• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Family trapped in wilderness brave sub-zero temperatures by being smart

Teelie

Fish Food
Reaction score
With a seeming lack of good news posted, here's something happier.

This family went on a trek into the mountains to play in the snow. Things got bad when their jeep toppled over but the adults were able to keep everyone safe and alive by being smart and ingenius.

They told people where they were going so when they didn't return people knew where to point. They heated up rocks to stay warm (rather smartly as it's pointed out), they had weather-appropriate clothing, they didn't wander off in search of help and they had food and water to keep them going until help arrived.

Basically they did everything you don't see people do in the movies when they get lost/trapped/injured in the middle of nowhere.

It could have had a much different outcome. A family of six spent two days in the Nevada wilderness in sub-zero temperatures after their Jeep rolled off the side of a dirt road and into a crevice.

James Glanton and his girlfriend Christina McIntee huddled with their two children, and her nephew and niece, keeping everyone together and keeping everyone warm. They suffered no frostbite.

McIntee, 25, and the youngest child Chloe, 3, were released from Pershing General Hospital on Wednesday. Glanton and the other three children continued to receive IV hydration at the hospital. None were expected to face any long-term health problems.

So how did this family manage to survive two days when others may not have been so lucky? Here are five things the family did right:

1) They told relatives where they were going

Knowing where Glanton and McIntee were taking the kids was a huge help to authorities. It narrowed down the scope of the search. The Pershing County Sheriff's Office knew the family had planned to play in the snow in the Seven Troughs mountain range. Even knowing where the family was headed, the search area was still 6,000 square miles.

Contrast their decision to that of Aron Ralston. In 2003, Ralston didn't tell anyone he was going hiking in a remote Utah canyon. He spent nearly a week with part of his right arm pinned under an 800-pound boulder. He made it out only after he amputated his forearm and hiked four hours. Had anyone known where he was, the outcome might have been different.

2) They didn't leave to go find help

Survival expert Joseph Teti said this was key, sticking with the vehicle when you're in trouble. That's better than striking out on your own.

"Mother Nature will not allow you to make too many mistakes at all," said Teti, co-star of Discovery Channel's "Dual Survival."

In 2011, Canadians Albert and Rita Chretien were lost in a very remote section of the Nevada wilderness. They said their GPS took them the wrong way. After a few days, Albert went looking for help. He died. Wife Rita was found alive by a search team some 49 days later.

3) They were prepared for the elements

The family planned a romp in the snow. So they packed heavy winter clothing. As a result, they were ready for their unintended outdoor adventure. The experts say it's best to be prepared for the elements you're traveling in even if you're not planning on being outside for any length of time.

4) They improvised to stay warm

This really impressed authorities.

The couple, who didn't have extra blankets, started a fire outside after the Jeep overturned. They heated rocks and placed them in the spare tire to keep the children, ages 3 to 10, warm at night.

"I have never heard of such a thing, but I think it was pretty clever of him," search team leader Paul Burke with state Department of Public Safety, said of Glanton's tactics. "To the extent he was ingenious about it, that is one for the books."

5) They had food and water

Dr. Vacek said having basic supplies proved to be key, especially having water so they could stay hydrated in the dry conditions. The food didn't last long, it was gone by Monday, but still it was enough to get them by until help came.
CNN

Man that's some slick thinking, good thing they were quick witted. I'd be dead probably

I thought using the spare tire as a fire pit was particularly clever.

Maybe homeless people will finally stop using those damn oil bins :o

:hehe:

The guy was obviously a ST:TNG fan and remembered how they heated rocks to keep warm when they were stranded. :o

They told people where they were going so when they didn't return people knew where to point. They heated up rocks to stay warm (rather smartly as it's pointed out), they had weather-appropriate clothing, they didn't wander off in search of help and they had food and water to keep them going until help arrived.

You'd be amazed, or disturbed, how many people don't know that elementary rule of survival, or strongly believe the complete opposite. I remember doing a disaster simulation at work with the same kind of (in our case) fictional scenario, and I had to argue hard and practically fillibuster my working group to get them to make that crucial initial decision to dig in and construct shelter.

I thought they were goners. Good thing I was wrong.

They were smart. Good job. Maybe more people will realize if you wander away from a wreck in a random direction that your chances of survival drop to this side of a snowballs chance.

They were smart. Good job. Maybe more people will realize if you wander away from a wreck in a random direction that your chances of survival drop to this side of a snowballs chance.
This

Just out of curiosity, is your stance the same if the person is in an urban area with houses nearby and their cel is dead?

Yes but only in the US.

Stay put, wait til dawn then run down the middle of the street screaming "DON'T SHOOT ME" and try to head to a McDonalds. They may not be armed and you can get breakfast while you wait for the tow truck.

not smart enough to avoid going out into the cold; like most animals.

Yes but only in the US.

Stay put, wait til dawn then run down the middle of the street screaming "DON'T SHOOT ME" and try to head to a McDonalds. They may not be armed and you can get breakfast while you wait for the tow truck.

I was going to add "in a zig-zag pattern" but who knows if they confuse you for drunk and Pie knows what would happen then. :(

Hollywood will leap on the rights to this. And they'll add a couple wolves to the mix.

That's why the middle of the street. You can try to go into the other lane if they try to hit you. Then it's not an accident if the follow you.

Hollywood will leap on the rights to this. And they'll add a couple wolves to the mix.

They did. It was that left on a ski lift movie.

I think they'll be safe as long as they don't run across anyone's lawn. Besides...Micky Ds is probably the place to go. In addition to some tasty hash browns, I don't think I've ever seen an armed guard in a McDonald's before.

Good for them. :up: I'm glad nothing too bad happened.

I believe if you absolutely must leave a scene like this you're supposed to leave obvious signs pointing in the direction you are headed and continue to leave a trail.

Unless of course you're on the run and need to hide your tracks in which case the movie you're in will provide you a convienent plot device to safety.

I would say the best way to survive in one of these situations is to be prepared beforehand, and try to keep cool. I would not suggest leaving your car and hoping someone will find a trail that you think is obvious.

That is why I said if it was absolutely necessary. In most cases you'd be better off staying there but there's always that exception where staying in place is more dangerous than moving somewhere else.

Or, you know, not going to play in the GD snow in the middle of freakin' nowhere in the first place. :o

If that's the only place to get snow, then you gotta go to the snow.

Shouldn't the Darwin Award go to people who survive the odds instead of people who die easily?

Everyone should read the winter Darwin awards. Like the one where this guys friend fell off a cliff, he called after him, his friend said he was okay, so he jumped off the cliff thinking it was a shortcut to the bottom and that he'd be fine. His friend was clinging to a ledge five feet down. The other 50 feet was just down.

I'm not going to be a debby downer but they were infinitely lucky they were packing to go on a snow adventure. Imagine if they were just going to see some relatives?

Telling people where you go is something that's soo key but few people think about. I've seen so many survival shows where hikers just go out on a whim and never tell anyone where they are going. What an awesome idea though to put hot rocks in the spare tire as a space heater type ordeal. That was awesome.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"