Iron Man 2 Element created

The only name I've heard in conjunction with Tony's new element was "Badassium" which the patent office or someone rejected.

Let's use logic to figure this out.
There are two types of Vibranuium, both extremely rare.
Vibranium was first deposited on Earth by a meteorite 10,000 years ago. The first documented discovery of Vibranium was during a human expedition to Antarctica. This particular isotope of Vibranium was dubbed "Anti-Metal" due to its property of dissolving other metals.[1]
A different variety of Vibranium is found in Wakanda.

Howard Stark told Captain America how rare Vibranium is, and Howard used all the Vibranium he had to create Captain America's Shield.

Remember when Tony was watching the film of his Father?
Howard Stark said, " it represents my life's work. This is the key to the future. I'm limited by the technology of my time, but one day you'll figure this out. And when you do, you will change the world."

I believe that Howard Stark figured out a way to manufacture manmade Vibranium, but did not have the tech to make it happen in his time.
My answer is, Tony, with modern tech, was able to create manmade Vibranium and used that to replace palladium in the arc reactor.

Captain America:
Howard Stark: the only vibranium is in the shield

Iron Man 2
Tony Stark: he REdiscovered Vibranium because Howard hid the atom design in the stark expo map
Nick Fury: Tony hasn't tried every element referring to Vibranium (he knew about it because him and Howard co-founded S.H.I.E.L.D. together giving Howard a chance to tell Nick about it)

Captain America:
Howard Stark: the only vibranium is in the shield

Iron Man 2
Tony Stark: he REdiscovered Vibranium because Howard hid the atom design in the stark expo map
Nick Fury: Tony hasn't tried every element referring to Vibranium (he knew about it because him and Howard co-founded S.H.I.E.L.D. together giving Howard a chance to tell Nick about it)

Fury was referring to the element Tony was about to re-discover, which is not vibranium

In fact Tony calls it badassium in the pre-Avengers movie comics

The confusion comes about because the novelization of Iron Man 2 screwed up and called the element Tony (re) created "Vibranium", but it was wrong. Captain America movies and Age of Ultron both contradict that. Novelizations are only canon up to the point where they are contradicted by movies.

In fact, Tony never gives the new element a name in Iron Man 2. His only real comments were that it could power the Arc Reactor without causing him to be poisoned, and that it "tastes like coconut... and metal."

In the comics related to the movies, there's a scene where Fury says Tony was trying to get a patent for it under the name "Badassium" but was running into legal problems.

The element Tony (re) created was most likely something akin to the Tesseract, which Howard had enough data on to speculate on the composition of the cube itself (not the cosmic power within, mind you-- Just the cube's actual material composition). He couldn't do anything more, though, and so he encoded the data he had into the Stark Expo design, hoping Tony would one day decipher it and continue his work.

Vibranium, however, is not a new element. It's one that has been on MCU Earth for a long time and is only found in Wakanda. Klaw was a Vibranium smuggler (and an enemy of Wakanda because of it), but there's a limited supply and Wakanda is very vigilant when it comes to securing it.

As Vibranium is a known (but exceptionally rare) element on MCU Earth, the atomic composition of it is also known, but there's simply no way to synthesize it as yet. Howard almost certainly tried, but never succeeded, and he hoped Tony would be able to continue that research too. However, Tony has never made an attempt to do so, and it's unclear as to whether the attempt would violate treaties and trade agreements the United States has with Wakanda, anyway.

Bottom Line: The element Tony Stark made in Iron Man 2 wasn't Vibranium. It was likely the alien material that the Tesseract was made up of, minus the cosmic power that makes it an Infinity Stone.

Not giving it a name was a bit clunky writing. Maybe they wanted to call it vibranium but realized that wouldn't work in post-production.

I always liked a fan name i heard 'Chestium!"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"