Herbert estate. Kevin J. Anderson is serving as co-producer.

They paused shooting for the same reason the previous director and showrunner left. To do a massive script revision. How exactly did they manage to do that while the WGA strike was ongoing and how will it continue filming without the new showrunner being able to perform her duties? I'm guessing they just want to be done with it no matter the end result. Jeez, this production was a hot steaming mess even before the strike...

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohkeelay
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"