• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Eidos waiting for a better install base with PS3

Horrorfan

Superhero
Reaction score
http://www.joystiq.com/2007/03/30/eidos-holding-out-for-better-ps3-install-base/

Eidos holding out for better PS3 install base

Posted Mar 30th 2007 10:29AM by Alexander Sliwinski
Filed under: Sony PlayStation 3, Business
Eidos, publisher of all things Tomb Raider and Hitman, is taking a wait and see approach to the PS3. Eidos says they will not release major titles on the PS3 until 2008 because the amount of people who own a PS3 doesn't make the cost of manufacturing for the console worth their time.

Eidos CEO Jane Cavanagh says, "We believe that PlayStation 3 will be a successful platform, and are developing technology and products for this console ... we do not believe that the installed base will be high enough until the second half of our 2008 financial year, most of our major product releases on the PlayStation 3 platform are not scheduled before that date." Coincidentally, Cavanagh spoke of digital distribution increasing their opportunities for profit the same day we received a release stating that Steam is increasing their line of Eidos games for sale.

Considering Hitman releases on a two year cycle, the next edition in the saga wouldn't occur until 2008 anyway. We also don't plan to see the next part of the Tomb Raider: Legend story until 2008 also. If PlayStation 3 owners really want to play Legend and Blood Money, they can always just get the PS2 versions.

I wouldn't blame them I'd probably do the same thing if I ran their company (that would be awesome).

Yeah that's true, at this stage it is still early.

That said though, and not being biased at all for once, they did decide to put Tomb Raider and Hitman on 360 when the fanbase was more or less on par with what PS3 is now....I personally think they should port the upcoming tomb raider remake to next gen but that's just me.

If they did a next gen Legacy of Kain ps3 exclusive, I have to admit I would be tempted...

One one hand I can see why a developer would hold off on bringing games to the PS3 and/or keeping them exclusive until theres a larger install base, but at the same time they need to realize thats its them that will give the PS3 those numbers. The hardware isnt selling itself and its the games they put out that will push it to sell more which will in turn give them a larger platform to sell their own products and future products. You know it goes both ways

Yup, it makes sense. I can see why companies are cautious entering such a market. That said, games take a good few years to make, so Eidos may as well start working on them now. By the time they near completion the PS3 will have a much larger user base.

Well, I guess this means no Tomb Raider: Anninversary on PS3 then. :p If it does come to next-gen, it'll be on the 360 only.

Well, I guess this means no Tomb Raider: Anninversary on PS3 then. :p If it does come to next-gen, it'll be on the 360 only.
does it matter? The game is already coming out for the PS2 and as long as its backwards compatible, then its a non-issue

does it matter? The game is already coming out for the PS2 and as long as its backwards compatible, then its a non-issue

Yeah, it does matter. PS3 owners won't be able to experience Anniversary in next-generation graphics, only us 360 owners will. :woot: :oldrazz:

Yeah, it does matter. PS3 owners won't be able to experience Anniversary in next-generation graphics, only us 360 owners will. :woot: :oldrazz:
They'll probably still bring some version out for the PS3. It's only a port after all. They'll recoup there costs from the other systems. It's the exclusive games Eidos will be careful around.

Graphics are not everything. TRL looked amazing and Im assuming Anniversary will have progressive scan like it did. This game is made specifically for the PS2's hardware. Its a different thing if it were being made for the 360 as well from the getgo. If it were to come out for the 360, it would just be a port. I dont see Eidos recreating this game just to bump up the graphics. If anything it will just be the same game but in 720p.

Graphics are not everything. TRL looked amazing and Im assuming Anniversary will have progressive scan like it did. This game is made specifically for the PS2's hardware. Its a different thing if it were being made for the 360 as well from the getgo. If it were to come out for the 360, it would just be a port. I dont see Eidos recreating this game just to bump up the graphics. If anything it will just be the same game but in 720p.

Well, they did the same for Legend. That was originally only supposed to come out on PS2, Xbox & PC, but they later decided to port to the 360. The 360 version was a port of the PS2 version and it came out looking gorgeous. I expect the same from Anniversary. Besides, they already hinted at bringing it to more platforms in an interview at gamespot.

Well, they did the same for Legend. That was originally only supposed to come out on PS2, Xbox & PC, but they later decided to port to the 360. The 360 version was a port of the PS2 version and it came out looking gorgeous. I expect the same from Anniversary. Besides, they already hinted at bringing it to more platforms in an interview at gamespot.
well thats my point. The 360 was nothing more than a port of the PS2 version, which is what would be expected for a PS3 version. IMO, unless its packaged as some Collector's edition with extra content theres no reason to make a PS3 port further down the road if the PS2 version is fully functional on the system.

well thats my point. The 360 was nothing more than a port of the PS2 version, which is what would be expected for a PS3 version. IMO, unless its packaged as some Collector's edition with extra content theres no reason to make a PS3 port further down the road if the PS2 version is fully functional on the system.

The 360 version was a tarted-up port, not cheap ports like Gun & Tony Hawk. It was much more better looking than any of the other versions. That is what would be expected of a PS3 version if they were to make one, which they aren't. There won't be any new TR games on PS3 until 2008-2009. The only logical choice would be to port Anniversary to the 360. They've already opened up a fanbase with Legend, plus it would help it sell incredibly well on all platforms. Legend on the 360 gave it a lot of exposure being a next-gen game and all, that's what Anniversary needs.

The 360 version was a tarted-up port, not cheap ports like Gun & Tony Hawk. It was much more better looking than any of the other versions. That is what would be expected of a PS3 version if they were to make one, which they aren't. There won't be any new TR games on PS3 until 2008-2009. The only logical choice would be to port Anniversary to the 360. They've already opened up a fanbase with Legend, plus it would help it sell incredibly well on all platforms. Legend on the 360 gave it a lot of exposure being a next-gen game and all, that's what Anniversary needs.
Okay are we talking about the 360 now or PS3? Yeah theres a strong possibility of this game going to the 360 and you know what it makes sense bc there is no XBox versioin. I never argued that. This is the PS3 forum and like I already said its not a big deal if the PS3 doesnt get a port bc the game will already be playable on the system. I know I waont be upset bc Im already satisfied with what Ive seen of the PS2 game

Okay are we talking about the 360 now or PS3? Yeah theres a strong possibility of this game going to the 360 and you know what it makes sense bc there is no XBox versioin. I never argued that. This is the PS3 forum and like I already said its not a big deal if the PS3 doesnt get a port bc the game will already be playable on the system. I know I waont be upset bc Im already satisfied with what Ive seen of the PS2 game

Yeah, I was trying to say that they don't need to make a PS3 version because a 360 version would just get the job done better. The game is already on two Sony platforms, they don't need to add another to the mix.

Yeah, I was trying to say that they don't need to make a PS3 version because a 360 version would just get the job done better.
Lol. :yay:

It's not about which system gets the job done better. Tomb Raider is cross-platform. It's about how to make the most money.

Lol. :yay:

It's not about which system gets the job done better. Tomb Raider is cross-platform. It's about how to make the most money.

It is about which system gets the job done better. Hence the reason why Anniversary is only coming out on PS2 & PC right now. They've got the largest user base and are using minimum resources.

It is about which system gets the job done better. Hence the reason why Anniversary is only coming out on PS2 & PC right now. They've got the largest user base and are using minimum resources.
That's not about getting the game done better. I was refering to someone's post that they'll port it to 360 because graphically it'll look better. Get the job done better in that sense. My point was, they don't care. They just want the money. They're a business.

That's not about getting the game done better. I was refering to someone's post that they'll port it to 360 because graphically it'll look better. Get the job done better in that sense. My point was, they don't care. They just want the money. They're a business.

I didn't mean graphically, it'd get the job done better. I meant that if Crystal Dynamics wanted to make a next-gen version, they'd just make a 360 version because they already have the resources from Legend, experience with the 360 hardware and a large fanbase from Legend. A 360 version would make them more money than a PS3 version.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"