Sequels Dunst talks Spider-Man 4

Daniel Radcliff and Co. probably aren't making 10-15 million a film so its cheaper...

Spider-man movies make more money though so, whatever.

I just don't see why so many people are so naive to think that these actors just want to do the same thing over and over again for 15 years straight...

It's not that at all. But you know this whole movement against Dunst is just stupid and astounding to me. To me they've made it clear if they like the direction of the story and the right players are there and the work maintains it's integrity, they will come back, and I like that. I can also certainly understand wanting to do other things and other roles. Dykstra won an Academy Award and decided it was time to move on from Spider-man. And I get that.

But that doesn't change the fact that I want them to stay in their roles. That's why I got on my knees and begged them not to leave the franchise at Comic Con.

its ludicrous... I don't want to see a 35 year old Parker...

Why? People get old you know. Why can't Spider-man be *GASP* 35. Good God. Actors have been playing roles younger than what they are for years. I seen no reason that Maguire can't play this role at 35, and I doubt people will be yelling and moaning, "OMG! A 35 YEAR OLD IS PLAYING SPIDEY! I CAN'T LIVE ANYMORE!" This has to be one of the stupidest arguments I've ever heard.

Dunst is still young but she is losing interest as well... the actors are getting old... at some point you need to move on.

I don't understand this. I mean we all love Bale as Batman right? Wouldn't we want Bale and the rest of that cast to stay on for as many movies as possible as long as they maintain the quality and everything?

If they change the entire creative team and actors for this series, I might just move on, and away from it.

Spider-man movies make more money though so, whatever.

Um.... no... HP makes a ton more WW

It's not that at all. But you know this whole movement against Dunst is just stupid and astounding to me. To me they've made it clear if they like the direction of the story and the right players are there and the work maintains it's integrity, they will come back, and I like that. I can also certainly understand wanting to do other things and other roles. Dykstra won an Academy Award and decided it was time to move on from Spider-man. And I get that.

I am cool if the actors want to continue their roles for a fourth installment... but for a fifth and sixth? There isn't anything anyone can say that will convince me that this group is in for that kind of comittment. And we all know how many movies Sony wants. Rather than sacrificing the continuity of the next three sequels... they should start from scratch... besides only Conner's character (and maybe the Stacy's) from the first trilogy is incomplete so its not like they have millions of new and interesting stories to work from from the original three

But that doesn't change the fact that I want them to stay in their roles. That's why I got on my knees and begged them not to leave the franchise at Comic Con.

Why? People get old you know. Why can't Spider-man be *GASP* 35. Good God. Actors have been playing roles younger than what they are for years. I seen no reason that Maguire can't play this role at 35, and I doubt people will be yelling and moaning, "OMG! A 35 YEAR OLD IS PLAYING SPIDEY! I CAN'T LIVE ANYMORE!" This has to be one of the stupidest arguments I've ever heard.

You are probably an avid reader of the comics more so than myself... Peter Parker is meant to be a young adult no older than 30... Tobey is gonna age... besides the franchise needs a fresh face... ala Batman Begins and Superman returns... now replace him with a guy like Jake G and you got a younger guy with equal to better acting chops that you can sign to a long term deal... hence you are set for the next three... do the same with Dunst if she opts out as well.

I don't understand this. I mean we all love Bale as Batman right? Wouldn't we want Bale and the rest of that cast to stay on for as many movies as possible as long as they maintain the quality and everything?

If they change the entire creative team and actors for this series, I might just move on, and away from it.

You make a good point... I'd love for Bale to stay for a fourth installment. But its going to be expensive resigning an actor of his caliber. Is a movie resurrecting Ras and bringing in Talia really merited if Bale is commanding top notch dollar? For a World's Finest flick I'd probably try to get him signed... because thats something we haven't seen before... but for making a movie just to add Robin and face off against B villains like Freeze and whoever just wouldn't be worth it...

Now lets look at Spiderman... look at it from a studio persepctive... if Raimi, Tobey, and Dunst want top dollar... not only that but a perecent of the BO? Now that would be tough to come to terms with. Is it really worth bringing them back just to do the Lizard Kraven movie... a story that simply can't out do SM3... but if you make a Lizard Kraven movie that leads into bigger story (for SM5/6) and if you have to recast then? Then it gets ugly... it can still work... maybe SM4 does poorly at the BO and the franchise takes a break. Then you can recast for SM5/6... I just think they are better off making the switch now so you don't compromise what SM5/6 could be. Thats just the way I feel but I just hope it makes sense to the people that disagree with me

What ever.

To be honest, Sam, T-mags and Dunst being a team?...and if one pulls out they all pull out?? I appreciate their loyalty to one another but that is one of the most stupid things I'v ever heard. If they do that, that clearly shows above all else that they dont give a damn about the fans that they're trying to entertain or the spider-man mythos that they've been involved with.

I'm willing to bet that once sony go around waving a fatass pay check in front of their noses, they'll all be running faster than a somalian with a dinner ticket.

I personally want them all to go. If people want consistency, how about Sony sign the core actors up for 3 picture deals. I think that would work well and keep things fresh.

Um.... no... HP makes a ton more WW

All together yes, but film by film, no.

I am cool if the actors want to continue their roles for a fourth installment... but for a fifth and sixth? There isn't anything anyone can say that will convince me that this group is in for that kind of comittment. And we all know how many movies Sony wants. Rather than sacrificing the continuity of the next three sequels... they should start from scratch... besides only Conner's character (and maybe the Stacy's) from the first trilogy is incomplete so its not like they have millions of new and interesting stories to work from from the original three

You know what, actors commit to a TV series for even longer than that sometimes.

You are probably an avid reader of the comics more so than myself... Peter Parker is meant to be a young adult no older than 30... Tobey is gonna age... besides the franchise needs a fresh face... ala Batman Begins and Superman returns... now replace him with a guy like Jake G and you got a younger guy with equal to better acting chops that you can sign to a long term deal... hence you are set for the next three... do the same with Dunst if she opts out as well.

I think that's the backwards thinking that is what's wrong with the comics now. Apparently it's wrong for Peter to grow older, to show his age. It's wrong for him to have kids. To me it's this backwards thinking of Spider-man that is holding the comics back and why Quesada is destroying them. Spider-man and Peter Parker does not lose his relatability as he gets older. Since we all grow older as well it's something we all have to face. And my simple point is, at 35 actors will still play much younger than that. Look at freaking Tom Welling.

You make a good point... I'd love for Bale to stay for a fourth installment. But its going to be expensive resigning an actor of his caliber. Is a movie resurrecting Ras and bringing in Talia really merited if Bale is commanding top notch dollar? For a World's Finest flick I'd probably try to get him signed... because thats something we haven't seen before... but for making a movie just to add Robin and face off against B villains like Freeze and whoever just wouldn't be worth it...

It matters. If the audience is really connected with Bale as that character, it's going to be just as hard to make a new movie and very soon ask audiences to get into this new actor as the character after they've grown comfortable with him.

Look at the Rush Hour series, and say what you will about it. New Line gave a ridiculous amount of money to Chris Tucker. Way above top notch dollar. And Chris Tucker is in no way in high demand. He has not made a single freaking movie since Rush Hour 2. So why are they paying this ungodly amount of money to Chris Tucker who doesn't work and is hardly seen as a big star and legitimate actor and probably to Jackie Chan as well? Because New Line knows that the Rush Hour movies don't mean spit without the Jackie Chan and Chris Tucker duo. That is the ONLY reason people go to see those movies. It's the only reason those movies are a draw, for the interaction between Chan and Tucker. And if you don't have that, you don't have a movie and you don't have BO dollars.

Basically my point is, that if the studio feels something is worth paying for, they will do it. They don't always get what they pay for, but they want to cater to what they think is the mainstream audience.

And I got to hand it to Chris Tucker, risky bargaining that paid off.

Would you guys see an Austin Powers movie with different actors as Powers and Dr. Evil? Doubt it.

Now lets look at Spiderman... look at it from a studio persepctive... if Raimi, Tobey, and Dunst want top dollar... not only that but a perecent of the BO? Now that would be tough to come to terms with. Is it really worth bringing them back just to do the Lizard Kraven movie... a story that simply can't out do SM3... but if you make a Lizard Kraven movie that leads into bigger story (for SM5/6) and if you have to recast then? Then it gets ugly... it can still work... maybe SM4 does poorly at the BO and the franchise takes a break. Then you can recast for SM5/6... I just think they are better off making the switch now so you don't compromise what SM5/6 could be. Thats just the way I feel but I just hope it makes sense to the people that disagree with me

If they want all that, I'd say they deserve it. Because they are the main reasons the movies are so successful and popular. But I think it's rather ridiculous to arbritrarily proclaim that it's time to change everything after the 3rd or 4th movie.

At the very least, I'm glad we got the 3rd movie with this cast and creative team and Raimi directing. They didn't Schumacher or Brett Ratner this series. Thank God. No matter what happens with the cast or the future of this franchise, I'm very thankful we got this movie the way it has been done.

All together yes, but film by film, no.

what are you talking about?

HP: Sorceror Stone 967,000,000
HP: Goblet of Fire: 892,000,000
HP: Chamber of Secrets: 866,000,000

SM: 800,000,000
SM2: 784,000,000

You know what, actors commit to a TV series for even longer than that sometimes.

Ya TV series... not films... who actually stays on board for a fith and sixth installment anyway? Stallone as Rocky? Plus, TV stars aren't getting paid millions of dollars for every episode. Its alot cheaper

I think that's the backwards thinking that is what's wrong with the comics now. Apparently it's wrong for Peter to grow older, to show his age. It's wrong for him to have kids. To me it's this backwards thinking of Spider-man that is holding the comics back and why Quesada is destroying them. Spider-man and Peter Parker does not lose his relatability as he gets older. Since we all grow older as well it's something we all have to face. And my simple point is, at 35 actors will still play much younger than that. Look at freaking Tom Welling.

If you think TObey is gonna want to continue playing this character when he is 35/36, if you think Raimi wants to commit to another 8 years... and Dunst wants to be kidnapped over and over again for another 8 years... you are living in lolla land... heck even if they used that Xmen technology and made Tobey look young and youthful I doubt he'd sign a long term deal... you know how much money they'd be asking for? Remember that article about POTC 4,5,6? IF they resigned the three actors for POTC 4 the budget would be around 400 million... they'd still make a profit but there would be almost a 50% drop off. It's not peanuts... and don't say money isn't a factor... You need to have a budget going into something like that

It matters. If the audience is really connected with Bale as that character, it's going to be just as hard to make a new movie and very soon ask audiences to get into this new actor as the character after they've grown comfortable with him.

Agree... but its still a business and tough decisions must be made

Look at the Rush Hour series, and say what you will about it. New Line gave a ridiculous amount of money to Chris Tucker. Way above top notch dollar. And Chris Tucker is in no way in high demand. He has not made a single freaking movie since Rush Hour 2. So why are they paying this ungodly amount of money to Chris Tucker who doesn't work and is hardly seen as a big star and legitimate actor and probably to Jackie Chan as well? Because New Line knows that the Rush Hour movies don't mean spit without the Jackie Chan and Chris Tucker duo. That is the ONLY reason people go to see those movies. It's the only reason those movies are a draw, for the interaction between Chan and Tucker. And if you don't have that, you don't have a movie and you don't have BO dollars.

Basically my point is, that if the studio feels something is worth paying for, they will do it. They don't always get what they pay for, but they want to cater to what they think is the mainstream audience.

And I got to hand it to Chris Tucker, risky bargaining that paid off.

Would you guys see an Austin Powers movie with different actors as Powers and Dr. Evil? Doubt it.

And two years ago didn't we all think Rush hour three was dead in the water due to this very fact... Tucker demanding top notch dollar almost killed any chance of the movie being made... so if they barely get him signed for a third they aren't going to keep upping the anti after every film... Besides the characters you are bringing up define the role... Myers produced the Austin Powers films no? Tucker definatley had say on what direction the story and his character should go... those guys built those franchises... you can't say Tobey freakin Maguire and Dunst had the same impact

If they want all that, I'd say they deserve it. Because they are the main reasons the movies are so successful and popular. But I think it's rather ridiculous to arbritrarily proclaim that it's time to change everything after the 3rd or 4th movie.

At the very least, I'm glad we got the 3rd movie with this cast and creative team and Raimi directing. They didn't Schumacher or Brett Ratner this series. Thank God. No matter what happens with the cast or the future of this franchise, I'm very thankful we got this movie the way it has been done.

Not even Dunst and TMags should be paid 20-25 million per film... what was Tobeys salary for SM3? I believe it was almost 20 million considering he made 17 for SM2... Dunst is gonna want to double her 7-8 million she is making now... lets not even mention Raimi... you are looking at 50 million on a core cast alone... you know if SM4 was the last movie then it might be worth it but it won't be. SOny needs to stick to a budget. Besides most summer blockbusters are breaking new records every year so budgets are rising. SM3 might pull in 400 million tops... but if SM4 makes only 350... and SM5 makes 320 and if it is gonna cost 250 million plus per film the studio should not continue to invest in the franchise that makes less and less... at some point you need to scale it down and build the profits back up... Studios are greedy and they won't be content with just making a profit. Its easy for you to say oh they are still making hundreds of millions of dollars... but when you have employees to pay a 4,5, and 6th time time around and executives getting a % of the BO it adds up... if it was your money it would NOT be a no brainer... and the idea that SOny has to give back to the fans is just idiotic... this is the 21st century... and Sony doesn't owe the fans diddly squat... if 300 million if too high a budget, they should damn well scale it down to make some more money. THey deserve it more than these actors

I agree that peter parker and mj should be recast for the 4th, 5th ,6th movies. All the side characters could and should return and as far as we know none of them have been dying to leave (as tobey and kirsten have) j.k.simmons even said he'd be willing to do spiderman films for the next 20 years or sumthing ridiculous like that!!

http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?nid=19139

Every1 knows if sony pay tobey and kirsten a ridiculous sum of money to return for a fourth, they certainly won't return for any more!! so in the name of consistency they should be recast now and then there would be two spiderman trilogies of sorts but one of overall series!! That way as was previously mentioned they wudnt have to worry about making spidey 4 EVEN bigger than 3 which is practically impossible and could start establishing some new character arcs, new villains etc even maybe attract some new audience who didnt like tobey maguire's version of peter parker?!?!

At the end of the day people go to see spider-man and possibly equally as much the villain/villains, so even every1 complaining on here about a recast would still be waiting in line come release day!!!

"Where is this being fed to?" Dunst asked inquisitively. "The internet? Great." (And cause you can't tell tone of voice from reading this, let's just say that she seemed less than thrilled by that last bit.)
When I read the interview I was wondering why she was so worried about that. Now I see why.:whatever:

Yeah I'm all for recasting now. Spider-Man is the draw to this film. Spider-Man 1 & 2 didn't make 1.5+ billion in the theatres because of the huge box office draw of Kirsten Dunst and Tobey. They did a great job but they are replaceable. I'll never forget these films but if they start demanding more money...get rid of them. Spider-Man is bigger than any actor ever will be.

I agree that peter parker and mj should be recast for the 4th, 5th ,6th movies. All the side characters could and should return and as far as we know none of them have been dying to leave (as tobey and kirsten have) j.k.simmons even said he'd be willing to do spiderman films for the next 20 years or sumthing ridiculous like that!!

http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?nid=19139

Every1 knows if sony pay tobey and kirsten a ridiculous sum of money to return for a fourth, they certainly won't return for any more!! so in the name of consistency they should be recast now and then there would be two spiderman trilogies of sorts but one of overall series!! That way as was previously mentioned they wudnt have to worry about making spidey 4 EVEN bigger than 3 which is practically impossible and could start establishing some new character arcs, new villains etc even maybe attract some new audience who didnt like tobey maguire's version of peter parker?!?!

At the end of the day people go to see spider-man and possibly equally as much the villain/villains, so even every1 complaining on here about a recast would still be waiting in line come release day!!!

Stole my thunder a bit... ya just because you recast the core actors doesn't mean you have to replace everyone... not only Jameson has been more than interested in returning... Baker said he'd love to complete his arc and become the Lizard. Most of the guys at the Bugle would surely come back for small roles. not too mention Jake G can pull off as T Mags brother with the similar facial features.

jakegyllen_grani_7000832_600.jpg

tobey%20maguire.jpg

Casual movie goers won't even be able to tell the difference... and if Dunst gets back together with Jake again... who knows

When actors sign up for a franchise like this and it does this well (better than their entire career) I think they have an obligation to remain loyal to it. Movies for the most part are for the viewers. One actor or director's personal desire to branch out should be sacrificed. If Sony is willing to give Spiderman films the funding they deserve, the crew should be willing to put things aside and strike while the iron is hot. Basically my point is that the Spiderman franchise is bigger than any one actor or director. They want to do something rewarding and meaningful, but they already are.

Her latest quote, "SM4 would be a big flop without any one of her, 'Toby' or 'Sam.' COULD SHE BE MORE OUT OF TOUCH? Any pretty actress will do. She could be replaced in a minute. I like Maguire, but frankly, how could this series not continue to rock just because you change some faces. Are we supposed to believe these 600+ million dollar revenue movies will 'end' because one of these won't go on. She ESPECIALLY is not very important.

When actors sign up for a franchise like this and it does this well (better than their entire career) I think they have an obligation to remain loyal to it. Movies for the most part are for the viewers. One actor or director's personal desire to branch out should be sacrificed. If Sony is willing to give Spiderman films the funding they deserve, the crew should be willing to put things aside and strike while the iron is hot. Basically my point is that the Spiderman franchise is bigger than any one actor or director. They want to do something rewarding and meaningful, but they already are.

The obligation you speak of is called $$$. That's how capitalism works. Sony can afford to pay them if the films are making $600 million.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"