Epsilon

:eek:

Superhero
Reaction score
Sony Pictures Takes Rhett Reese and Paul Wernick's Epsilon

Source: The Hollywood Reporter
September 12, 2012

Screenwriters Rhett Reese and Paul Wernick have sold an original sci-fi script, Epsilon, to Sony Pictures, says a story at The Hollywood Reporter. The pair will produce the project alongside Michael DeLuca.

Set in the future, Epsilon finds Earth in the aftermath of a failed robotic rebellion that has wiped the planet of its electronics. "Surviving" robots inhabit an orbiting space station where they've raised their own humans to do their bidding.

Best known for writing 2009's Zombieland, Reese and Wernick are also responsible for the upcoming G.I. Joe: Retaliation and 20th Century Fox's still-not-greenlit Deadpool.

Greg Berlanti to Direct Sony's Sci-Fi Film Epsilon
"Arrow" showrunner and executive producer Greg Berlanti will direct the sci-fi action film Epsilon for Columbia Pictures, says The Hollywood Reporter. Michael DeLuca is producing the project, which was written by Zombieland writers Rhett Reese and Paul Wernick.

According to the trade, "Epsilon is set after a failed robot rebellion on an Earth almost entirely devoid of electronic devices. The remaining robots seek refuge on a space station and begin to raise their own human lab rats, which they train to act as their agents. The main character is a man who discovers he is more human than he thought."

Jonathan Kadin is overseeing production for Columbia Pictures.

Berlanti worked as a writer on films such as Green Lantern and Wrath of the Titans and directed the 2010 dramedy Life As We Know It.

It's starting to feel like every sci-fi movie lately has to consist of a single mysterious word that is both abstractly enticing and catchy.

Inception
Oblivion
Elysium
Emergence
Epsilon
Transcendence
Interstellar
Gravity
Prometheus

Whatever happened to simple things, like Star Wars?

Star Wars is sci-fi but in the broadest of strokes like with Cowboy Bebop and Firefly/Serenity..or anything to do with the more..fantastical 'space opera' genre. It's not, let's say, hard sci-fi like an Phillip K. Dick novel where it's a social commentary.

The main character should totally be named Leonard Church

Star Wars is sci-fi but in the broadest of strokes like with Cowboy Bebop and Firefly/Serenity..or anything to do with the more..fantastical 'space opera' genre. It's not, let's say, hard sci-fi like an Phillip K. Dick novel where it's a social commentary.

Hard scifi doesn't necessarily be a social commentary, it just indicates an effort to be rooted in actual potential technologies and developments.

In that respect, Firefly is fairly grounded, plus, especially in terms of the film Serenity, it certainly does offer social commentary.

I see what you're saying...my point is that sci-fi isn't an absolute because it would negate many works of fiction that belong to that genre. Like any art, it is constantly changing and spreading. And sometimes it loses its core but it doesn't mean it's doesn't 'belong' to a certain genre.

Star Wars, be a 'space opera' or 'science-fantasy' is - in the broadest of strokes - sci-fi through a Flash Gordon vision. It's just not sci-fi proper, like in 'potentials in tech and dev'. But it does have 'tech and dev' in a more fantastical sense. You can even say that there is social commentary in the nasty, nasty Prequels too.

There's a weird movement now that people are pushing forward with that wants Star Wars to be separated from 'sci-fi'. Maybe it's an agression that was started 4 decades ago when it changed how people saw 'sci-fi' and became a public mainstay despite what sci-fi fans didn't want. That is a strong accusation but I feel like there's weight there. I don't know...that's for another discussion.

In my eyes, when break it down, Star Wars is many things. Many genres in one, and that's why it captured the imagination of the world back in 1977.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"