Sequels Sam Raimi talks Spider-Man 4

No because they could have ended SM3 on a cliff hanger and Venom could have been the featured villain as long as their was a side villain or separate side plots going. I could easily have seen the symbiote aga extending for two films and that's without Carnage... I personally wouldn't have gone that direction.

I just touched on the reason why that didn't happen. And quite frankly, Venom isn't good enough to carry a movie on his own. His fans would like to think he is, but he is not.

Obviously you never read it because its a piece of **** story and a prime example of why the 90s sucked for comics. Maximum Carnage is just a 14 issue slugfest with guests stars and is generally regarded as one of the worst Spider-Man stories ever.

Quite true. It had no depth, it made no sense & was resolved with a "good bomb". Carnage is not the awesome villain he's made out to be, & the stories involving him have been lame as hell. THe only one i still like is "Disordered Minds".

I just touched on the reason why that didn't happen. And quite frankly, Venom isn't good enough to carry a movie on his own. His fans would like to think he is, but he is not.

Preach it brother :up:

Thank you! Its amazing how much whining people have done over that quick little scene.
Agreed! Tbh, I sick and tired of people complaining about. Sometmes, I think people didn't see it as a joke in the film, which is what it was meant to be.

A touch of humor is fine, but the 'raindrops' moment in SM2 which was brief and genuinely funny. Repeating that for a WHOLE scene in SM3 was a bad move and tonally a mess. It was easier to laugh at than with.

Last edited:
^Agreed, I wouldnt have minded on a repeat of the scene from SM3, but it should have been darker, not as light. It should have shown what an idiot Peter was becoming due to the Symbiote influence.

It should have shown what an idiot Peter was becoming due to the Symbiote influence.

It did.:huh:
Look, this whole scenario of the symbiote affecting his personality is an invention of the 90's cartoon. And the approach used 14 years ago was that of Peter being somewhat cooler & more confident to begin with. So we didn't get the overconfident dork when the suit came on. Here he started out different, so the symbiote created a different result.

It did.:huh:
Look, this whole scenario of the symbiote affecting his personality is an invention of the 90's cartoon. And the approach used 14 years ago was that of Peter being somewhat cooler & more confident to begin with. So we didn't get the overconfident dork when the suit came on. Here he started out different, so the symbiote created a different result.

It didnt show it enough for me, dancing down the street just doesnt show he is becoming a jerk, he should have been rude to people, pushing people over, hassling girls, etc, etc, it would have had a lot more impact than what we got.

Dude, you gotta remember - the symbiote amplifies the characteristics of it's host. Peter Parker is not dark - he's a dork. It also feeds off aggression. Therefore, you get an amplified dork who's prone to violence.

I don't get how so many so-called Spiderman fans keep attributing to Peter as a "dork or nerd". Peter is far from it. He has always had a good head on his shoulders, smart, intelligent, wise, many of friends & girl-friends(remind you), helpful, thoughtful, and have probably the greatest work ethic than any single character in all comics.

Look, Clark Kent is a dork, Peter Parker is not. If many of you so-called fans really knew the character, you may see that. So this idea that the Symbiote amplified Peter dorkness... I implore you to show where that happened in the comics; because that was a characteristic that Sam created because of his lack of knowledge and dislike of the Symbioye. He admitted that.

:facepalm

It didnt show it enough for me, dancing down the street just doesnt show he is becoming a jerk, he should have been rude to people, pushing people over, hassling girls, etc, etc, it would have had a lot more impact than what we got.

I think if he'd done that, reality would have kicked in quicker for him. Remember, once he struck MJ, Peter's mind overrode the symbiote's influence.
And Venom's Dad, I emphatically disagree with you. First off, Clark Kent is not a dork. He pretends to be one, but he isn't. There's a huge difference. Kent is Superman's fabricated persona. Parker is Spider-Man's true persona. It's simply who he is. Much the way Bruce Wayne pretends to be the spoiled, shallow, womanizing party-boy that Tony Stark truly is. Now when I refer to Peter as a dork, I don't mean it in a derogatory sense. He is a shy, socially awkward, physically uncoordinated (without his powers anyway) misfit brainiac. THat's who he is. It's one of the many characteristics that I happen to like about him. And getting bitten by a mutant spider sisn't change that. That is simply his identity. And in the movie, again the parasite (I think we should stop calling it a symbiote, since a symbiote gives & takes in equal measure) amplified who he was coupled it with an unjustified sense of self-importance.
As for your other argument, I'll do you one better; you show me an instance in the comics where the symbiote changed or amplified ANYTHING about him. All it did was give him organic webbing, a quick change & a place to keep things. And that's it. It didn't amplify his strength, it didn't alter his personality, it didn't do anything except drain his energy & keep him asleep. As we saw when Puma attacked him, it didn't even speed up his healing. It didn't do any of that stuff until it got with Brock. Everything else, as I've already stated, is an invention of the 90's animated series. So there's no point in referencing the comics at all on this. For some reason, once it happened in TAS, it was viewed by many as canon for the symbiote saga. It's how they did it in Ultimate, and how they did it on Spectacular. And I think Raimi took a very logical approach with it, but it is NOT his invention. Not at all.

I thought, that jut showed what a ridiculously, good guy, Parker really is

I mean, when your version of going bad, is strutting down the street, and dancing...

Venom I don't think can carry movie as the main villain. Even if he is the cliffhanger. He is at best a side villain to me. And even there, just throw him in the climax. Make it come full circle. Produces a better movie. SM3 just had a lot going on including Venom. Nothing wrong with how they used Venom as a villain. It just needed more Brock.

If Venom was the only villain the entire movie would probably just be about him stalking Peter.

The popular arguments for Venom revolve around the animated series. But he only stalked & antagonized Peter for 30 minutes. I don't see that getting stretched into a 2-hour movie.

The popular arguments for Venom revolve around the animated series. But he only stalked & antagonized Peter for 30 minutes. I don't see that getting stretched into a 2-hour movie.

It could easily though, I can think of plenty of things they could do with it, and it would have been great to see, but alas, looks like we wont see it, at least anytime soon.

True, BUT with a cliffhanger, you could also add more development with Sandman and having New Goblin STAY as a villain for a longer piece of time. It would be nice to have a cliffhanger with Venom at the two-hour mark, giving all that time for Sandman's COMPLETE storyline of trying to get money to cure Penny and to further a rivalry of Spider-Man/Peter Parker and New Goblin/Harry Osborn. And then with the second part, you didn't have to have it all about Venom. You could have Venom search up the story with Sandman and blackmail him(like the video game), and then bring in someone to buy off OsCorp and have a storyline like this, which only makes Harry become even more mad, and put more thirst into his revenge over Peter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"