World Favorite lightsaber duel?

Darth Maul, double lightsaber is dope.

Indeed. One of the few iconic Star Wars images to have come from the prequels and not the original trilogy.

star-wars-darth-maul-lightsaber-2.jpg

Obi Wan vs Darth Vader gets major points because it's the first light saber duel the world has ever seen, old Obi Wan is one of my favorite characters, and the way it ended was beautiful with Obi Wan willingly becoming one with the force.

Fight with Maul, because I think this duel has absolutely the best choreography, pacing and structure overall. Great epic score too

This is a tough one but I have three and all three are equal. The first one is Vader vs Luke in Empire Strikes back. I love this fight more for the revelation that Vader was Luke father which I figured out while watch Star Wars New Hope.

The second one is the second fight between Vader and Luke in Return of the Jedi. This fight was more of a mental fight then a physical fight. There was a lot going on during that encounter then I think most people realize that. There was a lot of depth to that encounter.

The third is Obi Wan vs Anakin which was a very emotional battle. It was filled with rage and anger. It was an epic battle that I had been waiting to see for years.

On that note here a little video for all you Star War fans

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agcc7w8YmHo

The thing with that Obi Wan vs Anakin fight is... if it was so filled with emotion... why are they twirling their lightsabers around like it's some kind of ballet performance? It was overly choreographed and fake looking.

The second one is the second fight between Vader and Luke in Return of the Jedi. This fight was more of a mental fight then a physical fight. There was a lot going on during that encounter then I think most people realize that. There was a lot of depth to that encounter.

This is my favorite...what makes it so emotional...the score...it adds so much more during the duel.

The thing with that Obi Wan vs Anakin fight is... if it was so filled with emotion... why are they twirling their lightsabers around like it's some kind of ballet performance? It was overly choreographed and fake looking.

I disagree. It was meant to demonstrate that they were evenly matched in both skill and power.

There's a fantastic moment when both Anakin and Obi-Wan are so synchronous, giving themselves over fully to the fluidity of the combat itself and they are so fast that for a fleeting instant their blades don't clash JUST before they get right back into it. That's awesome. This manifests again in the moment directly afterwards when they both use the Force on each other. Again, in that moment, there is no upper hand. They are so powerful in their mutual uses of the Force that, like opposite poles of a magnet, one step out of that balance throws them both across the room.

In that scenario of a lightsaber fight, how else could that point come across if not through choreography? These are Jedi (Jedi and Sith, rather) at the peek of their powers and capabilities. The prequels demonstrated what these warriors were fully capable of whereas the original trilogy confrontations were all held between either an elderly Jedi and a mortally wounded Sith or said Sith and a young, inexperienced padawan thrust into conflict with the added emotional distress of realizing his own parentage is partially to blame for everything wrong in the galaxy.

I disagree. It was meant to demonstrate that they were evenly matched in both skill and power.

There's a fantastic moment when both Anakin and Obi-Wan are so synchronous, giving themselves over fully to the fluidity of the combat itself and they are so fast that for a fleeting instant their blades don't clash JUST before they get right back into it. That's awesome. This manifests again in the moment directly afterwards when they both use the Force on each other. Again, in that moment, there is no upper hand. They are so powerful in their mutual uses of the Force that, like opposite poles of a magnet, one step out of that balance throws them both across the room.

In that scenario of a lightsaber fight, how else could that point come across if not through choreography? These are Jedi (Jedi and Sith, rather) at the peek of their powers and capabilities. The prequels demonstrated what these warriors were fully capable of whereas the original trilogy confrontations were all held between either an elderly Jedi and a mortally wounded Sith or said Sith and a young, inexperienced padawan thrust into conflict with the added emotional distress of realizing his own parentage is partially to blame for everything wrong in the galaxy.

Except they aren't. Anakin is far more powerful, and more skilled.

No, they are. Sorry you can't see it.
I am sorry you are obviously wrong. Anakin is far more talented, and it has manifested in him being a better warrior then Obi-Wan. Not that Obi-Wan is a pushover, he isn't. But there is a reason that in two straight movies Dooku whoops Obi-Wan with ease, while Anakin test him the first time and then cuts his head off in the second. Anakin doesn't just defeat Dooku, arguably the finest duelist in the galaxy, he destroys him. Obi-Wan is the Negotiator. Anakin Skywalker is the warrior.

Lucas and others have talked about how they had to tone Anakin down in the final battle because no one would believe Obi-Wan could hang with him. They removed numerous ideas including one where where Anakin would cut the walls and throw the metal bits at Obi-Wan.

The fight is this. The stronger, more skilled, more powerful student, fighting the master who taught him what he knows. Obi-Wan hangs because he knows Anakin and his moves and in the end uses his arrogance and rage to defeat him. But in no way is Obi-Wan on the same skill or power level as Anakin.

Last edited:
No.

Yes, Anakin was a fiercer fighter given the amplification of his powers by succumbing to the dark side, but none of what you said explains this moment, which is what we were talking about:

6827383467_38cb77135d_o.gif

This moment clearly demonstrated that Anakin and Obi-Wan were equals. I'm just going to copy and paste what I said before:

Anakin and Obi-Wan are so synchronous, giving themselves over fully to the fluidity of the combat itself and they are so fast that for a fleeting instant their blades don't clash JUST before they get right back into it.

You're not right about this, I'm sorry.

If Anakin was so much more powerful in the obvious way you're trying to claim, than the fight wouldn't have lasted as long as it did.

1. Obi-Wan Kenobi vs. Anakin Skywalker (Revenge of the Sith)
2. Qui-Gon Jinn and Obi-Wan Kenobi vs Darth Maul (The Phantom Menace)
3. Luke Skywalker vs Darth Vader (The Empire Strikes Back)
4. Yoda vs Darth Sidious (Revenge of the Sith)
5. Luke Skywalker vs Darth Vader (Return of the Jedi)
6. Anakin Skywalker and Obi-Wan Kenobi vs. Count Dooku (Revenge of the Sith)
7. Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi vs Darth Vader (A New Hope)
8. Anakin Skywalker, Obi-Wan Kenobi, and Yoda vs Count Dooku (Attack of the Clones)
9. Mace Windu vs Darth Sidious (Revenge of the Sith)
10. Obi-Wan Kenobi vs General Grievous (Revenge of the Sith)

Last edited:
The Mythbusters simulated Number 1 on your list on their show yesterday.
They did a pretty good job too.
I suppose my favorite is the battle between Luke and Vader at the end of ESB.

My top three:

1. Luke v Vader (TESB)
2. Obi-Wan v Anakin (ROTS)
3. Obi-Wan/Qui-Gon v Darth Maul (TPM)

Can't decide between Empire & Jedi. They're easily the two that stand head and shoulders above the rest. And I think that, for me, it's mainly because of the locations the two fights take place in, in addition to the weight and tension in them. Empire's Cloud City is just this vast, mammoth like structure that feels endless and labyrinth-like. It's the cool thing about Empire - despite the fight taking them to much larger, spacious locations, the desperate circumstances of the duel just makes it feel all the more enclosed, claustrophobic and tense. The best part of the duel is when Vader finally corners Luke on that little gantry that hangs over this bottomless abyss. It looks so beautiful and epic.

Jedi doesn't have that feeling as much, but the Emperor's throne room, with its windows cloaked in the bluish light of the moon, is just as gorgeous ad somber to look at. And I love how everyone in the scene is dressed in black. Makes it feel all the more morbid and depressing. The fight is much more restrained, lending the scene more to talking and reasoning, but that makes it feel all the more exciting when the lightsabers are finally reignited. And I've always thought the look of Luke's green saber crashing against Vader's red one is a very beautiful looking image. Especially when the music starts up and Luke finally loses his s--t and chases Vader through the throne room. I also enjoy how Luke is so much more capable of defending himself and going on the offensive. He comes across like a real badass in this one.

So yeah, can't decide between Empire and Jedi.

1. Jedi/Empire - Luke vs Vader
2. TPM - Maul vs Jinn & Obi Wan
3. TFA - Ren vs Rey and Finn
4. ROTS - Anakin vs Obi Wan
5. AOTC - Dooku vs Obi Wan and Anakin
6. ANH - Obi Wan vs Darth Vader

Didn't get to vote but I think I have to go with luke Vader fight episode 6. Episode 5 is great to expectialny when vader starts to like threw things at luke and he is just getting so over whelmed but I love the dialog with them in 6. So you have a sister a twin sister. Now your felling's have be trade her to. If you wont join the dark side then maybe she will. Gives me chills ever time and the music that starts right before luke goes crazy on vader is like the best music in the saga out side of the star wars main theme.

Anakin vs Obi-Wan , this is long fight and great ending

My top 7 Star Wars Lightsaber Duels:

tumblr_inline_nbi6gpSPAA1s1oc60.gif

6B0EFS8.gif

tumblr_m4dgr8Ms2j1ro0pz8o2_500.gif

tumblr_nkn8ezd4xE1s6fqh2o1_500.gif

3WfriO7.gif

kgx2d2F.gif

tumblr_nwvvpmhLpH1uofr2ko6_r2_500.gif

Last edited:
  1. Obi-Wan Kenobi vs. Anakin Skywalker (Revenge of the Sith)
  2. Qui-Gon Jinn and Obi-Wan Kenobi vs Darth Maul (The Phantom Menace)
  3. Luke Skywalker vs Darth Vader (The Empire Strikes Back)
  4. Yoda vs Darth Sidious (Revenge of the Sith)
  5. Rey & Finn vs. Kylo Ren (The Force Awakens)
  6. Luke Skywalker vs Darth Vader (Return of the Jedi)
  7. Anakin Skywalker and Obi-Wan Kenobi vs. Count Dooku (Revenge of the Sith)
  8. Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi vs Darth Vader (A New Hope)
  9. Anakin Skywalker, Obi-Wan Kenobi, and Yoda vs Count Dooku (Attack of the Clones)
  10. Mace Windu vs Darth Sidious (Revenge of the Sith)

Updated list

My Top 5 would be:

1. Luke vs Darth Vader (ESB)
2. Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan vs Darth Maul (TPM)
3. Obi-Wan vs Anakin (ROTS)
4. Mace Windu vs Darth Sidious (ROTS)
5. Luke vs Darth Vader (ROTJ)

Obi-Wan vs Darth Vader in A New Hope. In all seriousness, probably the fight between Darth Maul, Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon Jinn.

Qui-Gon Jinn and Obi-Wan vs Darth Maul (Episode 1).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"