• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Excelsior! Ms. Marvel Reborn as Muslim-American Teenager

Well, DC has brought us Catwoman, Supergirl and Batman & Robin. They all sucked, but they did use female superheroes.
I think you actually set back the odds of a female superhero listing those three off. :funny:

Hmm... you have a point but I stand by my comment. I'm baffled by any woman who finds Islam a good religion for her. For men it's understandable. It's made for men. And in the context of this thread, what person in their right mind in Marvel universe would believe the nonsense of Muhammad. Or the bible, to be fair.

This post is the crown jewel of the thread. No lie, if I lived in the Marvel universe, I wouldn't believe in either of those either. With all that stuff that goes on...

You'd be more inclined to believe in Norse or Greek mythology that anything else since they have Thor and Hercules as avengers and Asgard was just hanging above some small town in the south for awhile in plain view. They never did really say too much about that in the comics, likely to avoid controversy.

I can just imagine how door to door converters fare in the MU.

"What do you mean you don't believe in Jesus?"
"Well I can't say I ever saw him."
"Of course not. He'll return to us one day."
"I saw Thor take on Doctor Doom yesterday and I saw Hercules take down some Hydra agents who were going to blow up New York. I'm more inclined to believe in them."

Religion must be completely confusing in the MU. Kids going to Sunday school asking why Thor wasn't in the bible and asking how monotheism works with guys like them running around. The Vatican must have gone crazy when they started showing up, never mind the rest fo the SPBs.

"The meek shall inherit the earth.' Well what about the meek guy who can shoot lasers from his eyes? Or the Grandma who can bench press a truck? Or Bruce Banner, he's about as meek as they came.

Remember when Iceman's brother called the cops on him in X2? That'd be me if I lived in the Marvel universe. Jealous as f***. Why couldn't I be blessed with powers.

It's like "You can do what? Why can't I do that? I'm calling the cops to arrest you for being too cool. Get it? :word: No, really. I called the cops. Get out."

I can totally understand why people are terrified of mutants or SPBs in general. If you knew that at anytime someone could just explode and take out a city block because they had hiccups, or melt your brain if you bumped them or turn into a giant green rage monster because they stubbed their toe you'd be scared to even go outside.

Haha yep, which is why there's no way I'd believe in a monotheism.

Although have you ever read Earth X, Warhammer? It said that the gods were highly evolved aliens.

Religion must be completely confusing in the MU. Kids going to Sunday school asking why Thor wasn't in the bible and asking how monotheism works with guys like them running around. The Vatican must have gone crazy when they started showing up, never mind the rest fo the SPBs.

Probably the same approach you take to explain to kids why they saw three different Santa Clauses when you went Christmas shopping.

"Daddy, is Thor a god?"

"Timmy, he's one of God's helpers."

"What about Hercules?"

"Also one of God's helpers."

"What about the Hulk?"

"God's boss."

My reaction:

Muslim hero? Not an issue.

Female hero? Just like real-life female soldiers and cops.

Female Muslim hero? That might bring in some new readers.

Teenager? Ugh, not again.

Well they aren't going to have a middle aged woman go out to fight crime.

Well they aren't going to have a middle aged woman go out to fight crime.

LOL!--Maybe we can find a happy medium between worrying about history exams and trying to conceal the middle-age paunch, ala Carol Ferris.

Japan is not a multicultural country. The United States has ALWAYS been a multicultural country. From African slaves, to Native Americans, to the people who can trace their ancestry to the Spanish settlements. And, as KevanG pointed out... Why is it ok for Jay Garrick to give way to Barry Allen who gives way to Wally West, but this causes all sorts of hackles to be raised?

And yes, as a kid you look at the fictional heroes of the culture from a wide variety of genres and it does smart that "what" you are is rarely represented. I don't like to play this card at all. Really. And I know it's gonna sound smug as hell, but it's the truth as I see it... If you are not a minority, especially one that is culture-ized fully into the American mainstream, it's probably something you won't understand.

The US is founded on genocide and slavery so no it has not always been a multicultural country. I don't know what's more sad; people proud that an old character is getting a minority face lift or the fact that writers can't come up with good, original minority characters that they instead have to use established characters for anyone to give a dump. No one would care if they created a new Muslim hero. People get defensive or excited when it's Miles Morales becoming the new Spider-Man. It's a stunt to sell comics.

Last edited:
The US is founded on genocide and slavery so no it has not always been a multicultural country. I don't know what's more sad; people proud that an old character is getting a minority face lift or the fact that writers can't come up with good, original minority characters that they instead have to use established characters for anyone to give a dump. No one would care if they created a new Muslim hero. People get defensive or excited when it's Miles Morales becoming the new Spider-Man. It's a stunt to sell comics.

Umm... Yeah... The people who were the subject of the genocide and slavery... They still existed. They still were part of the culture, and still contributed to the American experience and experiment and did so from the start and the people who share their blood still do today. Sooooo.... Yeah we've been a multicultural nation from the giddyup. You can argue the level of power and influence those people have had in the greater society as compared to the WASP majority, but they have always been a part and have always contributed. We've been multicultural since the New England settlers first learned from the natives what to hunt, gather, cook and eat.

I like how you used a derogatory term to describe the white majority. You seem like a swell person. I will let you get back to throwing a parade over this Marvel Comics revelation.

I like how you used a derogatory term to describe the white majority. You seem like a swell person. I will let you get back to throwing a parade over this Marvel Comics revelation.

If I used a derogatory term to refer to anyone it was one I am unaware of? Was it WASP? Because, as I said, I was not aware that was offensive. :huh:
I thought it was an acronym? I am serious here. If that's the reason you were so dismissive I apologize for the unintended offense. I stand by the reasoning of the rest of the post 100% though.

I truly don't care about the creative defense. Muslim isn't even a race so it's even more mind numbing why someone would be excited. We need a good a Scientologist hero.

I truly don't care about the creative defense. Muslim isn't even a race so it's even more mind numbing why someone would be excited. We need a good a Scientologist hero.

Is the intimation here that I am lying? Because I am not. I am not aware of WASP as some slur on par with, say *******, **** or the N-word. You can harrumph all ya want, but I am telling you the truth. I have no need for a creative defense.

I think you're going overboard, Chaseter. Krypton wasn't trying to offend anyone. WASP can be derogatory depending on how it's used, but that clearly wasn't Krypton's intent. He was only using it to describe a sub-group.

Last edited:
Jeez, I go to bed after making the topic entertaining and wake up to find everyone fighting.

To be accurate KevanG, we were fighting over how entertaining you are. Like at what specific level. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"