Forced unnecessary humor?

I say in my review that Kat Dennings stops just short of being "JUST FRAG HER ALREADY" territory.

The trouble is that territory varies depending on the person you ask. But I expect I'll enjoy the humor. I'm pretty easy going on that stuff, provided it makes me laugh. I can often forgive humor that even kind of derails the film a bit as long as it's funny. What I can't take are attempts at humor that fall flat and/or make you do this :whatever:[......cough....all of Raimi's Spider-Man movies...cough].

The trouble is that territory varies depending on the person you ask. But I expect I'll enjoy the humor. I'm pretty easy going on that stuff, provided it makes me laugh. I can often forgive humor that even kind of derails the film a bit as long as it's funny. What I can't take are attempts at humor that fall flat and/or make you do this :whatever:[......cough....all of Raimi's Spider-Man movies...cough].

I agree,as much as I love the Spider-Man films they were disappointingly unfunny. J.K.Simmons was the only one with any comedic ability.

Dennings is far from annoying in Thor and the majority of the humour comes from Hemsworth himself [BLACKOUT]and in two cases Jane's car, the second of which had me and my cinema in stitches[/BLACKOUT].

Yeah, if it wasn't for JK Simmons there wouldn't be ANY effective humor in those films.

The God of Thunder get's tasered???

That's just a sample.

There's all kind of crappy unnecessary bad jokes, situations and campy comedy all over the Earth scenes. But then again, most superhero movies are forced to have this kind of crap. A movie killer IMO.

Take the terrible jokes out and you immediately have a better movie. And also the feeling that Portman's character does little in the movie.

No fan of Dennings, but her
Meirmier, who's Miermier?
was pretty funny :)

Oh yes, and if Portman's character was barely useful as a love interest, her feriend did nothing but those crappy jokes throuighout the whole movie.

I mean, [BLACKOUT]not knowing how to pronounce a word[/BLACKOUT]??? That's funny? Really?

Last edited:
Hell, I laughed at the tasered scene just from the trailer & clip. I imagine seeing it in full context will only improve upon it.

The humor was fine, although I would have prefered a tiny bit more of drama and seriousness in certain parts. Like the Hospital. I had hoped he would be treated like a lunatic for a short time. But his short freak out quickly turned into a comedic moment.

And one of my favorite parts.

"I need a horse!" :funny:

Hell, I laughed at the tasered scene just from the trailer & clip. I imagine seeing it in full context will only improve upon it.

Well, context changes nothing. And it certainly does nothing for the movie. You cut that part out and the movie keeps being the same. No, scratch that, becomes better.

I don't see how, but I'll find out in 4 days.

I don't see how, but I'll find out in 4 days.

To give the main charcater dignity is always a good idea. If you're maiking a joke about him, let it be justified. In this case you'll find out that the tasering is just one of many similar(ly unfunny) jokes with Thor in them.

Yeah, Thor turned into a joke a couple too many times simply because he turned mortal. Even if the jokes were funny, I would have prefered a slightly more serious tone. More into the direction of The Incredible Hulk, less like Ironman.

Well, context changes nothing. And it certainly does nothing for the movie. You cut that part out and the movie keeps being the same. No, scratch that, becomes better.
I think it does. It shows he's as mortal as we are. The point of the movie is to show a fallen God, who has to be taught a lesson.

I just wish it were a longer film. If you stop and think about it, it took YEARS in the comics for Thor to learn humility, yet he earns Mjolnir back in a relatively short time. Not to mention being able to go back to Asgard right away. I would have been happier if Thor weren't allowed back to Asgard until AFTER the Avengers. Kind of like being tested by Odin before raising his banishment.

Yeah, Thor turned into a joke a couple too many times simply because he turned mortal. Even if the jokes were funny, I would have prefered a slightly more serious tone. More into the direction of The Incredible Hulk, less like Ironman.
I absolutely LOVED the script and the Humor in it. I'll have to see it first to see how it's applied.
TOO serious of a movie to ME changes the Genre of the film. It is a COMIC book film.

That's why I said The Incredible Hulk. Not Ang Lee's Hulk.

True, I liked alot of what went on in Ang's Hulk, but the BIGGEST thing that annoyed me was those damned "comic panel" scene changes. I could deal with the HUGE size of Hulk but that was way too distracting.

That's why I said The Incredible Hulk. Not Ang Lee's Hulk.

Even in TIH I found the humor to be too sparse. And half the time it was there it worked(Bruce saying the don't make me angry line in Portugese and flubbing it and Betty going apes***t at the crazy cab driver) and the other half I was just a wee bit annoyed(the stupid purple pants gag). The most humorously interesting person in the film was Sterns.

I can enjoy a movie without many gags. I simply loved the interaction between Hiddleston and Hemsworth and practically any character moments. I would have greatly sacrificed some of the jokes for the truly good stuff.

Why not have both? I don't subscribe to the philosophy that they are mutually exclusive.

Because I personally enjoy dramatic character moments more, than having them end up as the butt of the joke one time too many.

Well that's where balance comes in. And from what I've heard by most, this film has that.

But to me there's nothing more annoying than a film that takes itself more seriously that it deserves to be given the story/premise. That's just like nails on a chalk board to me[cough....TDK......cough].

Well that's where balance comes in. And from what I've heard by most, this film has that.

But to me there's nothing more annoying than a film that takes itself more seriously that it deserves to be given the story/premise. That's just like nails on a chalk board to me[cough....TDK......cough].
heh then this thread would be called "Forced unnecessary HAMMER" :D

Me too. With certain characters, abusing of comedy to explain things is very dangerous and out of place. Hulk, for example, is a very difficult one. Those jokes about stretchy pants... I mean... the character does better without them.

I think it does. It shows he's as mortal as we are. The point of the movie is to show a fallen God, who has to be taught a lesson.

Showing that is perfect. Thing is if cheap comedy is the best way to do it.

Now, tell me what you want but I think they did a better comedic attempt in the TV movie "The Incredible Hulk Returns." No need to tell me they needed a better story and a bigger budget. But the jokes around Thor trying to adapt to live on Earth were funny. And at some point you could see Thor's tender and kind-hearted nature through some of them. At some point he was dancing with some girls and having fun like a little kid. That scene did more than just trying to catch a couple of cheap laughs.

I just wish it were a longer film. If you stop and think about it, it took YEARS in the comics for Thor to learn humility, yet he earns Mjolnir back in a relatively short time. Not to mention being able to go back to Asgard right away. I would have been happier if Thor weren't allowed back to Asgard until AFTER the Avengers. Kind of like being tested by Odin before raising his banishment.

I agree. And please, the movie should try and explain how is that he fell in love with such an ephemeral character as Portman's.

Why not have both? I don't subscribe to the philosophy that they are mutually exclusive.

In superhero movies they are, all the time. The only time I've seen it fully work is when the whole thing is a comedy like in The Green Hornet.

The humor was fine, although I would have prefered a tiny bit more of drama and seriousness in certain parts. Like the Hospital. I had hoped he would be treated like a lunatic for a short time. But his short freak out quickly turned into a comedic moment.

My favorite comedic part! :funny:

Dennings is far from annoying in Thor and the majority of the humour comes from Hemsworth himself [BLACKOUT]and in two cases Jane's car, the second of which had me and my cinema in stitches[/BLACKOUT].

You and me both. Pretty much everyone in the cinema lol'd when she ran over him the second time and said "I swear to god I'm not doing this on purpose".

I didn't find the humour forced which is surprising since I had half expected it from seeing the trailers, but it's pretty good in the movie and it doesn't take up half the movie either. It was pretty serious when it needed to be.

Not the exact quote but....

"We don't have one of those. We sell dogs and birds."

"Then give me one of those big enough to ride."

I mean, [BLACKOUT]not knowing how to pronounce a word[/BLACKOUT]??? That's funny? Really?

If I ask really nicely, will you allow me to still think it was funny?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"