Fallout 4

See this is the kind of stuff I can agree with you with about lol. This is a 9 year old game. There shouldn't be any excuses for this amount of issues.

My fallout fanboyism aside, what's always bothered me about them as a studio is the public at large had given them a free pass up until Fallout 4,76, and now Starfield. If Obsidian or Bioware had released Skyrim, it would been ripped to shreds.

Last edited:
At the current rate the show would be a distant memory by the time a Fallout 5 by Bethesda came out, unless they let another studio like Obsidian do a New Vegas 2. At a 7 year production timeline with 3 big franchises, it would be 21 years between games lol, and 15 years even if down to 5. They need to streamline that massively or staff up or they are not utilising their IP or keeping fans of the individual series (rather than overall Bethesda fans) happy.

I understand development has become a much longer process and I think developers should take as much time as they need. But I think it's kinda absurd that Skyrim came out in 2011 and Elder Scrolls 5 won't be out until 2026 at the earliest. And Fallout 4 in 2015 and Fallout 5 until 2030? Not couting online only games, 15 years inbetween games is just crazy. Bethesda just needs to allow other 3rd party developers work on their IP and create side games in between the mainline games. I'm not saying they should become like Activitstion and churn out a new game every year Call of Duty style but is it too much to ask 3-5 years between? I feel the wait and pressure would be much easier to deal with if they had other developers held burden the load.

I understand development has become a much longer process and I think developers should take as much time as they need. But I think it's kinda absurd that Skyrim came out in 2011 and Elder Scrolls 5 won't be out until 2026 at the earliest. And Fallout 4 in 2015 and Fallout 5 until 2030? Not couting online only games, 15 years inbetween games is just crazy. Bethesda just needs to allow other 3rd party developers work on their IP and create side games in between the mainline games. I'm not saying they should become like Activitstion and churn out a new game every year Call of Duty style but is it too much to ask 3-5 years between? I feel the wait and pressure would be much easier to deal with if they had other developers held burden the load.
Luckily they're Microsofts IPs now so hopefully they pull them away from Todd "the video game equivalent of a used car salesman" Howard. I've also never understood why it takes them so long to churn out games considering how much of the tech, design and narrative ideas and structures are recycled from the previous games.

It's crazy to me that they don't either have a smaller team or another developer they trust use their already finished work on games like Fallout 4 and Skyrim to put out New Vegas style entries for these franchises between mainline releases. The wait between games has escalated into being full generational gaps, and only seems like it will get worse.

Yeah, I bought an XBox Series X last year partially because of Starfield but it was more because I wanted to have it for the next Elder Scrolls. But at the rate Bethesda is going, ES6 will probably only be available for the NEXT generation of consoles (and XBox might be out of the console game by then). I’m still a big fan of their properties but the length of time it takes them to make a game is ridiculous. Compare that to a studio like FromSoft that puts out a high quality, new game every few years and at least in the case of Elden Ring, is nearly the size of Skyrim or a similar game. Or hell… I know everyone hates Ubisoft now for micro transactions or whatever but they were consistently cranking out Skyrim-sized games every couple of years for a while there and they were great (AC Odyssey, Origins and Valhalla are all amazing IMO).

I’m not asking Bethesda to put out content that quickly but the point is, it can be done (and with better graphics and gameplay, I might add).

Yeah, I bought an XBox Series X last year partially because of Starfield but it was more because I wanted to have it for the next Elder Scrolls. But at the rate Bethesda is going, ES6 will probably only be available for the NEXT generation of consoles (and XBox might be out of the console game by then). I’m still a big fan of their properties but the length of time it takes them to make a game is ridiculous. Compare that to a studio like FromSoft that puts out a high quality, new game every few years and at least in the case of Elden Ring, is nearly the size of Skyrim or a similar game. Or hell… I know everyone hates Ubisoft now for micro transactions or whatever but they were consistently cranking out Skyrim-sized games every couple of years for a while there and they were great (AC Odyssey, Origins and Valhalla are all amazing IMO).

I’m not asking Bethesda to put out content that quickly but the point is, it can be done (and with better graphics and gameplay, I might add).
The problem is they SHOULD be able to churn out content that fast considering they've been recycling the same core experience since Morrowind not to mention the systems that get recycled with each go around while continuously dumbing down the actual role playing systems as well. There's absolutely no excuse for why its taking them so long between games. Fallout 4 wasn't even that big and it felt it was missing a substantial amount of content even after all of its DLC hit.

Last edited:
Yeah, it’s not like they have an exceptionally small team and they certainly have the resources after the Xbox acquisition (though they may have been forced to cut staff recently; not sure if the recent Xbox layoffs hit their team or not). Regardless though, even with the amount of side quest content they love to put in their games, they still shouldn’t take as long as they do (especially since, like you said, they use the same game engines over and over). And while the gunplay in Starfield is very good, it’s a little unbelievable that they still haven’t improved melee combat in all these years (fighting with a sword or knife in Starfield is just as aimless as it is in Skyrim).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"