Favorite Film Series

Lord

All Mighty
Reaction score
We live in an age of franchise, as we see films getting revisited time and time again, getting sequels, prequels, spin-offs, etc. Most of the highest grossing films nowadays are also part of a previously extablished franchise, so the question here is, what are your favorite film series? Rate them in order or only state your favorite if you don't want to start going too much in depth.

With things like the Marvel Cinematic Universe, you can consider its characters as different film series, but i don't think it would fit to have Iron Man in number 1, and then have the MCU in number 2, you either rate the franchises separately, or the MCU film series as a whole.

Here are mine

1. Star Wars

694px-Star_Wars_Logo.svg.png

The daddy of Blockbuster franchises, and unlike many other popular film series right now, this one wasn't an adaptation of a book or comic, it grew from Cinema. WIth that said, it makes its future more interesting, because nobody's realy sure of where it will go.

2. Harry Potter

harry_potter_7_posters.jpg

The closest think to the cultural phenomenon of Star Wars, difference is that this time it started as a book series, so people were more hyped for the books due to the fate of the characters being there before reaching the movies.

While i'm not as excited with the future of this franchise as i am with other films, i still rate it highly.

3. Tolkien Legendarium

lord-of-the-rings---trilogy-movie-poster-2003-1020187968.jpg

I rate The Lord of the Rings Trilogy better than the original SW, and the Hobbit trilogy also higher than the Prequel trilogy, but i still don't rate it as highly due to the universes. Tolkien Legendarium is one of my favorite fictional universes, but i prefer SW's.

I'm not a big fan of the Hobbit trilogy, but i think that the Lord of the Rings makes it earn this place.

4. Batman

batman-logo.jpg

Have mixed feeling on its future, but i think that it's brighter than SUperman's or even the rest of the DC universe.

5. Pirates of the Caribbean

Pirates_of_the_Caribbean_logo.jpg

It may be inspired by an atraction, but these films are still pretty much cinematic exclusive, with the plots being created by the team behind the story, they have delivered some interesting ideas.

Disney, however, doesn't seem to care all that much, this is one of their biggest in-house film series, yet they let years pass before starting work on the screenplay, and when they do, usualy don't seem to try giving a strong story, which is the oposite treatment they gave to properties they bought like the MCU and Star Wars.

The films are in a loop, as each one gets progressively weaker than the other, but it's almost criminal to see so many amazing and original concepts wasted, this film series deserves better screenwriters.

I would still consider the 2nd film t be a good film, while the others can be entertaining, but are painfuly flawed.

My first 5

1. terminator series
2. Alien series
3. Star Wars series
4. Batman series (burton and Nolan)
5. Robocop series

What about Bond, James Bond?
You all forgotten about Agent 007, huh?

James Bond is the most enduring. The series can have a decade of sucky installments, and with a fresh actor and director, suddenly bounce back from the abyss.

Star Wars will never bounce back to its 'Empire Strikes Back' heights. The prequels were a series of soulless CGI-infused toy commercials, and I'm not exactly dying to see 70 year old Han and Leia in the new films either.

Pirates had only one good installment, its first.

Nolan's Batman trilogy was great, and I actually thought the Fast & Furious franchise was evolving into an interesting ensemble series before the death of Paul Walker.

Here are mine:

Star Wars

Indiana Jones

James Bond

Star Trek

LOTR

Honorable mention:

Mission Impossible

James Bond is the most enduring. The series can have a decade of sucky installments, and with a fresh actor and director, suddenly bounce back from the abyss.

Star Wars will never bounce back to its 'Empire Strikes Back' heights. The prequels were a series of soulless CGI-infused toy commercials, and I'm not exactly dying to see 70 year old Han and Leia in the new films either.

Pirates had only one good installment, its first.

Nolan's Batman trilogy was great, and I actually thought the Fast & Furious franchise was evolving into an interesting ensemble series before the death of Paul Walker.

The thread is about people's favorite franchises, not the best film series in general when it comes to quality. What atracts me about Star Wars is the universe, about Pirates of the Caribbean, they have great ideas and the franchise has plenty of potential, i'm still hoping it's eventualy saved like Mission Impossible and The Fast and the Furious were.

The thread is about people's favorite franchises, not the best film series in general when it comes to quality. What atracts me about Star Wars is the universe, about Pirates of the Caribbean, they have great ideas and the franchise has plenty of potential, i'm still hoping it's eventualy saved like Mission Impossible and The Fast and the Furious were.

Right. And I was discussing why they're not my favorites. Don't be a thread-dictator. :o

Right. And I was discussing why they're not my favorites. Don't be a thread-dictator. :o

Alright then, i was just asking. JJJ's Ulcer, why don't you post your oun favorite film series then?

1. Harry Potter: I grew up on these books, and I was of an age with Harry in HP & The Sorcerer's Stone when I picked up the first book.

2. The Dark Knight Trilogy: I like how each film is in its own little genre and works as one long narrative or as a series of individual films.

3. Pirates of the Caribbean: The first three. Great ideas, and I loved the sprawling, fast-paced feel of At World's End.

1. Indiana Jones (even 4)
2. Alien
3. Star Wars (OT)
4. Lord of the Rings
5. Back To the Future
6. Marvel Cinematic Universe
7. A Nightmare On Elm Street/Friday the 13th
8. Romero's Dead series (Night, Dawn, Day and Land only though)
9. James Bond
10. Godzilla
11. Die Hard (1,3,4)

Honorable mentions: Pirates of the Caribbean (first 3), TDKT, X-Men, Star Trek (OG cast/reboot) and Lethal Weapon.

Last edited:
Alright then, i was just asking. JJJ's Ulcer, why don't you post your oun favorite film series then?

Okay, no biggie.

My favorite would be the Bond series, just because it's so timeless.

I like the X-franchise, save for a couple terrible installments. I like the Nolan Batman trilogy (although not to the extent of being a Nolan fanboy. It definitely has it's flaws), I like the Indy series except the 4th film of course, which IMO never happened :o . And I started off hating the Fast & Furious franchise but it grew on me when the focus shifted from a souped-up driving series into a comic-booky action series. Obviously Walker's death was first and foremost terrible for his family and friends, but it's also a shame we may never see where they originally planned to go with it. And to be honest, I'll have a tough time watching FF7 and any future movies they do now, because his shadow's gonna hang over it.

Can't believe no one has mentioned my favorite

Planet of the Apes.

Okay, no biggie.

My favorite would be the Bond series, just because it's so timeless.

I like the X-franchise, save for a couple terrible installments. I like the Nolan Batman trilogy (although not to the extent of being a Nolan fanboy. It definitely has it's flaws), I like the Indy series except the 4th film of course, which IMO never happened :o . And I started off hating the Fast & Furious franchise but it grew on me when the focus shifted from a souped-up driving series into a comic-booky action series. Obviously Walker's death was first and foremost terrible for his family and friends, but it's also a shame we may never see where they originally planned to go with it. And to be honest, I'll have a tough time watching FF7 and any future movies they do now, because his shadow's gonna hang over it.
\

I don't know why anyone would think that. It's an awesome movie.

The Harry Potter series - In my opinion, one of the best long running movie franchises that is full quality leading up to a near masterpiece of a finale. I am so honored to have been in this lifetime of the series.
The Dark Knight Trilogy
Star Wars (Both trilogies)
Scream series
The Evil Dead Trilogy
Halloween (1,2,4,5,H20)
Spider-Man Trilogy
Marvel Cinematic Universe
X-Men Series(All except Origins)

Xmen
Marvel's Avengers (Iron Man , Thor, Ca, etc)
Lord of the rings/hobbit
Nolan's Batman trilogy
Indiana Jones
Back to the Future
Star Wars
Star Trek
Harry Potter
Scream
Nightmare on Elm St
Friday the 13th
Bourne films
Mission impossible