Failed Comic Book Movie Franchises

I know lots of people in the real world, like, lots and lots and lots, and this is me reporting back, if any of them knew who the hell Aqua-man was, I'd use some of that mouthwash.

X-Men also became very popular in the 90s so there's that, Green Lantern is close to x-men's early success, it's franshising itself and getting the big event, many spin-offs are being made, etc. The problem was that the film failed :(

Green Lantern failed because the reviews by critics and fans were bad. Like the new GR: SOV that failed mainly because of poor reviews and "the-first-one-is-bad-effect" (an effect who has hit also Hulk's franchise).

The problem with The Punisher, besides the bad movies, is that the Death Wish style urban vigilante genre is overrun with movies and other than the comic book origins, The Punisher brings very little that's new to a genre that hasn't had a big hit in decades. Machete and Hobo With a Shotgun are probably films with comparable appeal and neither of them set the box office on fire. New York getting relatively cleaned up probably was the worst thing that could happen to the genre.

They simply fuc...off everything with Punisher. They had already Bruno Costa and his gang and they had put in also Billy Russo to gave an hint for the sequel. And also the poor marketing. They put in against Kill Bill in 2004 so it was a suicidal. Like War Zone on december 2008 when it was against like a 20 big movies in a period when the "happy-christmas-movies" are the big success.

I don't buy it. Unless you live in a retirement home. And even there you might find some old guy who read the comics as a kid.

Dude, considering you listed Aqua-man as being a more famous superhero than Spider-man, I think your judgement has been severely called into question in regards to your bearings on this entire genre.

Dude, considering you listed Aqua-man as being a more famous superhero than Spider-man, I think your judgement has been severely called into question in regards to your bearings on this entire genre.

Coming from you, whose judgment I value so highly, I take that as a compliment.

Though I'd consider them roughly equal in fame, as in, being known of. Certainly not in acclaim.

Aquaman is one of the most recognized superheroes. Deal with it.

Last edited:
Sorry but spider-man is more famous, most people i know have no idea what an aquaman is :o

Dude, as I heard it described once, Spider-man is one of the 'primal three' superheroes, along with Superman and Batman, ie just about every bozo in the street who has had any contact with the media knows those 3 superheroes. Most of those people think Aqua-man is slang for the mouthwash they pass out at gay clubs.

Hulk too thanks to the TV series and various commercials and appearances in the media. Lou Ferrigno is probably as well known as Mr. T. Practically everybody over the age of 20 knows who he is.

Actually, thinking back, I would say the Hulk is more recognized than Spider-man and Aquaman.

Hulk too thanks to the TV series and various commercials and appearances in the media. Lou Ferrigno is probably as well known as Mr. T. Practically everybody over the age of 20 knows who he is.

Aye, I know, he would be fourth I would guess in a poll, if you asked the non-geek crowd in the street to name some superheroes, although, maybe non-geeks wouldn't think of the Hulk rightaway as a superhero, as their minds would immediately go to the capes and masks.
They might not even know he was in comic-books, might just think of the old tv show.

Ok, spider-man's impact is being understimated, the guy pratically sells himself, hulk has become famous enough to become a name people call to somebody strong ot something like that, but Spider-man is much more popular than Aquaman, there's not even a comparison

Ok, spider-man's impact is being understimated, the guy pratically sells himself, hulk has become famous enough to become a name people call to somebody strong ot something like that, but Spider-man is much more popular than Aquaman, there's not even a comparison

Popularity and recognition are not necessarily the same thing. Iron Man has done much better at the box office than Superman, but Superman is still by far the most recognized superhero ever.

So what? Spider-Man is stil more recognisable than Aquaman, by miles in fact, i consider him and hulk tied in recognition

Rank the top ten recognized superheroes for me, would you.

Well, for me it would be:

1. Superman - Iconic look. Numerous TV shows and movies spanning decades.
2. Batman - Same as Superman.
3. Spider-Man - Not as well known as the above two, mainly because they have a much longer history of success in live action whereas Spider-Man is more well known from cartoons up until the Sam Raimi films. He's still pretty recognizable by everybody though.
4. Hulk - Mentioned in my previous post. A cultural icon in the 70s and 80s.
5. Robin - Not quite as well known as Batman himself, but close.
6. Iron Man - Well known because he's a hot thing at the moment. Completely unknown until the Robert Downey Jr films, where the character became Downey's Jack Sparrow. I don't know whether he will still be well known 20 years down the road, but for right now he has penetrated the main stream media and public consciousness.
7. Wolverine - Thanks to being Hugh Jackman's most famous role.
8. Captain America - They don't know much about him, but they know the look and name.
9. Wonder Woman - Ditto.
10. Fantastic Four - Likewise. The group is more well known than them as individuals. Of the four, Thing is probably the most famous.

Aye, that list is about right in my estimation as well, but I would say that nowadays the X-Men are more famous than the FF. Even apart from the team name, people would be more able to name X-Men members than FF.

Well, for me it would be:

1. Superman - Iconic look. Numerous TV shows and movies spanning decades.
2. Batman - Same as Superman.
3. Spider-Man - Not as well known as the above two, mainly because they have a much longer history of success in live action whereas Spider-Man is more well known from cartoons up until the Sam Raimi films. He's still pretty recognizable by everybody though.
4. Hulk - Mentioned in my previous post. A cultural icon in the 70s and 80s.
5. Robin - Not quite as well known as Batman himself, but close.
6. Iron Man - Well known because he's a hot thing at the moment. Completely unknown until the Robert Downey Jr films, where the character became Downey's Jack Sparrow. I don't know whether he will still be well known 20 years down the road, but for right now he has penetrated the main stream media and public consciousness.
7. Wolverine - Thanks to being Hugh Jackman's most famous role.
8. Captain America - They don't know much about him, but they know the look and name.
9. Wonder Woman - Ditto.
10. Fantastic Four - Likewise. The group is more well known than them as individuals. Of the four, Thing is probably the most famous.

Interesting note on Robin. Hadn't considered that. But Wolverine is too high. He's popular now, but he hasn't been in the mainstream for decades like other characters. I would put Wonder Woman a lot higher. She has the luck of being one of the only famous female superhero. And the first well known one.

Aye, I know, he would be fourth I would guess in a poll, if you asked the non-geek crowd in the street to name some superheroes, although, maybe non-geeks wouldn't think of the Hulk rightaway as a superhero, as their minds would immediately go to the capes and masks.
They might not even know he was in comic-books, might just think of the old tv show.

You might be right about that one. But if you ask them specifically who Hulk is, they'll know unless they mistakenly think you are asking about Hulk Hogan instead.

You might be right about that one. But if you ask them specifically who Hulk is, they'll know unless they mistakenly think you are asking about Hulk Hogan instead.

Aye, that was what I was meaning, they know the name and the image, but might not think of him as a superhero, as they would have a narrow definition of what constitutes a superhero.

Interesting note on Robin. Hadn't considered that. But Wolverine is too high. He's popular now, but he hasn't been in the mainstream for decades like other characters. I would put Wonder Woman a lot higher. She has the luck of being one of the only famous female superhero. And the first well known one.

I think a lot of the public would know the name Wonder Woman, but struggle to identify any traits associated with her, the lasso of truth, the bullet deflecting bracelets, that fact she is an amazon.
You would definitely find more people who knew the name Wolverine, and actually knew something about him, claws, funny haircut, ability to heal fast, unbreakable bones.

Last edited:

Wolverine has the benefit of being known right now. Prior to the X-Men movies he was a non-entity, but Hugh Jackman is one of the most well known movie stars in the world and Wolverine was the role that made him and that he's most famous for. Much like Iron Man in 20 years, who knows, but for now I do think he's more recognizable than Wonder Woman.

I think a lot of being know the Hulk name because it's synonymous with someone losing their temper. I can't even count the amount of times i've heard people, who have literally zero interest or knowledge of comics, say something along the lines of "Don't go all incredible Hulk on me" when someone loses their temper.

Wolverine has the benefit of being known right now. Prior to the X-Men movies he was a non-entity, but Hugh Jackman is one of the most well known movie stars in the world and Wolverine was the role that made him and that he's most famous for. Much like Iron Man in 20 years, who knows, but for now I do think he's more recognizable than Wonder Woman.

Aye, Wonder Woman might actually be at that point where there will be a generation who do not really know the name.
My friend has a daughter who is really into superheroes, and he bought her the WW boxset of the old tv show, unless he had done that, I don't know of any way she would have heard of her.

I think you overestimate movie exposure. If you ask people over 30, you might be surprised at the answers. Wolverine is popular now, but it will take quite some time before he reaches Wonder Woman level recognition, if he ever does. Wolverine is a fairly "young" character. He also has had to share the screen. Wonder Woman has had 70 years. I'd put her third. Iron Man is similar, but already had some fame, so he's in the big leagues.

I think a lot of being know the Hulk name because it's synonymous with someone losing their temper. I can't even count the amount of times i've heard people, who have literally zero interest or knowledge of comics, say something along the lines of "Don't go all incredible Hulk on me" when someone loses their temper.

Aye, there are some superheroes who have defining traits that are also well known to the general public. Batman - drives a big car,...Superman - flies...Spider-man, climbs up buildings...Hulk...guy changes into him when angry....Wolverine...claws...Iron-Man..wear armour....Captain america...has shield...I think the most famous thing Wonder woman has going for her in that regard is the spinning around to change her clothes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
picamon
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"