Dungeons & Flagons 3: The Search For Spock

Eddie Brock

Golden Domer
Reaction score
Really? There isn't a strictly Marvel RPG anymore? Even after The Avengers made 157 bajillion dollars*?

*Numbers may be inaccurate.

:cmad: You came back and broke the ****ing thread!

I think that's the right number. Bajillion is a tricky unit of measure to use.

You want a Marvel RPG, go for it. I would say try and do something different than base it off current comic canon. People don't seem to go for that anymore.

I'd go for an All-Star approach. Last one burned out way too quickly.

You want a Marvel RPG, go for it. I would say try and do something different than base it off current comic canon. People don't seem to go for that anymore.
True, but I don't see a starting-from-scratch Marvel RPG working, either. Too much overlap with the people starting-from-scratch as Marvel characters in One Earth. The only third option I can think of is movie continuity? But that only resolves the origins of the Avengers, since we would be ignoring non-Marvel Studios continuity.

I've had a concept for a Marvel RPG brewing that's neither All-Star nor strictly 616, but mirrors the idea of classic Marvel canon. Basically, just 10 years into the Marvel Universe, vague continuity, some major stuff happened, some didn't. Everything would be deemed fit and unfit by GMs instead of players, so there'd be no confusion.

Personally, I think it's time to move away from the 'back to the beginning' stuff for awhile. UDC and OE already cover that ground well enough.

No, I came back, and the thread wasn't wide enough to contain my awesome. :cmad:

Unlike YO MAMMA!

55f2qf.jpg

Last edited:
True, but I don't see a starting-from-scratch Marvel RPG working, either. Too much overlap with the people starting-from-scratch as Marvel characters in One Earth. The only third option I can think of is movie continuity? But that only resolves the origins of the Avengers, since we would be ignoring non-Marvel Studios continuity.

OE really isn't a start over though. Mostly just a pick up and start playing with the known origins.

I've had a concept for a Marvel RPG brewing that's neither All-Star nor strictly 616, but mirrors the idea of classic Marvel canon. Basically, just 10 years into the Marvel Universe, vague continuity, some major stuff happened, some didn't. Everything would be deemed fit and unfit by GMs instead of players, so there'd be no confusion.

Personally, I think it's time to move away from the 'back to the beginning' stuff for awhile. UDC and OE already cover that ground well enough.

I'm interested.

I could see that working. I mean, my idea was an All-Star where origin stories weren't "banned," per say, but strongly discouraged. You want to tell it in flashbacks? Fine. But an RPG won't get past the starting stages if everyone's doing their own thing for the first three months, and that's what origins create - joint fan-fiction instead of role-playing.

:BA

OE really isn't a start over though. Mostly just a pick up and start playing with the known origins.
Fair, but there's a necessary retreading of the origins, which would diminish people's enthusiasm about doing it in a Marvel RPG, is my point.

I could see that working. I mean, my idea was an All-Star where origin stories weren't "banned," per say, but strongly discouraged. You want to tell it in flashbacks? Fine. But an RPG won't get past the starting stages if everyone's doing their own thing for the first three months, and that's what origins create - joint fan-fiction instead of role-playing.

Yeah, and that's a policy that a Year 10-style RPG could adopt aswell. Say you're playing Spider-Man, and you want to reference Gwen Stacy's death, but the Brand New Day stuff is certainly not on your priorities list. Well, fair enough. In a decision made by the player and approved by the GMs, Peter is still married to Mary Jane. Case closed.

Honestly, past events should never dictate where an RPG's going. It's about doing new stuff with the characters and pushing ahead with new storylines and a player-created status quo. That's how the original Marvel RPG worked, and that worked out for many years. Just simplify it, and stop worrying about continuity. That's never done any game any favors.

That's basically what we did with OE. Andy and MST3K were the only ones that did true origin stories with Spidey and Hulk. Everyone else just kind of jumped in with their characters. I think it worked out pretty well for the game considering it's been moving along at a good pace.

Whelp, it's a new day, and a new Flagons.

Time to crank out the cocaine and strippers!

:liz:

Yeah, and that's a policy that a Year 10-style RPG could adopt aswell. Say you're playing Spider-Man, and you want to reference Gwen Stacy's death, but the Brand New Day stuff is certainly not on your priorities list. Well, fair enough. In a decision made by the player and approved by the GMs, Peter is still married to Mary Jane. Case closed.

Honestly, past events should never dictate where an RPG's going. It's about doing new stuff with the characters and pushing ahead with new storylines and a player-created status quo. That's how the original Marvel RPG worked, and that worked out for many years. Just simplify it, and stop worrying about continuity. That's never done any game any favors.
So continuity would only be comics-based, or could players decide that Norman Osborn killed Peter's parents (to pick a random example) and have it be passed?

So continuity would only be comics-based, or could players decide that Norman Osborn killed Peter's parents (to pick a random example) and have it be passed?

I was thinking comic-based. It would be a simple matter of rummaging through the history of each character from the beginning of 616 and sort of shifting through which event happened and which didn't. I think that's honestly the main problem. People don't really like the continuity of the last decade, but are too afraid to start so far back that it's virtually unrecognizeable. My solution is to simply do it as if it's "classic" Marvel, in that it's a Marvel everyone recognizes and can get along with, continuity wise.

I was thinking comic-based. It would be a simple matter of rummaging through the history of each character from the beginning of 616 and sort of shifting through which event happened and which didn't. I think that's honestly the main problem. People don't really like the continuity of the last decade, but are too afraid to start so far back that it's virtually unrecognizeable. My solution is to simply do it as if it's "classic" Marvel, in that it's a Marvel everyone recognizes and can get along with, continuity wise.
That's fair. I really think something like that could work, because it would thrust people right into the action and still give them the leeway to (re)tell the stories they always wanted to tell.

I was thinking comic-based. It would be a simple matter of rummaging through the history of each character that's happened from the beginning of 616 and sort of shifting through which event happened and which didn't. I think that's honestly the main problem. People don't really like the continuity of the last decade, but are too afraid to start so far back that it's virtually unrecognizeable. My solution is to simply do it as if it's "classic" Marvel, in that it's a Marvel everyone recognizes and can get along with, continuity wise.

I think that works. I'm putting my foot down and saying **** Civil War.

Out of all the games, sadly the Marvel ones have the worst track record. Which is funny since how much the OU games and OE seems to embrace Marvel stuff. Without loyal new blood, I think you guys are setting yourself up to get disappointed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hames
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"