• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) We may experience a temporary downtime. Thanks for the patience.

Fantastic Four MCU Netflix series?

Spidey-Lad93

Civilian
Reaction score
With the new movie getting bad reviews Fox should sell the rights back to Marvel and we should see a Netflix series and use that to slowly redeem the characters cause I doubt people will want to see another Fantastic Four movie even in The MCU

The FF would require too large a budget to do a Netflix series.

That said, even that would be preferable to Fox taking another swing at it.

Yeah no, way too expensive for netflix. Maybe if it were a 4 episode mini. But it needs to be a movie if something is to happen with the mcu.

The FF would require too large a budget to do a Netflix series.

That said, even that would be preferable to Fox taking another swing at it.

The Fantastic Four, brought to you by a puppet theater troupe from Portland, Oregon would be preferable to Fox taking another swing at it.

No. FF can't be done on a TV budget because of Thing. Unlike other heavy CGI characters in the Marvel U, Colossus, Hulk, Iron Man and Ghost Rider are often Pete Rasputin, Robert Bruce Banner, Tony Stark and John Blaze and look like whoever is portraying them. Ben Grim is Thing 24/7. You cannot do that on a TV budget.

You can have a pretty high budget on netflix. It doesn't really constitute as tv budget. Or even something premium like Game of thrones has a big budget and uses ot accordingly. But i still say no to a netflix series.

To be fair, if Netflix is really planning on doing a Star Wars show they must have some sort of plan in place to do fantastic alien beings on a reasonable budget.

I've read the idea of an MCU Fantastic Four film set in the 60s, with Reed Richards being a badass old school scientist alongside Hank Pym, multiple times on the internet now and it makes me sad for what could've been. :csad:

Somewhere in an alternate universe, there's a great Fantastic Four movie actually made by Marvel because it was one of their flagship comics and that would actually make sense, and a really unmemorable Guardians of the Galaxy movie made by Fox, because why would that obscure series spawn an instant classic film adaption and send its lead actor into the A-list? We're in Bizzaro World.

You can't do Fantastic Four on a Netflix budget. It would basically require the budget that was allocated for Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Iron Fist and Defenders all together.

Just like modern Hulk couldn't be done on a TV budget either.

Just saying, look what we ended up getting for Mr. Hyde on Agents of SHIELD.

You can't do Fantastic Four on a Netflix budget. It would basically require the budget that was allocated for Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Iron Fist and Defenders all together.

Just like modern Hulk couldn't be done on a TV budget either.

Just saying, look what we ended up getting for Mr. Hyde on Agents of SHIELD.[/QUOTE
I agree.
pretty easy to do Daredevil on Netflix
But FF?
Not so much. ]

Thing could be done practically. I personally think a four episode mini-series would be perfect for the Fantastic Four

A clever practical/cgi thing could be accomplished. A 4 episode mini would be great. Or just a great movie franchise.

The great thing about a series is that, like in Daredevil with Fisk, we could explore Doom in an episode separately from the main team, so he wouldn't have to have his origins tied to the accident that gives the team their powers.

The cheap effects for the current film look bad for the big screen, but on TV? I'd welcome them with open arms

If Marvel gets the rights back I imagine they will introduce the FF's properties characters in different movies before trying to tackle their own solo movie again. Fox as done too much damage. I can see them redoing IW to include a heavy emphasis on FF if they get the rights back. Hint at Doom in the film, involve Silver Surfer and Galactus somehow, have the FF show up as researchers/travelers who got started in between Civil War and IW, maybe just skip their origin. Although tbh, since their origin hasn't been done justice yet like Spider-Man's, I'm not sure if they should straight up skip it.

Yeah, that'd be the great thing about FF potentially being a part of the MCU - you don't need to introduce all those elements in their own films. Galactus, Kang and Silver Surfer could show up in Guardians, Captain Marvel or Infinity War, for example.

I personally think Doom is deserving of his own movie

The great thing about a series is that, like in Daredevil with Fisk, we could explore Doom in an episode separately from the main team, so he wouldn't have to have his origins tied to the accident that gives the team their powers.

The cheap effects for the current film look bad for the big screen, but on TV? I'd welcome them with open arms
Those cheap FX are still for what is likely a $125-$150 million+ movie. Once again, can't do it on a TV budget, which would be fraction of the cost.

Your average Netflix show TV episode costs about $3-$4.5 million an episode. That's for a solid hour of footage per episode.

If it goes back to Marvel... I want a cross-over movie with the Inhumans! :gngl:

I think the FF deserve a feature film, however Doom would be perfectly suited for a Netflix mini series.

I think a TV series would be awesome. But yes I agree budget is a concern. At the same time there's been some great sci fi series. Farscape and Battlestar Galactica. Star Trek TNG came out way back in the 80's. And as special effects technology improves it is becoming more accessible for television as well. Shows like the Flash and AOS have demonstrated that you can do some cool stuff on TV. Even so I'm more forgiving of TV effects than I am for big budget films. Blockbusters have no excuse. But for TV you don't expect that level of polish. I just want good story and good characters. I would be OK with a practical Thing for television. I never hated the Chiklis suit either.

In the end, maybe the time is just not right. Maybe it happens but it doesn't happen right away. And when it does the technology will be there to make it work.

But all of this is moot if Fox continue to be jerks and play keep away with these characters. For all we know they may just sit on them for another 7 years just to spite Marvel and fans and wait until the license expires like they did with Daredevil. I hope not. But I wouldn't put it past them.

Budget would definitely be the big problem as not only would the Thing be fully CGI but all the main characters have powers that are highly visual and would require a significant budget. And if it was not given a significant budget then all that happens is the old trick of finding excuses for the characters not to use their powers, and if a character has a power you want them to have the freedom to use them whenever they want, not just when the makers decide its worth spending a bit of extra cash to help with sweeps week.

I posted this on the "Reborn" thread:

The guy who famously said "It's not a disaster" in regards to FFINO is getting kudos for his in-continuity CGI prequel series "Star Wars:Rebels". Which got me to thinking - wouldn't that be a great way to introduce the FF into the MCU?

A CGI series - perhaps on Netflix to distinguish it from the out-of-continuity (and mediocre) Marvel animated shows on Disney XD. Set in the 1960s and in-continuity with the MCU. Start a three year run in 2018, and in the finale show the event that transports the FF to the MCU present.

The 1960s are untapped ground for the MCU, so the FF can be established as the only superheroes in town before moving onward to live action. Cast the actors you want to star in the live action movie as voice actors on the show and you can have a fairly seamless transition between the two. Build up demand for the 2020 feature by putting top talent to work - see if Peyton Reed will supervise the show and subsequent film.

It's a bit of an outside the box idea, but I think it could bring the FF back to the A list status they so clearly deserve.

FOX isn't going to sell the rights back to Marvel largely because Marvel isn't interested in buying them, IMO. They'll get the FF the same way they got DD and that didn't cost them a dime. This movie(if it implodes at the box office, which seems a good possibility) will likely kill the FF at FOX(hopefully) and after sitting around for a number of years the rights will revert and Marvel won't need to spend anything to get them back. Now I'm sure FOX would much rather sell them back and actually get some $ to offset how much this movie is going to lose for them but from Marvel's position they just need to sit back and wait for the inevitable to happen.

I would love to see a continuing adventures type Netflix show. . . but I can't see it being viable. Animation could make it work, but I think the Animation Age Ghetto is still too strong.

Maybe in another 10 years, the CGI cost will be low enough to make it viable. As is, the Thing would break the budget even if done with prosthetics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevezorz
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"