Iron Man 3 Favorite villain of the trilogy?

How is it that anyone is choosing Vanko?

I just felt like it was the most personal conflict Tony faced.He felt more like "Khan" to Tony's "Kirk",if that makes any sense.With Stane it wasn't truly personal.(at least,I always felt he just wanted Tony out of the way,not that he hated his guts.)

Rourke did a good job of making him the most menacing villain.And I thought his Whip gimmick and Suit was really cool,if underutilized.

Why the f**k are people still putting things in spoiler tags? Movie's been out for a while now... also, Mandarin and Aldrich Killian should not be separate poll options.

Why the f**k are people still putting things in spoiler tags? Movie's been out for a while now... also, Mandarin and Aldrich Killian should not be separate poll options.
It may not be out in some countries yet, i remember TDKR premiering here preciselly one week after the USA, by that time almost nobody used spoiler tags anymore, giving the same reasons you're stating.

It may not be out in some countries yet, i remember TDKR premiering here preciselly one week after the USA, by that time almost nobody used spoiler tags anymore, giving the same reasons you're stating.

Too bad for the few countries. That's honestly how I feel, seeing as how the majority of us have seen it. Spoiler tags aren't necessary at this point. But if that's how you feel, go ahead. I just don't agree with it.

Too bad for the few countries. That's honestly how I feel, seeing as how the majority of us have seen it. Spoiler tags aren't necessary at this point.
When Europe got The Avengers almost one month before the USA almost everybody kept quiet and was respectful about those that didn't see it yet. :doh:

When Europe got The Avengers almost one month before the USA almost everybody kept quiet and was respectful about those that didn't see it yet. :doh:

Yeah, that's because it was the USA. If I recall correctly, it's common here to wait until after the US release of a movie(since Europe gets some movies earlier) until we start freely talking about spoilers. Seeing as how the USA and Europe have gotten it, I don't really see a problem in this case. Those two places pretty much make up the majority of the Hype, I think.

I dunno, it's still a little too risky and may alienate those that didn't watch the film yet.

Personally, when I haven't seen a film yet and it has been released in other markets, I stay out of folders about that movie. It is just common sense if you don't want spoilers.

Other folders are different. I would expect that stuff to be tagged.

**** it, yeah. It was all revenge. Despite what the villain himself outright states in the movie. Insightful analysis, let's pack it in everyone. It's been decided that you can ignore parts of the movie to pass judgment on it.

This. He's not after Tony for revenge. He's after Tony because Maya told him that they need Tony to perfect the Extremis formula, which is currently unstable.

Yep. Killian wasn't after Tony for vengeance, and actually tried to kill him earlier in the movie with that helicopter attack.

It wasn't until after Maya told him Tony would be useful that Killian changed his tune a little. Also, I think he resented Tony a bit because of the Pepper thing too.

:o

It's a sad day when Obadiah Stane is winning a best villain poll. No disrespect to Jeff Bridges, of course. He did a fine job.

Killian. It was just beautiful, it was effortless, he was as laissez faire in his villany as Tony is with his heroics. It was beautiful and it was in your face from the outset, Pearce absolutely nailed this role.

:o

It's a sad day when Obadiah Stane is winning a best villain poll. No disrespect to Jeff Bridges, of course. He did a fine job.

What does that tell you about the other villains? Whiplash wasn't a threat and was very one dimensional. Mandarin/Killian was such a mess of a character, IMO, that it ruined it for me (especially ruined Mandarin, but we've all been there). Justin Hammer and Raza were just pawns, no threat, whatever.

Killian. It was just beautiful, it was effortless, he was as laissez faire in his villany as Tony is with his heroics. It was beautiful and it was in your face from the outset, Pearce absolutely nailed this role.

If this is based on performance in the role, it would HAVE to go to Bridges as Stane. Pearce did a great job, but Bridges' performance in IM was special.

If we're adding more names to the list, then I'm voting for "Whiny Fanboys." :word: Biggest villains of all time.

Hmm, I'd add "Apathetic about faithfulness-to-source-material Cine'stas" before them.

How is it that anyone is choosing Vanko?

Don't get me wrong, I think Mickey Rourke did a decent job in portraying a Russian thug...but let's not forget that the original Vanko villan (Anton) was Crimson Dynamo, not Whiplash.

Sure, in the multiple revamped 616 continuity, Anton is now Whiplash, but he is much longer known as the Dynamo, and his backstory is more established as Dynamo.

In recent years, Whiplash has been used as an amalgamation villan far too often, being a generic female foe (AEMH), being a robotic assassin of Mr. Fix (IM:AA) or a handful of other appearances. But his first appearance against Iron Man wasn't even as a Vanko villan! He was in fact Mark Scarlotti. Whiplash only became a Vanko villan in 2010.

In my mind, the worst villan portrayal was Whiplash, followed closely by Mandarin.

But there have been many CD's and more than one Whiplash. How many Mandarin's have there been?

Stane was the only menacing and quality antagonist. A hero is only as good as the challenges, people, and obstacles he faces. That's why this trilogy was garbage outside of the first film. Stark faced nothing but clowns, and frauds. Kinglsey was legit as Mandarin, till he went into the comedy routine (although I found it entertaining)

Obadiah Stane definitely, a character's betrayal that hits so close to home. Joker you nail the reasoning perfectly. A part of me wished he wasn't killed off in the first film. Killian isn't too far behind as with Killian there definitely was a high level of threat but his whole "I AM THE MANDARIN" thing kinda made me take the character less seriously after that. Looks like he was still that "nerdy" guy after all this time swallowed by overconfidence.

What does that tell you about the other villains? Whiplash wasn't a threat and was very one dimensional. Mandarin/Killian was such a mess of a character, IMO, that it ruined it for me (especially ruined Mandarin, but we've all been there). Justin Hammer and Raza were just pawns, no threat, whatever.

It tells me that possibly the biggest flaw of this trilogy is that the first film had the best villain by far. There was zero escalation from a writing standpoint. Whiplash was pure wasted potential. Whiplash during those opening credits was so promising. Then he is pissed away after he shows up in Monaco. And yep, Killian was an utter mess.

Killian. One of my faveourite movie villains of all time I think.

Ivan Vanko,

because he's the only villain in the entire trilogy that when i found out about his motive, I went: "Oh, I can see why he's taking a shot at Tony."

"What your family did to my family over 40 years, I'll give it to you in 40 minutes.."
(i think that's what he told Tony on the phone)

from that point, i think his motive is the most understandable one while i'm not saying Stane & Killian are bad, but they had a similar "trying to get rid of my rival once and for all" kind of thing. Well, Hammer also had that motive but since he's so funny to watch especially a scene where he demonstrate the ex-wife, He's my second favorite :D

I'd say Stane, just because of Jeff Bridge's performance. One of the great comic book movie villain performances I've seen.

2nd but close would be Killian. What I loved about it, was he wasn't seeking revenge about Tony. In fact he thanked Tony for giving him the motivation to make himself more than he was. He only needed Tony because he had the stabilization formula for Extremis.

Of the main villains Obadiah Stane is probably my favourite...

But of all of them? Eric Savin, by a long way

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kimcity
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"